Unsustainable?

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by Cheeses, Oct 1, 2013.

1. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:stanley:

Loftus: People are annoying, therefore craft beer sucks and needs to go away.
  2. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

Probably happened one time with a 22 year old who just discovered craft beer the week before.
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I've come across a few beer snobs here and there. That's not the norm. Most people who like craft beer don't give a shit if you prefer Bud Light. The thing that annoys most people who like craft beer are the chodes who think Shocktop or Blue Moon is a craft beer and the best thing ever.
  4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Variety is a good thing. I don't care what anybody else drinks. I drink plenty of Miller products myself. I also don't talk about craft beer unless somebody else brings it up because the potential douchiness factor is high.

Of course you have your hipster element pulling the standard "you've probably never heard of" routine, but I don't usually listen to hipsters and, on the rare occasion that one corners me, I probably HAVE heard of it and am able to correct them when they inevitably say something wrong.
    Ziggy and CaptainBallz like this.
  5. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I don't know... I simply can't drink the macro stuff anymore. It's like drinking shitty water. Maybe if I'm on a boat and all there is is a miller light, maybe then. But if there's any sort of choice, and these days there usually is, I'm going with craft, mostly for flavor, but also because I don't need to drink as much with crafts.
  6. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

I'm still good for an Old Style if I'm looking for something lighter with BIG taste. I usually don't waste my time with crafts that are too light., unless it's summertime grillin' haps and I'm drinking an All Day IPA.

I'll still do shit beer at sporting events 9 times out of 10
  7. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Not really much choice there, I reckon. Although at A's & Giants games you can get Sierra Nevada, Gordon Biersch and Pyramid.

For about $75 a bottle
  8. Zoso

I drink bourbon and then Miller Lite is fine with me. I like the aluminium bottles.
  9. CaptainBallz

Gotta get your ass back to the Cell... They have quite a few craft-y options at dedicated stands. And Churros
    Fuller likes this.
  10. Cheeses

Cheeses The canvas can do miracles Cupcake Mod

I usually drink Old Style at the Cell. I like the tall boy size, makes me feel like I'm not getting as ass-raped on the $$$ as buying a 12-ozer for the same price.
  11. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

One of you guys should make a master list of all the worthwhile micros organized by what kind of beer it is. I'm often overwhelmed when I walk into a large liquor store and I don't know what is good. I think a lot of people ignore the micros because they don't want to take the time necessary to find out which ones suck and to avoid those.

I mostly drink Coors, but I do enjoy something different often that has good taste.
  12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'll never drink another beer again
  13. CaptainBallz

Sites like beeradvocate have pretty reliable ratings that you can look up if you're leery about pulling the trigger on something. It depends on what you like, but it seems like the "gateway" beers into the craft world are a little more fruity or wheaty, like Matilda or Gumballhead. You also wouldn't be doing anything wrong to try some Alpha King or even Fat Tire. Those are all different beers that would at least give you a sense of a style you prefer.

Part of the "thing" with these beers is trial and error though, so you kinda have to be willing to do that. In the end, it's beer, and you're drinking it, so things can't be all that bad.
    Fuller likes this.
  14. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Unfortunately, that’s the truth. And, of course, that’s the reason it causes me so much pain is because you’re all my children. I have fucked the ape to create you and you’re a bunch of fuck-ups and I’m very disappointed in you. Your entire race has been a letdown. And for that, you must die. You must be wiped clean from this world and I will fuck something else. That’s why I want to fuck a blue whale, because I’m pretty sure if I fuck a blue whale, which I’ve never been able to, I’ll be able to get it right. Then I can create something that I can totally build an army with.
  15. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

The best is as Ballz said, just start doing trial and error. If you're at a good place people can usually describe what the beer is, what the flavor is like and what style, then just try out different stuff. Eventually you'll find a path or style you really like and then you're ready to go for the most part.

I typically don't order the same thing twice unless I have a choice or it's my all-time favorite beer — more times than not I'll look through a tap list and find something I've never had before and we what it's like. If it's good, I'll stick with that for the night.

It's all about discovering on your own. I can list a whole bunch of Amber Ales and IPAs I like but Bevi is going to come and tell you he hates those and Stouts are his favorite, then Ballz might say Bevi is wrong because he hates those... it's all about YOUR preference and what you like.

In conclusion, I'm a fuck because I try new things. COORZ 4 LYFE.
    CaptainBallz and Fuller like this.
  16. Fuller

My old buddy and I loved to experiment with micros back when we lived in Seattle. We'd often try to see who could come up with the most outlandishly named beer. Had a lot of fun doing it with only a fraction of the choices that are out there these days. It is nice if you can find a store that will let you create you own mix & match 6-pack, that way you don't lose $8 taking a chance on Wicked Dick's Sodomizer Ale and discovering it is putrid. The real epiphany is when you learn what types of beer you really like (ales vs. lagers vs. stouts vs. IPAs &c) and then you can experiment better within the categories themselves. That is where the real fun is. For instance, my fave styles are IPAs, wheat beers, stouts and belgian ales. I stay away from most fruity stuff except the shandys.
    AnthraxFan93 likes this.
  17. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I had mine in Columbus last month: 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale.

It was good stuff.
    Fuller likes this.
  18. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

:gay:

:willsmith:
  19. SABRSox

I guy I work with said in a perfect world, every time he went to a bar and ordered a beer, he'd be trying something he's never had before. I like that kind of approach to it.

I have my classic go to's, but these days if I see something I've not tried before, I usually opt for that than having yet another Sculpin (which is still delicious every time)
    Fuller likes this.
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Experimenting can be daunting, because there's just so much and it's not cheap. For the same reason, it's impossible to make a general list. Find out a beer type you like, and we'd be glad to make suggestions.
    Deuce and BeviBall like this.
  21. SABRSox

22. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Put it on the board.

BHB.PNG
    Ziggy, Fuller, BeviBall and 2 others like this.
  23. CaptainBallz

24. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Easiest way to approach beer is figure out what styles you like and branch out from there. It can get expensive if you like most like me.

Basic rule of thumb is drink local because it's always fresh.
  25. CaptainBallz

Yeah, I've saved myself tons of heartache and $$ once I realized I can do without Belgians and pretty much the entire upper right corner of the chart. I'll drink a Belgian if need be, but I'm not inclined to purchase any... Although I did enjoy this Black Belgian I had at teh Rock Island Public House recently.
  26. skottyj

They have Coors light on that chart. I approve of that chart.
  27. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

I don't see Stone on the chart from a first glance..

on a side note; I just found my Bible.
  28. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Sam's Oktoberfest is a fantastic beer and an amazing deal. Case at Costco for $22.99.
  29. skottyj

I went to a Great Lakes beer tasting on Saturday. Of the four I had they all were sucky. I liked the Octoberfest the most and I would never drink one again. But at least I tried.
  30. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

One of the Great Lakes dudes is from Chicago. They should open a brewpub here. The one in Cleveland is great and they have a shuttle to the sports venues, which aren't far away but are probably a little too far to walk.
  31. Zoso

Is it too much to ask to sit down somewhere and get a decent pint of beer and maybe a burger on a pretzel bun?
  32. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

what ever happened to hittin' the bars, out on the scene 'n shit?
    Cheeses likes this.
  33. AnthraxFan93

I got married is what happened. Going to a bar now for me is like a 400lb man on a diet hitting an all you can eat buffet.
  34. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  35. AnthraxFan93

ZMZ, Sadly at work can't see what you posted.
  36. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

here comes another cat, all excited to run up in it
  37. AnthraxFan93

Lucky, my wife is allergic to cats..
  38. skottyj

I don't understand; so does that mean when you go out you drink a ton? Or not?
  39. itsnotrequired

40. skottyj

Classic.
  41. AnthraxFan93

Not, I can't recall last time I went a bar and got hammered. It also doesn't help I'm 36.. and downing a bottle of Kettle and then another 1/2 bottle of shots makes for a long recovery
  42. skottyj

I'm 34 and I went the the bar and got hammered six times in the last week.
    y2chae likes this.
  43. AnthraxFan93

I slowed down when I hit 32.. Got boring to me at least. And main reason I went to bars was to pick up chicks.. now that is gone; not much to do in a bar..
  44. Cheeses

You could try to pick up dudes, just to shake things up.

:shrug:
    IWMB, skottyj and AnthraxFan93 like this.
  45. Fuller

46. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

47. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

JUST WANNA FEEL THE PASSION AGAIN!
  48. itsnotrequired

:silenced:
    AnthraxFan93, IWMB, y2chae and 2 others like this.
  49. skottyj

Party till you puke.
  50. Cheeses