Unsustainable Craft Beer Industry Continues to Grow

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by FedEx, Aug 6, 2012.

1. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What started the unsustainable craft beer meme on this site
  3. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I was wondering the same thing.
  4. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I believe it was either maurice or INR.
  5. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

Right it was one of them....
  6. 1951Campbell

1951Campbell Free Legal Advice/Beatles Hater

7. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

mo planted the seed but i grew it into a mighty meme

big boner
    Deuce likes this.
  8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The craft beer pie is increasing, but the number of slices is increasing at a much faster (unsustainable) rate:

A good % of these will go out of business shortly. Meanwhile, A-B and Miller-Coors are buying craft companies, arguably turning them into macro-brews.

Speaking of macro-owned fake-micro-brews, the next Tenth and Blake free beer thing is 8/16:
    http://august2012brewersunleashed.eventbrite.com/
  9. MVP

MVP Active Member

The three tier system pretty much locks the small guys into being small. For the brand to grow they pretty much have to sell out to the big guys.
  10. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

Batch 19 by Miller-Coors is not bad.. Not great but not bad
    chops likes this.
  11. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Neighborhood joints in the city like West on North and High Dive, the 2 bars me and sycked frequent are not in trouble. The places that should probably be worried are crappy chain type places like Bar Louie or Fox & Hound.

But important to note that taprooms don't have food. There's been a few times after work me and co workers opted to go to Bavarian Lodge instead of Alter's taproom because we didn't want to make an extra stop to grab food after work. Food trucks aren't always present at taprooms. Brewpubs seem to be insanely popular in the city. Revolution, Old Irving, Forbidden Root, Half Acre, Piece, Goose Clyborn are almost always packed on a Fri or Sat night.
  13. chops

chops never met prope

Places like Bar Louie and Rock Bottom generally seem to have pretty good specials, deals, etc. and food. Also, popular with the lunch crowd, so I wouldn't be all that worried. However, I rarely hit them up as in it's probably been many years.
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

If you're not selling food, you're leaving a shitload of money on the table.

But a lot of places lack the startup money and expertise, so they resort to food trucks.
  15. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Rock Bottom is a brewpub. It's a chain, but each location offers some unique beer.

Bar Louie is just a generic chain bar. They open and close all the time. Haymarket used to be a Bar Louie.
  16. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

We went to this place Grand Central Brewing on Saturday night for a gym outing; place didn't serve food so we got a bunch of Salerno's pizzas and they closed at 9pm. Then we all went to Cleo's. I don't think a place like that is in trouble.
  17. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I think a bunch of breweries trying to shoehorn in a kitchen and staff it up are asking for trouble.

Also, the reason taprooms succeed is simply because the product and experience is better than a dive bar experience for a very sizable customer base that had been woefully underserved.
  18. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

The family/ dog friendliness are where it's at. There's also something to say about people just hanging out, drinking beerce, and maybe actually talking without being surrounded by TV screens full of SPORTS and listening to whatever shit some asshole put on the jukebox.
    Fuller likes this.
  19. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Bullying the Jukebox by the Bouncing Souls is a killer tune.
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  20. chops

chops never met prope

Back in my younger days, some asshole would always play sweet fucking caroline every god damn night, usually multiple times and half the damn bar would start singing it. Ground my gears, but $5 pitchers with a few being comped throughout the night was always awesome.
  21. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

I would have guessed that asshole be you.
  22. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Gimme a busch light and some white trash slut in daisy dukes anyday.