UFC Haps

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by maurice, Dec 1, 2014.

1. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

They don't ash how; they ask how many.
  2. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

And NEW...
  3. Cheeses

Cheeses Involuntary Immigrant Cupcake Mod

Conor McGregor loses?

:ohmy:
  4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

At 170 lbs. :shrug: He'll probably go back down to 145 lbs. and defend his belt against Edgar or Aldo.
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'm glad that stupid Irish fuck lost to an even more obnoxious guy
    sycked likes this.
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

7. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Idiot McGregor insists on a rematch against Nate Diaz at UFC 200. Aldo v. Edgar 2 for the interim belt.

Better news: UFC on FOX 20 was announced for the UC on July 23.
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

There's no real benefit in him facing Diaz at UFC 200. If he loses again then people start to think he's a joke. If he wins, it's kind of a so what, you beat like the 5th or 6th best fighter in that weight class?

This is Dana's fault for not stepping in and telling him he's going to find either Aldo or Edgar
  10. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

They let him do literally whatever he wants because he's such a huge draw.

If he had beat Diaz the first time, he would've called out GSP in his post fight speech.
  11. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Supposedly McGregor has retired
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Here's the whole story, or as much of it as we know right now:

McGregor planned to fight GSP at UFC 200 after winning both the FW and LW titles, but the LW title match was cancelled due to injury and he lost decisively to late-replacement Nate Diaz. He spent much of last year living in the U.S. to do promotional stuff and hated it. The UFC wanted to put him in a FW title defense against either Edgar or Aldo at 200, but he insisted on a rematch with Diaz instead and was already in training camp for that fight in Iceland. That left Edgar and Aldo to fight each other again for a BS interim belt at 200.

Dana White reports that he told McGregor and the rest of the 200 card to travel to Vegas to film promotional video for 200. McGregor refused, the UFC pulled him from the card, and wacky retirement Tweet ensued. (Something similar happened years ago with Nate's brother Nick. The UFC takes its promos very seriously.) A few people in McGregor's camp have joked about the Tweet, so I don't think they're taking it very seriously. He's just pissed that the UFC called his bluff. I guess he expected them to cave like they have with everything else and to allow him to cut the promos in Iceland.

Hopefully, this means the end of the rematch talk, and he'll fight the interim champ next, maybe at UFC 205 in NYC in November. In the meanwhile, 200 needs a new main event, and the UFC is back in talks with GSP. Looks like it may hinge on money at this point, but GSP vs. Lawler wouldn't be too shabby. If McGregor continues to insist that he's retired, he'll be stripped of the FW title and either Aldo or Edgar will become champ.
  13. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

McGregor's teammate also killed a dude in the ring a week ago so maybe he just said fuck it? :shrug:
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I think it's pretty telling that:
    - They didn't pull him off the card because he retired, but rather he Tweeted
    that he retired right after they told him that they pulled him off the card.
    - He was training for the fight up until the minute that they pulled him.
    - The fight was a completely irrational matchmaking dictated by his whims.

:shrug:
  15. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Rumor floating around that McGregor wanted $10 million for the UFC 200 fight.

I'm going to do all I can to push the "Vince McMahon opened up the vault to sign him" narrative on Twitter.
  16. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Sounds like bullshit. He already makes close to that with a cut of PPV.
  17. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Surprised promo work is where they drew the line with letting McGregor run the show
  18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

His whole insistence of a Diaz rematch was stupid from the start.

I suspect he will get back in the ring to fight for the FW title again, otherwise if he just quits his whole career overall will be viewed as a :flop:
  19. skottyj

I'm with Spiff here; Vince McMahon opened up the check book.
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Wouldn't his UFC's contract prevent him from just going to WWE?

Also, I don't see him being a huge draw if he went to WWE. Not to justify what they'd probably have to pay him.
  21. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Deadspin has a real stupid take on this. Says McGregor is in the right because he has the leverage basically. Well UFC called his bluff and now McGregor is in the one that's backed into a corner. He can't go to a different MMA organization or WWE until his contract runs out. He could try movies but no guarantee that'd be a success for him.
  22. skottyj

I thought I read he was supposed to be in the new XXX movie but wanted to focus on training. Bisping is in it I know that.
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

He THOUGHT he had leverage and found out he was wrong. The UFC is going to hype the shit out of 200 to maximize PPV buys. McGregor was in line to make probably $5 - 10 million. Now he has to wait 4 months before they offer him another fight. Granted, he'll probably make the same amount of money then, but he could have fought on both cards. He's essentially pissing away a huge payday during the prime of his career.
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Would it be close to $10 million though? I can't imagine his base pay being anymore than $1-2 million... would 1.5 million PPV buys (or potentially 1.75 million) really get him a $5 million bonus?

Looks like McGregor is trying to get back into the card. He's trying to say he's paid to fight and not promote. Really though, he's paid to do both. I don't think UFC backs down from this.
  25. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

McGregor's contract pays him $1,000,000 to show plus $X per PPV buy above Y amount. X and Y and not public information, but a $5 mil. bonus is plausible. The UFC certainly can afford to pay him that and still make a lot of money from his fights. Their gate figures also are exceptionally high when he's on the card.

I mentioned before that they went through pretty much the same thing with Nick Diaz a few years ago. Their position always has been that they'll try to accommodate stars, but you can't just simply refuse to do any promotion. It makes no sense to make an exception for guys like McGregor and the Diaz bros., because they are naturally good at promoting their fights. Part of the reason that they gave McGregor PPV points even before he was champ was to give him an incentive to promote the fights.
  26. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Conor McGregor
    12 mins ·
    I am just trying to do my job and fight here. I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote. I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting. There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop. 50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this. Nothing else was going through my mind.

It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life. Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a fuck morning show did not get me this life. Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a fuck about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
    I'm coming for my revenge here. I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep. With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight. I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.

I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment. But it was denied. There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me. So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them. And all with one tweet. Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.

I must isolate myself now. I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time. I can not dance for you this time. It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here. Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
    He came in with no shit to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out. Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.

I'm doing what I need for me now. It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way. I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway. I am still ready to go for UFC 200. I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions. If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.

For the record also -
    For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
    I AM NOT RETIRED.
  27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Just announced that Skotty's guy Bisping will fight for the title on June 4th. Dude he's fighting (Rockhold) previously smashed him without breaking a sweat.

Tickets for the July 23rd event in Chicago go on sale soon, but for some reason the main event is Holly Holm vs. a random chick.

:pass2:
  28. skottyj

Where is the fight on the 4th? He hasn't even been training; he's filming the new XXX movie.
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Somewhere in California.
  30. skottyj

I watched half of an interview with them two this morning. I didn't see the end but Rockhold wished Bisping well in his retirement.
  31. skottyj

The UFC returns to Chicago with an action-packed card at United Center that will see the return of former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm as she faces rising star Valentina Shevchenko. A world boxing champion who struck UFC gold when she knocked out Ronda Rousey, Holm will be making her first start since an upset loss to Miesha Tate. Plus, a light heavyweight title challenger will likely be crowned as Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and Glover Teixeira meet and Edson Barboza squares off with former Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez.

Use code 'UFCTM1' to get your tickets before they go on sale!
  32. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Bisping with the huge upset win.

McGregor fights at UFC 202.

Lesnar reportedly fighting at 200.
  33. skottyj

I told you he would win. I almost creamed my jeans when I saw Lesnar was going to fight at 200 but then actually thinking about it if they don't give him a jobber it's a terrible move for him. WWE has built him up as an unstoppable monster the past couple years if he loses that all goes away. This has gotta be some deal with Dana White where Lesnar fights at 200 and they'll let Rousey fight at mania?
  34. skottyj

Hey Mo; who is Mark Hunt?
  35. y2chae

y2chae Panda

36. y2chae

y2chae Panda

This isn't the first time White and UFC have gone full retard re: media.

They get butthurt when they do a PPV event in Europe and media outlets "spoil" the results before it airs in the US. You stupid fucks, media talking about your product is a good thing.
  37. skottyj

Any idea on how much 200 will be? Gotta be a hundo right?
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

It's a good card but I can't see them charging a $100, that's going to deter a lot of buys. Or people will just go to bars- which is a fixed cost for UFC, they want individual households to order.
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Old school, chubby kickboxer who had a fun fight with Fedor back in Pride. Then he sucked for awhile before a recent career resurgence in the UFC. Pretty good chance that he'd KO a rusty Lesnar, especially if he can't take Hunt down and keep him down.
  40. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

RIP Kimbo Slice.
  41. BTrain929

BTrain929 98% of you are failed abortions

:swingingdick::lep::hammertime:

Crazy about Kimbo, though....
  42. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Lots of rumors swirling that the UFC has been sold.

There was some smoke a few weeks ago, but it's really heating up now.
  43. skottyj

Another casualty of the Obama administration.
  44. skottyj

45. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

46. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

UFC reportedly sold to a group including the Kraft family for $4.2 bil.

Meanwhile, GSP and Skotty's guy want to fight each other. GSP says:
    "There are two things that I am very proud of, my welterweight title and the record I hold for most wins in UFC history. Now I have Michael Bisping challenging me for it. But I do not believe that if I fight him he will send me back to a movie set. Yes he is bigger, but I have more skill, more athleticism, and higher fighting IQ. The world doesn't turn around me, but if it's a fight that fans and UFC want to make, they got my number, they can call my agent no problem. We can organize to make it happens and make an agreement. I always said I would come back for something big. Bisping is the man to beat right now. He beat Silva, he knockout Rockhold. Rockhold beat Jacare and Weidman. He's bigger, but when I was fighting at welterweight, I never thought about going up and then back down, because I was welterweight champion. Now I'm retired I can make more experimentally. I could fight at lightweight, as well. I can fight at welterweight and middleweight. Even though he is bigger, if we fight, I believe I will beat him. I love my sport, I still feel that I am at my best right now. The clock is running and I am not getting any younger. I am at the peak of my career and if there is a shot at another goal, another run, I better do it quick and it's time to do it now."
  47. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Reminder for you wrestling nerds:
    - Brock fighting at UFC 200 this Saturday
    - Punk fighting at 203 in Cleveland on 9/10
  48. skottyj

I want to find a place that is having the fight Saturday.
  49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Hawkeye's on Taylor has it with no cover.

Lesnar-about?
  50. skottyj

This Saturday night, Brock Lesnar will fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200. Each alpha male wants to assert his badass dominance over the other to such a degree, that he strips that opponent of his alpha male status, emasculates him in the cage and reduces him to a human being who has to accept a defeat that was witnessed by friends, fans and family. This Saturday, Brock Lesnar enters that cage with a mindset I’ve never seen him display in any of his past UFC fights. He’s actually happy. Happy for the opportunity to perform on this platform. Happy for the chance to fight an opponent and not a disease. Happy to step into the spotlight and show the world that cage is not just the UFC-branded eight-sided fence, it’s the picture-perfect live-action set that should be renamed The Brocktagon!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/exclus...diction-for-fight-vs-mark-hunt-230132173.html