UFC Haps

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by maurice, Dec 1, 2014.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

It's been awhile since they put together a notable card, but that's changing.

This Saturday is UFC 181 in Las Vegas, featuring 2 title fights, including a long-awaited rematch.

Main Card (PPV at 9pm):
    - Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler 2 for the WW title
    - Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez for the LW title
    - Travis Browne vs. Brendan Schaub
    - Todd Duffee vs. Anthony Hamilton
    - Tony Ferguson vs. Abel Trujillo

Prelims (Fox Sports 1 at 7pm):
    - Urijah Faber vs. Francisco Rivera
    - Eddie Gordon vs. Josh Samman
    - Corey Anderson vs. Justin Jones
    - Ashlee Evans-Smith vs. Raquel Pennington

Prelims (Fight Pass at 6pm):
    - Matt Hobar vs. Sergio Pettis
    - Clay Collard vs. Alex White
  2. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Punk announced he'll be in the octagon in 2015.
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Kinda surprised. Even though I brought it up in the wrasslin' thread, I didn't think it was a serious discussion. He also confirmed he was a MW or WW, not a HW.

Lots of nice finishes tonight.
  4. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

Should be interesting, breaking into MMA at age 36.

My guess is it won't go well.
  5. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

UFC will have a difficult time finding somebody he could conceivably beat. They'll probably have to sign a can.

The worst MW or WW on the roster probably is a ten times better striker and a 100 times better grappler than Punk and reasonably would be expected to finish him in round 1.
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

He's going to get his ass kicked. UFC must be desperate for PPV buys. Don't have the numbers but right now they are struggling with draws. The only big name they have is Jon Jones and maybe Ronda Rousey. Jose Aldo is a very good fighter but he's not a draw. Which is a combination of his weight class, his personality and UFC just being down in general.

Compare that to the height of UFC's popularity when they had Brock, Anderson Silva, GSP, Rampage, Shogun, Dan Henderson, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Tito Ortiz, Mintauro/Big Nog. You even had a few guys in their prime never even fight for UFC because the MMA market was filled with talent like Fedor and Wanderlei Silva who came to UFC past his prime.

So the first PPV with Punk will probably be the biggest numbers wise they've had in a while.
    Ziggy likes this.
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I guess this means if Brock can pass a physical, he's going back to UFC when his WWE deal is up.
  8. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

unrelated article, arguing pros/cons to buying a home with cash/mortgage:

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/buying-a-home--cash-vs--mortgage-010755300.html

amazing comment:

Ziggy likes this.
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Comment rulz
  10. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

They'll sign anybody who can sell PPVs. They proved that when they brought in James Toney. Exceptionally skilled boxer, but we all know how far that gets you in MMA when you have no ground game. Toney was one and done. Can Punk last longer?

The door has been wide open for Lesnar to return whenever he wants and his contract allows. He's the biggest draw in UFC history and can actually fight.
    Ziggy likes this.
  11. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Lesnar's deal with WWE expires in April. It is very unlikely they extend it at the terms they've given him the last two years. Dana will be driving the Brinks truck up to the farm the next day.
  12. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I would be willing to bet that Punk will win at least his first fight. They need to get a few out of him so they'll throw some schmo at him. I get it UFC is the best but they have to have some scrubs still on the roster. The average WWE fan that doesn't give a crap about UFC (besides Punk; Lesnar and Bisping) wont' care who he's fighting. I know I'm going to buy the fight.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Any decent professional they find should be able to beat Punk easily. If they get some legit nobody semi pro, I think that would damage UFC's reputation. Punk has to fight someone with at least one legit fight under his belt, something no lower than Bellator or the equivalent
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Dana White already said that they'll sign a 1-0 or 1-1 type fighter for Punk's match. The biggest scrub on the UFC roster possibly would be ineligible to fight a 0-0 guy due to commission regulations.

Modern MMA essentially has a MiLB-type system. The UFC scrubs are equivalent to AAAA players who can't get more than a cup of coffee in the big leagues, but who have been very successful in a 2nd-tier pro league and would rape your rec softball team.

In this analogy, Punk is an okay member of the rec softball team.
  15. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

16. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The Chicago Walgreens where he did this interview is almost certainly the one in six corners (I know, that's not really six corners)
  17. skottyj

Aren't there like 6 places that claim 6 corners?
  18. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Nice weekend of free fights. Friday was the TUF finale, crowning the new 115 women's champ. Tonight was a very solid Fox card.
  19. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Current rumor is that Punk and Lesnar will train with Pettis's team in Milwaukee.

This is somewhat bolstered by Punk saying that he wants to train close to Chicago and the disbanding of Lesnar's old fight camp in Minnesota. Lesnar's BJJ instructor also lives in Chicago, but he used to fly him out to MN for camps.
  20. spiffie

Doesn't Ben Askren train there as well? That could be awkward.
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Yes. He's cool with it. Pretty chill dude in general.
  22. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

[​IMG]

In other news, Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine before his most recent fight, but the commission allowed the fight to continue.
  23. skottyj

Gotta love Jon Jones.
  24. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The July 25th UFC on Fox will be at the UC.
    BTrain929 likes this.
  25. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

McGregor's win tonight in Boston (against a carefully selected opponent) means he'll fight Aldo for the title.

In other news, the main event was preceded by two ridiculous decisions that both went in favor of a white guy against a black guy. I'd love to see the compustrike numbers for those.

:shocker:
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

First MMA event I've seen in a while. Not sure how Henderson lost. All three rounds were somewhat close but he got more key strikes in all three rounds and any take downs Cowboy got, Henderson just got right back up. I had 30-27 Henderson, yet somehow he lost 29-28 unanimously. Stupid judges are hurting the sport, just like it can in boxing.

As for McGregor, he looked good but he's been protected every step of the way in UFC because they are desperate to develop a new star. And loud mouth white guys can be a draw even if they never hold a title (Chael). McGregor is lucky Aldo isn't known for wrestling, otherwise he'd have almost no chance. Aldo I think still wins relatively easy against him, Aldo's striking will do a lot more damage than Siver.
  27. spiffie

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/93569f4876c20488

Not that black/Asian dudes getting a raw deal in Boston should be surprising, but the Bendo fight also points to problem with UFC judging. It was all the way back at UFC 102 that Cecil Peoples said he doesn't judge leg kicks to be as effective or important as other strikes. Cerrone slightly outlanded Henderson in head strikes, was even on body shots, and was murdered in leg kicks. It annoys me when a see fights where leg kicks are essentially ignored by the judges.
    maurice likes this.
  28. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I assume judges are chosen by whatever fighting commission is in charge where they are fighting? Seems like MMA needs to have a standard on judging and all judges need to take some sort of class to learn it and abide by it. It's just silly that leg kicks are downgraded for no reason that a judge's personal preference.

I wasn't even aware another black dude got screwed yesterday, I only paid attention to the last two fights.
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Bendo had 51% more sig strikes landed, a much higher % landed, and his shots landed harder as well. Outstruck him all three rounds. Oh, but hey, Cowboy had one surprise takedown for about 7 seconds! Then Henderson stood up effortlessly when Cowboy realized he didn't want to get submitted again. Of course, Henderson could have taken Cowboy down if he tried, but why try when you're winning the striking battle? Just to score "points" in the eyes of idiot and/or racist judges? Crowd also booed Henderson...for being black, I guess.

In the other fight, a brother lit up a slow Irish dude, nearly KOing him in the 1st round. Not only did the judges give the fight to the Mick, some even gave him the 1st round. It was the last fight before the main card. White and Rogan were setting up to do a promo for the main card when the decision was announced, and they both went off script to say that it was a total robbery.
  30. BTrain929

BTrain929 98% of you are failed abortions

Rumble Johnson TKOs Gustaffson in the first round....in his homeland Sweden. :ohmy:. Gustaffson is the only man to beat the shit out of Jon Jones, even tho the decision was a loss for Gustaffson.

Sets up Coke Jones vs Rumble in the near future....

:jb:
  31. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Hard to believe he used to fight at 170.
    BTrain929 likes this.
  32. spiffie

Too often he fought guys who were at 170 and he came lumbering in at somewhere around 400 pounds.
    BTrain929 likes this.
  33. skottyj

Rumble is a beast.
  34. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

UFC 183 on Saturday, featuring the return of Anderson Silva, who for some reason is fighting Nick Diaz.
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Silva tested positive for 2 kinds of steroids.

Also, Diaz tested positive for MJ again, but they really shouldn't even be testing for that sort of thing. Dude has a medical MJ card in Cali anyways.
  36. BTrain929

:yeesh: at the GOAT....

:invite: at Diaz...
  37. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Jones in legal trouble again, having reportedly fled a hit and run accident in NM.

He is (was?) scheduled to face Rumble at UFC 187 in 3 weeks.
  38. spiffie

Someone has to get him under control before he kills someone.
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Solid card so far, including a title fight:
    - Dillashaw v. Barao 2
    - Pettis v. Jury
    - Tate v. Eye
    - Caraway v. Wineland
    - Castillo v. Khabilov
    - Koch v. Nijem
    - Lauzon v. Gomi
    - Neto v. Cummings
    - Cruickshank v. Krause
    - Lawlor v. Villante

They'll add 2 or 3 more fights. Clay Guida maybe? Saving Punk for PPV, tho.
  40. skottyj

Needs more Bisping.
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Presale for the Chicago event just started with code UNITED. Looks like they're going pretty fast.
  42. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

UFC 189 is tonight. They project this as a big selling card, pretty much only because Conor McGregor is on it.

Very high chance that McGregor loses, however, so I guess they need to make this money while they can.

Lot of entertaining strikers on the rest of the card, including Robbie Lawler, Matt Brown, Tim Means, Jeremy Stephens, and Mike Swick.
  43. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

Lawler/MacDonald was fucking ridiculous.
  44. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

Main event sure turned on a dime.
  45. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

Haven't seen an Irish guy win with an overhand left like that since Terry Conklin
    spiffie and Prope like this.
  46. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

I didn't like Mendes' strategy; far too aggressive going for the submissions. Should have just played ground and pound for 3 rounds given Conor's shitshow weight cut and got aggressive in the 4th/5th when his conditioning started to fall apart.
  47. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

I didn't have the cleanest look at it, but looked like Conor hit a couple elbows to the top of the head while on the ground that shook up Mendes and made him get more aggressive despite having total control.
  48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Open workouts on Thursday at 644 N. Orleans. Doors open to the public at 12:30pm.

Weigh-ins on Friday at the UC. Doors open at 3:00pm. CM Punk interview to follow.

Fight night on Saturday:
    MAIN CARD (FOX, 7:00pm)
    • Dillashaw vs. Barao 2 for the BW title
    • Jessica Eye vs. Miesha Tate
    • Edson Barboza vs. Paul Felder
    • Takanori Gomi vs. Joe Lauzon
    PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX, 5:00pm)
    • Tom Lawlor vs. Gian Villante
    • Danny Castillo vs. Jim Miller
    • Kenny Robertson vs. Ben Saunders
    • Bryan Caraway vs. Eddie Wineland
    PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 3:15 pm)
    • Daron Cruickshank vs. James Krause
    • Andrew Holbrook vs. Ramsey Nijem
    • Jessamyn Duke vs. Elizabeth Phillips
    • Zak Cummings vs. Dominique Steele
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  50. BTrain929

I'll be there Saturday with some pplz. Sucks that Pettis vs Jury is off the card now, but a title fight for a fox card is awesome.