Trade Deadline Rumors and Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by maurice, Jul 6, 2011.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Sticky?

Here's a report re. the Sox and the Braves that doesn't make much sense:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...reputation_goes_on_trial_this_week/?page=full

Lots of other tidbits in there as well.
  2. samram

samram Bon Vivant

They can have Jake Peavy for Tommy Hanson.

I'm not seeing how the Sox would deal a 2 time All Star for a RH reliever and an aging starter when they already have 6 starters.

Actually, to the extent there's a fit for Juan Pierre, the Braves may be it. Schafer and McLouth aren't doing much for them.
  3. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

remember last year when all the rumors of Dunn were floating around and the Sox didnt get him. Then the Sox signed Dunn as a free agent and he has sucked and skotty wants to

:firewalker:
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Yeah, you know the Sox definitely have another SP on their mid-season trade wish list.

7-man rotation? ALL IN!
  5. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

Maybe back to 6 once Peavy gets injured yet again
  6. Unregistered

Either way, it's pretty easy to see that the problem the Sox are having this year is not enough starting pitchers. We should definitely get rid of productive offensive players, of which we have an embarrassment of riches to choose from.

The guy behind this rumor definitely has his finger firmly on the pulse of White Stockings baseball.
  7. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

The problem has been hitting for years. It's pretty much never been pitching. We've been quality start kings since like 2003 and have two playoff appearances to show for it. Given that pitching is the harder thing to excel at, you would think with all those quality starts, playoff appearances would just happen. But they haven't. The reason for that is we have 2-4 automatic outs in the lineup in any given year.
  8. samram

samram Bon Vivant

It's incredible how bad the Sox have been at developing hitters. I think Crede is the last Sox draft pick to make the ASG as a position player for the Sox and he was drafted in 1996. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so.
  9. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

You also have Maggs, Konerko, and Carlos Lee (he was an AS for MIL if I'm not mistaken, and certainly was a good hitter during his time here). Those of course were either Rule 5 guys/early-career pickups, which are different than a straight up draft pick like Crede or Beckham, but it is under the same umbrella as it shows a good eye for young talent. You have to admit that our ability to do that--as well as good veteran trading--has made up for our big failings in drafting and development.

Otherwise, we'd be the Royals instead of the White Sox (a consistently above-.500 team with occasional playoff appearances and indeed one World Series under our belts).
  10. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Right, but they were all drafted/picked up earlier than Crede (except for Konerko), so he's the last Sox developee to make it as a Sox. Rowand and Durham made ASG's too, but Durham was drafted in 1990 or 1991 and Rowand made it for the Phils. Cameron probably made a team as well. No doubt the Sox did a nice job from the end of the Himes era until the mid-90's. It seems like after the Belle signing, they just shifted away from doing much in the minors.

Which has meant they pay a lot for production because they have very little cheap production. And when the guys they pay for suck, like with Swisher or Dunn, the whole lineup pretty much sucks.

Of course one year, last year, they were perfectly happy to suck on offense and they succeeded.
  11. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

Maggs and Lee were both amateur free agent signings isnt that different than Rule 5?
  12. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Beachy's young. Gotta start thinking about 2012 when Edwin Jackson will be gone. No one will miss him, that's for sure.

But yeah, let's give up one of our two "good" hitters! (Please don't, Kenny. Your trade record over the past 3-4 years is nearly as abysmal as the organization's player development and scouting.)
  13. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

If this trade happens I would bet some t35f would have a new sig of "Everything is Beachy Keen" or some other awesome pun.

But this would pretty much be a sell (cell) move though right? In preparation for losing Buehrle and/or Jackson at the deadline or next year?
  14. Unregistered

Sox were 3.5 back of Cleveland last time they had the fire sale. It's all so symmetrical. :soexcited:
  15. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

Well this is tcq's last year, no? And they are losing jackson this offseason. I think kenny is just fishing though, because this move makes no sense if wenare in contention
  16. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Good question. I don't know if he's a FA after this season or not. You would think we would have heard more about it if so. I thought 2007 was his first full season, so this would be year 5, if so.
  17. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

According to mlbcontracts TCQ had 4.065 years of service time entering this season.
  18. Quaye

So in other words: walk year
  19. samram

samram Bon Vivant

He's got to have 6 to be a FA, doesn't he?
  20. Quaye

Not sure
  21. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

I believe it is six years. FWIW they don't list him in the upcoming 2012 FA list on that site.
  22. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

BCKTHR just suggested a Danks + Morel for Hanley Ramirez trade on the wissy

:thinking:
  23. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

:chortle:

He has some incredible trade proposals.
  24. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:hirewalker:
  25. BBJ

BBJ Well-Known Member

yeah it is 6 years of service time before free agency
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

The J (and I think the SATCH) has the another bckthr trade proposal tag. The image is an old model PS2.
  27. Da Rev

Da Rev n00b

28. Quaye

Sometimes I think...maybe this is Da Rev