The Lessons Learned From Playing High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by SoxFan76, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

The Mike Adamle interview is depressing as all fuck. I had 7 concussions by the time I was 18, 6 due to football. Sort of worried I may be drooling all over myself in a few years.
  2. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Will your hair be that nice then, doe?
  3. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

Where is this Adamle interview?

Is he suffering from dementia due to football?
  4. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

5. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Same here. I can't even watch that stuff.
  6. Cheeses

7. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Stop trying to make everything about you Cheeses.
  8. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Concussions aren't the big issue though. It's the sub concussive hits that are part of the very fiber of the game that are causing most extreme cases of CTE and brain damage.
  9. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Of course at the end of the interview he says he wouldn't change one thing

:insane:
  10. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Fuckin' jocks
  11. Cheeses

12. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

13. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Got another single D-3 game this upcoming season.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

And one couldn't learn those lessons doing anything else. What a :fagot:
  15. CaptainBallz

To control what I can control. Injuries are a part of sports. Football is no exception. Through my injuries I realized I could handle adversity one of three ways: I could be bitter, I could quit, or I could make the best of my situation. I saw some players quit after injuries, most of whom regretted their decision. I saw others carry a negative attitude wherever they went, like a ball and chain slowing them down. And then I saw an upper-classman play his senior year with a broken hand and enjoy every minute of it. He told me, “There’s no use in complaining. It won’t change my situation. All I can do is strap up and play the next play.” That stuck....

...and what stuck with him was crippling arthritis 20 years later because some asshole once told him that there's some fucking life lesson to be learned in continuing to aggravate an injury for no legitimate reason.
    Deuce and maurice like this.
  16. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Average career length in the NFL: 3.3 years

US Male Life Expectancy: 78.94

Makes perfect overall sense to not care about your knees, hands, head, shoulders, feet, and back.
  17. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

NATIONAL FAGOT LEAGUE
  18. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

(nobody ever thinks of the health and safety of the refs, btw. Monday morning after a weekend of 7 games and my knees hurt)
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Or even worse, play through that concussion BRO because you need to be a MAN.

Self inflicted gunshot to the head 30 years later...
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Highland Park cancels its youth football program after only 11 kids sign up, down from 150+ at its peak.
  21. CaptainBallz

:rudyclap:
    :rudy:
    :blackawkwardclappingman:

:davidcross:
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

It's happening!

No more life lessons smh
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:lovepost:
  24. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

^ the most surprising maurice post ever.

A lot of overweight guys in the heavyweight levels of wrestling, and that is the most physically (and probably mentally) demanding sport high schools offer.
  25. chops

chops never met prope

I've never been overweight in my wife and also played HS football and learned many lessons in and out of football.
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

:weebey:

Would help if you gave actual numbers. Also these parents that don't let 5th to 8th graders play football aren't all of a sudden going to let them play in high school.
  27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I definitely noticed the spike in fall baseball e-mails. I'm like, "Steve Buscemi; didn't we just finish playing baseball?" Our basketball league practices start in a month.

Part of it is crazy parents forcing their kids to play the parent's favorite sport year-round when they're only like 8 years old.
  28. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

It's true that, out of 14 weight classes, one of them has fat guys who are super-athletes too undisciplined to compete in their actual division. Every combat sport has those, and every one of them lives in fear that they'll run into a true HW:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:shrug:
  29. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

At the youth/high school levels doe......
  30. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Pretty much the same. Walk around a youth tournament, and you'll see that less than 1 out of 14 kids are even a teensy bit overweight. At least half of them are more shredded than Zoso. Some youth and freshman kids are kind of flabby, but that won't last after they get the full T boost from puberty. A non-HW fat kid is likely to lose every single match and quit the sport forever.

The youth kids, on average, are in WAY better shape than the freshman kids. A high % of a freshman team has never wrestled before. For youths, tho, the thing I said about crazy parents making their kids play a sport year-round applies. "Off-season" includes elite national folkstyle tournaments, freestyle tournaments, Greco tournaments, and 2-month summer camps in buttfuck Ohio where the kids do 2/day practices...during the offeason.

The weight class aspect of the sport also has a big impact. Crazy parents force young boys who are not fat to diet and cut weight because the parent decided they should compete in a certain division. If they're a few pounds over in the days leading up to the tournament, the parents make them work out with zero food and minimal water. Some speculate that these 5'3-ball-of-muscle adult wrestlers would've been several inches taller if their dad wasn't nuts.
  31. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

In elite programs, if kids aren't in a squad by age 7, they will never crack varsity. Although our particular school is so tiny (maybe 50-55 boys per graduating class) an occasional walk on from another school can come in and get a spot in a weight class where we are thin (or be fodder for the practice room)
  32. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

33. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I reffed a Freshman A/B game this past weekend at a prominent Catholic high school that routinely has one of the states top teams. I'd put a rough estimate at around 50 or so players, when just two years ago this school had enough to schedule 'C' games. I've also had 'B' games cancelled on me in the upcoming weeks between schools that can usually field those games.

There are two schools in the south burbs that I can think of that do not have Freshman teams this year, and both schools have enrollments of over 1400 students.
  34. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Baseball is more fun to play than football?

:whoknew:
    maurice likes this.
  35. chops

chops never met prope

cute
    whitesox901 and maurice like this.
  36. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What about other team sports like basketball, soccer, hockey or even lacrosse, volleyball, water polo...
  37. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

No life lessons can be found in those sports. Only football.
    CaptainBallz and chops like this.
  38. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

There is no teamwork in basketball. It's just one tall black guy doing everything while everybody else stands around and watches.

I think I previously mentioned that Fall baseball seems to have really taken off in recent years, but the meatheads say that like it's just an unfortunate coincidence. Parents are picking extended baseball over football. Hell, some of my teams have started basketball already. The rest of that quote is hot garbage. If the kids are playing baseball, then video games (which have been around since these parents were children) aren't the issue. If the kids are playing baseball, then the dad's aren't too busy at work to coach football; they're too busy at baseball to coach football.

I was at a party this weekend where maybe half the kids will play organized football at some point...but none of them have played yet. Not even flag. The dads have all played football, but they would acknowledge that the parent of the 5YO in the story is a fucking idiot: "It's good to maximize the number of blows to their head during the years that their brains are developing so that they learn how to properly give each other concussions at a young age, derp."

Speaking of flag, the guy who thinks its more dangerous than tackle in pads can go fuck himself. By now, there is a huge body of evidence that maximizing padding maximizes serious injuries.
  39. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I've mentioned this before, but a -1 works in a part of insurance that deals with sports leagues. The premiums that local youth teams for football has obviously gone up significantly the past couple of years, and where is that cost being passed? So part of the issue might also be that park districts (or however it may be run) are pricing themselves out. Of course, they'll never shoulder the blame.

Meanwhile, nearly 100,000 more kids are playing hockey now than they did 10 years ago. Not that any hockey parent would ever tell horror stories of the cost of that sport.
  40. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

I'm not sure, but I think bowling is one of the most expensive sports. At least for someone that is serious about it. Between all the equipment (bags, balls, shoes, etc) and the weekly expense of being on a league (or 2 or 3) during the off-season, it gets pretty pricey. Although it's a non-contact sport. So things like teamwork, discipline, life lessons, maturity and development obviously can't be learned through it... :rolleyes:
  41. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I'm not looking to get into a discussion about which sports are the most expensive, except to say that I know a few hockey parents and what they pay far outweighs what a football parent pays. I'm also just using hockey, because despite what I assume is a much higher overall cost, it also has the chance for just as many head injuries as football, except you don't see those numbers declining as football's are.
  42. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

The beautiful game is where its at. Where else can an 18 year old be sold for €200M?
    Prope and CaptainBallz like this.
  43. Iwritecode

I get your point. I agree that the defenders are basically burying their heads in the sand looking for excuses for why the participation rates are declining. Oh it's because of the bad economy. It's too expensive. Oh it's because the kids are too busy with their smartphones and video games.

Meanwhile the parents are coming right out and saying exactly why they don't want their kids playing. It's sure not the cost and it's not because they kids don't want to play sports.
  44. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

:wrong:
  45. Iwritecode

:dunno:
  46. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Hockey is far and away the most expensive.
    Deuce likes this.
  47. chops

chops never met prope

My kids play T-Ball/Softball/Soccer

cost is basically nothing

:dance:
  48. Retarded Ox

Hockey most definitely, you would think competitive gymnastics would be cheap but it is 3 to 4 grand a year not counting travel and hotel costs for meets and this is probably the cheapest sport to equip. Serious baseball is in the thousands of dollars, not counting travel costs and participation in fall ball. I just dont see bowling coming anywhere near these costs.
    chops likes this.
  49. Retarded Ox

About the same costs as baseball if they get into competitive travel leagues. I think i heard the Real Sports on HBO just had a segment on competitive boys baseball and how its pricing out not as privileged talented players
    chops likes this.
  50. chops

chops never met prope

Oh yeah, Gymnastics also. Cost is also basically nothing.

But none of this shit is travel yet!