The Lessons Learned From Playing High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by SoxFan76, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

Wait, a neighbor of Dougs was paying 350 a month, year round for club gymnastics, and like i said it was before counting hotel and travel costs. My kids do park district gymnastics for 50 bucks a class, once they decide to do it for real ill tell them to get a job :lol:
  2. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

Equipment alone can run close to $1000. Some balls are $150 and they usually have 6 or more different balls. Then shoes, bags, towels, etc...

Then if they are in 2 or 3 weekly leagues that are anywhere from $15 to $20/week and they usually run 10-15 weeks. So that's $45 - $60/week throughout the spring and summer. And that's the for the off-season just to keep in practice. There is some traveling expenses but they usually only occur for tournaments.
  3. Retarded Ox

I wasnt even talking about equipment costs besides gymnastics which is basically nothing. Bowling is still far down the list
  4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Hockey is played on frozen water. That alone makes it crazy expensive, even before you figure in equipment etc.
  5. Iwritecode

Hockey I can understand. But why is gymnastics so expensive?
  6. chops

chops never met prope

I think gymnastics for us is maybe 70/class, they take 3 or 4 a year, so times 2 for each kid, still basically nothing if you ask me.

:snob:
  7. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

My guess is that the rent/mortgage/insurance is pretty expensive where they train. Plus all of the equipment they need to purchase for the building.

http://www.gymsupply.com/beam.aspx

I'm betting that is something that needs to be replaced quite often.
    maurice and Cheeses like this.
  8. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I think, and maybe I'm wrong, but I think what you're doing here is kind of similar to what I'm accusing these park districts of doing in regards to blaming lack of football participation on the economy. Of course you think bowling is expensive, you're the one writing the checks. I know my mortgage pails in comparison to a great number of people, but I still think it's enormous because I'm the one who has to pay it. There's a confirmation bias (if I have that wrong, please correct me) inherent in all of this.
  9. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

There's also a huge difference between regularly recurring costs like ice or lane time, and costs for reusable items.

I mean, does each kid really need 6 new bowling balls every single year?
  10. Iwritecode

I'll admit that I don't have a lot of experience in paying for other sports. And that costs can vary based on participation and the quality of the equipment and training involved. But I often talk to people that are amazed at how much bowling can cost.

Sure, most people can get away with walking in and paying $5/person to use the house ball and house shoes one time. But when you join a league it adds up quick. It's nothing to spend $500+ on a single season of bowling for even just an average non-competitive bowler. Maybe I worded it badly originally but bowling is not a cheap sport.
  11. Iwritecode

Not every year but it does happen when they get older and have to move up in ball weight.
  12. Retarded Ox

All my friends with kids in baseball, hockey, football, and gymnastics would kill to pay only 500 a year, even 1000 would be a lot cheaper than what they are paying now
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

NFL will still be relatively healthy for a while due to the south will continue to play football because of culture and stupidity. But over time the talent pool will erode. Hell, the NFL can't even find 20 competent QBs to start now and not everyone is some (probably grew up poor) kid from Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Louisiana or Texas.

We will know that football is truly on the decline once non-south college football starts to die off. As in schools like Northwestern, Illinois, Washington, NIU, Rutgers, Iowa, etc. can't field viable programs. Or non northern areas that don't have a huge historical tie to youth and college football like Arizona, Kansas. Perhaps the Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State programs survive based on history and tradition.

What else will happen is that sports like basketball, baseball and soccer will probably reap the benefits of athletes playing other sports.
  14. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

College football will never go away because they'll never not want the money it generates. Illinois can go 0 for their next 45 but as soon as the Whitman or the guy after him threatens to take it away, the money will come pouring in.
  15. chops

chops never met prope

Chae sure paints with a wide brush.

:cmon:
  16. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Actually, now that I think of it, with the amount of foreign admits the U of I brings in the idea of caring so much about the schools athletic teams is probably not on the list of their concerns.
  17. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah. I think we'll all be dead before a Big Ten school drops football, but that's just me.
  18. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

If they do, it's not going to be because of lack of participation. It's more going to be an issue of whether or not the school can afford it. Look at the budget issues this state is going through, and the budget issues U of I has. What's the point of cutting your budget, and also shelling out that much money on football??
  19. chops

chops never met prope

Cheeses will be dead for sure.
    Cheeses likes this.
  20. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I don't think they'll straight up drop football... but it can certainly become unwatchable in a hurry.
    maurice likes this.
  21. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

U of I football is unwatchable now.
    maurice likes this.
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

But after 0-45 will U of I football even be profitable? It costs a lot of money to run a solid D-I program. If attendance hovers around 20k a game and no one gives a shit... and you can make a net positive in the accounting books by shutting down the program, why not?

Hell, UAB was about to shut down their program because it was too costly until people complained.
  23. y2chae

y2chae Panda

That's my broader point. If a bunch of these schools field unwatchable garbage in 30 years that is equalivent to what is D-II or III level football... can't see it surviving in that form. Of course it's a big "if", but certainly a possibility if people stop playing football.
  24. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, as if athletic departments aren't operated on entirely separate budgets from the universities themselves.

:homerlaff:
    chops likes this.
  25. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The highest paid government employees by far are public college football coaches. Nobody seems to give a shit, even when a state budget crunch hits. Like IWMB said, it's just not considered a general expense coming out of general revenue streams. It's all tied to the programs' ability to generate millions from slave labor.

:business:

WRT becoming "unwatchable," the bar is pretty low for these meathead fans. Not all that long ago, most Big 10 teams were running for 3 yards and a cloud of dust out of the I-formation, sometimes behind 2 TEs. Worst case scenario, the Midwest will always have enough grass-fed farmboys and impoverished rustbelt city kids to make that happen.

It's not practical for all of the city kids to just play basketball instead. I mean, most of them already play basketball and settled on football because the opportunity was greater for them. WAY more college slots, for example. Plenty of football players grew up playing baseball too, when they weren't too busy playing basketball summer leagues. Soccer? GMAFB
  26. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I've been hearing soccer is the next big thing in this country for the past 20 years or so.
  27. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

:shrug:
  28. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Kass chimes in. More numbers and "life lessons" quotes, but this was my favorite:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ions-youth-kass-met-0906-20170905-column.html

The tide changed pretty quickly on smoking. Looks like football is there too.

The thing is, tobacco companies still make a lot of fucking money.
  29. SABRSox

If you have a child who is an athlete, I have absolutely no idea why you would push them toward football, when you consider non-guaranteed contracts, a short earning span, and of course the brain damage.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Smoking is down in the US. But it's grown into a huge industry in Asia.

Football will continue to make a lot of money, especially in the south, but it has a shelf life as the top sport- boxing, baseball and horse racing were the kings of America at one point.
  31. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

That's really only relevant to super-elite athletes like Bo Jackson. Most pro athletes are at least one full notch below that, and the decision makes itself. Like I said, they typically play multiple sports in HS and below, and many end up settling into FB after they reach the end of the road in the other sports. Few are even permitted to play multiple sports in college, so they take the best scholarship offer.

Take a guy like
    :mcnabb:
    Multi-sport player in HS and even in college, but he was a bench basketball player and one of the best amateur QBs in the country. He couldn't exactly just choose to play in the NBA, mostly because he wasn't 6'9 like his HS teammate Antoine Walker.
  32. y2chae

y2chae Panda

That's the thing I don't get about the idea that USA needs it's best athletes to play soccer to win a World Cup. More likely they need better coaching and professional setup (most elite soccer players around the world are on the books of a pro team by age 17).

Yeah sure a guy like Odell Beckham or a Chris Paul might have made a fine soccer player if they did nothing but play that sport but you don't need a super athlete to be great at soccer. Very unlikely a 5'7" Messi could have been a legit pro in any other sport but soccer. Same goes for burgeoning US superstar Christian Pulisic who is listed at 5'8". In fact soccer benefits from the fact that you don't need to be tall or have a huge frame. You just need to be able to run, be agile and have a lot of endurance. Strength, jumping ability and height do matter but only in certain positions. You pretty much need all of those things to be an elite NBA wing player or NFL wide receiver.

Typically a sport kind of chooses an athlete. The athlete usually chooses the sport they have the best combination of physical and technical skill set in. Freak athletes like Bo Jackson and LeBron could have been great in 2 sports but I doubt that someone like Urlacher or Joakim Noah would've been great at some other major sport.
  33. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I want to watch Joakim Noah play tennis. Too tall to change directions quickly so he wouldn't be elite, but he has to be pretty fucking skilled, rangy as hell, and dat serve tho.
  34. SABRSox

US Soccer certainly needs better coaching and a better organizational structure so there's an actual pipeline of talent constantly coming through.

Also, we should not be poor in tall goalies with giant wingspans. Unfortunately, they all play basketball.
  35. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Watch John Isner play sometime. He's a 6'11" American with an absolute monster serve. Just can't get over the top and beat the top ranked players tho
  36. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I only mentioned tennis because Joakim's dad was my favorite player.
  37. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Because smoking is awesome, especially with a sweet buzz.

Football, on the other hand, sucks.
    itsnotrequired likes this.
  38. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Only 22 kids signed up for our local youth FB program this year and, to get even that many, they had to open it up for the first time to everybody in 2 neighborhoods that are filled with hundreds of eligible kids.

In every previous year, they fielded 3 teams, recruiting only from students at nearby Catholic schools.

:nicholson2:
  39. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

40. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Can't imagine the folks at St. Gabriel or St. Jerome are happy with that. Of course, the league those two teams are in is on life support anyways.
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

St. Gabe's has almost as many cheerleaders as football players, possibly more if you only count the kids actually enrolled in St. Gabe's. I think I mentioned earlier that we'll probably move up the start of basketball season, since hardly anybody from these schools will be busy playing football. Everybody signs up for basketball so, unlike football, we can refuse to take their filthy public school CCD kids.
  42. chops

chops never met prope

:thatsracist:
  43. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Already divvying up the basketball rosters. Looks like I'll be coaching "only" 2 teams and no girls. These are all 12U and 8U kids, so most of the tall players are girls.

Maurice Jr. played a pickup game yesterday with an 8th grader who can dunk in traffic on a 10' rim. Our "bigs" are the opposite of that.
    white
  44. Iwritecode

45. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Formalized everything yesterday. One of the coaches flipped out and then walked out of the meeting after his own wife publically told him to STFU. He kinda had a point, tho. They picked his roster by literally drawing names out of a hat, and he ended up with only one good player. The other team at his grade level is absolutely loaded.
  46. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

47. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

48. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

50. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

With the exception of a few schools, CPS should just drop football all together.