The Lessons Learned From Playing High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by SoxFan76, Aug 21, 2012.

1. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I love when groups of people who didn't play competitive football preach on how the lessons you learn playing football are all bullshit and can be taught elsewhere like tumbling or debate team or soccer.
  2. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

:bacon:
  3. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

As someone who played competitive football at the varsity level (starter), let me preach very clearly and succinctly: The lessons you learn playing football are lessons you could learn doing literally anything else in high school.
    Ziggy, Lefty34, y2chae and 3 others like this.
  4. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Disagree.
  5. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Why don't you explain why you disagree with what Quaye said.
  6. Quaye

Because he wants to believe the activity he just so happened to pursue (perhaps at the expense of becoming a more well-rounded individual who doesn't listen to Nickelback and String Cheese Incident and get defensive when people dislike those bands or like bands he's never heard of) just so happens to being the ULTIMATE THING A YOUNG MAN CAN DO TO BETTER HIMSELF

One might point out the irony in a guy castigating people on this board for "never playing football but opining on its life lessons anyway" being the same guy telling you what life lessons you can't learn in activities he never participated in, but hey, let's leave well enough alone there.
    Cheeses, CaptainBallz and Ziggy like this.
  7. 1951Campbell

1951Campbell Free Legal Advice/Beatles Hater

Let's hope he has the gall to say running wind sprints in the heat with no water teaches tenacity and stick-to-itiveness after Ziggy pointed out that the first life lesson they teach you in the Army is stay hydrated.
  8. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Couple things here, taking it at a couple of different angles.

1. As a guy who played football and swam in high school, I can honestly say I learned more life lessons and habits from swimming than I did football.

2. As a guy who works in a high school I can find a plethora of different sports/activities that a male can do that will teach him just as much if not more lessons than playing football.

3. As a guy who spends Friday nights during the fall in the middle of a football field, hearing the way players talk about opponents, teammates, their coaches, and referees - I have to question exactly what lessons are being taught.
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  9. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

I learned way more about life from my 16 years playing soccer than I ever could have playing football. HS football just had a bunch of assholes annoying me.
  10. Quaye

The bottom line is people can learn anything doing any sort of activity or they can fail to learn anything doing any sort of activity. However, the extra special lessons football dorks are always touting are actually very very very very very generic lessons that are pretty much viable for every single organized team activity you can participate in--and most of those other activities don't advocate sociopathic/psychotic behavior, blind adherence to questionable authority, hazing, and the awesomeness of putting your physical well-being at risk for an ultimately insignificant purpose
    Prope likes this.
  11. Quaye

OTOH, without football, K2 Winslow would have never known exactly what it was like being a SOLDIER!
    1951Campbell likes this.
  12. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I wouldn't have converted to Judaism if it weren't for Tim Tebow.
  13. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Because we've gone over this before and it's an endless argument. Perhaps certain people are affected differently by high school football. For me, and apparently for many others as this argument comes up quite often on here and on the radio, it has a profound impact on a young person's life.

I didn't know what hard work was before football. I played baseball my whole life and while the game of baseball is much more difficult (obviously) it isn't nearly as demanding physically (obviously). And when I say hard work I don't mean "I stayed up for 10 hours studying" hard work, I mean running sprints until you're about to pass out and THEN doing agility drills until you're about to cry and THEN hitting the sled up and down a hill for 15 minutes until you actually fall over.
  14. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

That was only an issue my freshman year. Then Korey Stringer died and we received plenty of water breaks after that.
  15. Quaye

This is the fundamental Loftus post. I mean they should frame it and hang it in the Loftus HOF.

"If my experience was X, I better say something universal about that experience!"

No shit football has a positive impact on some people's life. No shit you learned some values and lessons you found valuable. That doesn't mean football is a unique opportunity to learn those values. Also, I love how "learning to do exhausting physical labor with little purpose" is the unique valuable lesson you chose to highlight (never mind that one of your chosen counter-examples--to wit, gymnastics--hyperbolically chosen to be ridiculous, is actually quite a bit more physically demanding than football). An important lesson for a person to learn in order to succeed in a very physical labor-unintensive world is how to deal with running wind sprints!!!!!!
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  16. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

TIL football is the only sport where you run wind sprints until you're really tired
    FedEx likes this.
  17. Quaye

Football is more physically exhausting than baseball. Therefore, logically, football is the only way to learn how to do physically exhausting things!
  18. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I wanted to avoid the teamwork aspect because that can certainly be highlighted by the ignorant as a trait you can learn in every sport. Football is a whole different monster. But I come back to this being a pointless arguement. The ignorant don't realize how different football is compared to other sports or activities.

So we get ignorant responses like the ones above from quaye and zmz.

BUT LOFTON LIKES NICKELBACK* SO HE'S STUPID

*I actually don't, but that's a different story :laff:
  19. Quaye

LOL he sure did point that out
  20. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

No, I'd say hockey is equal if not greater than football depending on the program.

I say that because I've heard of some pretty shitty hockey programs where they just turn kids into headhunters as opposed to actually playing the game.
  21. Quaye

I love how you talk about the ignorant here. What a fucking jerkoff. Ignorant of what? Of playing high school football?

You keep burying your head in the sand screaming football is different and so essential as if it's sui generis among all high school activities because YOU KNOW YOU PLAYED. However you're seemingly blind to the fact that

1.) No one denies that football is in fact a different activity from baseball or the debate team
    2.) Your arguments for why it's so special are in fact things that are pretty much the same as everything else in the fucking world
    3.) The actual differences you highlight are either hardly essential to an adult or are negative values to be taught.

Of course you'll just ignore this and go back to your persecution complex, all while straw manning about how we only disagree with your opinions because EVERYONE HATES POOR LOFTUS all while forgetting that the dog wags the tail and not vice versa
  22. 1951Campbell

A varsity football starter who also engaged in other sports and activities can't weigh in on this topic? :ridiculous:
  23. Quaye

Oh you heard that, did you? Good thing we're now allowed to make judgments based on what we've heard rather than what we experienced. Let me know when that changes back again.
  24. Quaye

No, I'm ignorant because I came away with a different experience. Don't you see? Loftus heard on the radio that other people who played football think it's a singular opportunity to learn how to be an adult, and as we know, the radio is never populated by Lofti
  25. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Thank goodness there isn't any evidence of that sort of thing happening in football (the headhunter stuff). Something about lessons.
  26. 1951Campbell

I just don't get why SoxFan76 wants to die on this mountain.
  27. spiffie

Also, I hated running wind sprints for Model UN. It was hard to keep that globe tucked under my arm while I ran.
    Cheeses likes this.
  28. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Sure. But this is nothing new. quaye thinks any other activity can give you the same experience football can give you. I say that football gives kids a whole different experience than anything else can offer.

Repeat for 50 posts, bring up Nickelback or Justice Beaver, call it a day. It's really the same 'ol shit.
  29. 1951Campbell

It really hurts when clients fire me after they find out my 40 time.
  30. 1951Campbell

...except for hockey?
  31. Quaye

Yeah, that's all there is to this conversation, jackass.

It's not like

1.) You try to rip other people for saying something about football having never experienced it, despite talking mad shit about other activities despite never experiencing them

2.) Seem to be hung up on the idea that since football is different in superficial ways that means that the experiential lessons it provides must therefore be different

3.) Have even failed to provide a single positive lesson football conveys that aren't available in pretty much every other activity

4.) Continue to roll around on your back like a retarded turtle, mantra-ing "but I was there! You weren't!" even when discussing the issue with people like me and Prope who were in fact there.

But yeah, aside from that it's totally just a difference of opinion. Poor, poor, Loftus, on the cross again
  32. spiffie

The repetition is more like Quaye brings up actual arguments and stuff to support his position. Then you say they don't really count. Then he tries a new argument and you just shrug. Then he says your taste in music sucks.
  33. Quaye

Which he never played, but totally heard from this one guy. Which is why you guys who never played the sport should stop talking about sports you never played just because you heard from this one guy what it was like.
  34. Quaye

Well that's another thing. He keeps focusing on how I mention his taste in music like that's an actual argument or his little Christ complex reason why people are always disagreeing with him just to disagree with him.

In fact, the only reason it's brought up is as a comparison to the same sort of argument he's using here. "My friend is in a band and likes all kind of music so therefore it's weird that Ballz doesn't love all kinds of music he's probably just ignorant!" basically is the exact same argument as "Well I played high school football and I personally feel (...that U.S. Americans and the Iraq....) that it's unique but you don't so you're probably just ignorant."
  35. 1951Campbell

:laff:
  36. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Absolutely that happens. We had two in our conference (Morris and Minooka)

I'm sorry quaye had a shitty experience in high school football. Perhaps it was a small school, perhaps his program sucked or perhaps he just wasn't into it, I don't know. I came from a large school with a really good program. Running onto a field with thousands of screaming people, flashing cameras and bright lights was a pretty bad ass experience that you can't get anywhere else in high school. Not to mention the physical aspects which I have already touched on. The whole thing was a very positive experience for me. Lessons such as hard work, teamwork, unsupervised dedication (off season workouts and camps), plus the experiences of being from a winning program and the small town fame and adulation that came with it.

We're hearing stories every day about people who really benefitted from the sport. And you don't have to be a poor brother just to benefit from it. So while I'm definitely alone here (what else is new...:laff:) there seems to be a large population out there who agrees with me.
  37. Quaye

I played hockey, btw. I can pretty confidently say that that mere fact doesn't entitle me to make broad pronouncements about how parents are doing their children a disservice by not letting them play hockey.

"BUT IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN BASEBALL. YOU NEVER SKATE BACKWARD IN BASEBALL WHICH CLEARLY MEANS YOU CAN'T LEARN...SOMETHING?"
  38. spiffie

The most compelling part here is about the fleeting joy of adulation that you'll never have again after your 18th birthday.

Beyond that nothing you say is invalid about what you learned from it. However, you make no case whatsoever to the uniqueness of it beyond getting to feel like a BMOC for a few moments on Friday night. Which is fun and all, but as arguments go it is kind of lacking.
  39. Quaye

I didn't have a shitty experience with football, jackass. I had a fine experience. I'd play it again if I had the choice. Football is fun, and you certainly can gain certain skills. But here you go again listing things as unique to football.

1.) It's really badass to run onto a field with screaming people. Awesome life lesson.

2.) There are physical aspects to football. Totally unique.

3.) Hard work, teamwork, and unsupervised dedication (also known as "practicing on your own" or "leadership"). Totally unique.

4.) The experience of being from a winning program. Totally unique.

5.) Largely undeserved adulation. Great life lesson.

Also, you're just a walking irony bomb. You whine about me having ad hominem arguments against poor Loftus, and yet right here you're trying to render my argument invalid by saying I'm just bitter about a bad football experience I didn't even have.

Pathetic
  40. Quaye

It's also pretty hilarious that dipshit is the one pulling the "what a pointless and tedious discussion since everyone disagrees with me but it's totally just opinions man!" card when he's the one who brought up the point in this thread.
  41. 1951Campbell

[​IMG]
    SoxFan76 likes this.
  42. Quaye

If you play football, someday you too can learn the life lessons the Riggins brothers learned
    Unregistered likes this.
  43. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I don't feel that way either. So I went back on my previous posts during this conversation and nowhere did I find myself stating that my personal experience projects across the broader public regarding this issue.

I feel that with the available programs that high schools offer, nothing compares to football. Let's think about it here. Hockey? Most schools have cut out that program or offer club teams. As I've said, that might compare but I never played organized hockey so I can't relate.

Baseball? Eh, pretty easy sport. Not much to learn outside of playing the actual game.

Soccer? Again, pretty easy. Lots of running around which I guess can teach someone a lesson that running around for awhile is tiring...

Basketball? Same as soccer. Lots of running but pretty boring overall.

Badmitton? Tennis? Bowling? Cross Country? Track? Sure, they all teach you teamwork and shit like that but it's still missing that work ethic you build in football.

I also want to point out that there's not a damn thing wrong with any of those sports and all can result in fantastic experiences without risking turning your brain into mush. I just feel that, again, football offers a whole different experience than those other sports offer.

That seems to be the break down in communication we're having here. It's that old typical Lofton is preaching about the benefits of a sport he played which he feels cannot be provided by any other activity that he may or may not have ever played in his life. That I feel NO OTHER SPORT can benefit a child, therefore taking the risk of a concussion is the ONLY way to succeed in life. That's all bullshit.

Similar lessons can be taught by any sport, sure. And if your position is to deny your kid a damn good experience because of this off chance he might get a concussion, then that's your choice. But I think I've made it very clear that if I have a child willing and able to play football I will absolutely give them that chance. I bold able beacause if I have some beanpole kid who wants to impress this girl by playing football then I'll probably steer him in another direction. The sport doesn't need 100 pound pre-pubescent science club kids getting destroyed by people 3 times their size.
  44. Quaye

^^^You've had some dumb posts in the service of arguing about the essentialness of football, but this one might take the fucking cake
    Deuce and FedEx like this.
  45. Quaye

There's just so much awesomeness here, and I really have to run, but I think it just bears highlighting the awesome shot at NERDS homeboy manages to work into this post.

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lefty34 likes this.
  46. spiffie

FWIW I was more exhausted after tennis practice than football practice. So much running.
    zmz likes this.
  47. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

In order to keep my starting position on my top 10 in state caliber tennis team in HS was to play 4-5 times a week, year round, and pretty much every day once summer hit for 3+ hours. But yeah, I didn't learn the ever-elusive "work ethic" life lesson
  48. 1951Campbell

I remember at soccer practice watching the football players stretch, and "warm up" and stretch, and stretch, and stretch...while we had to run 400m dashes over and over.
  49. spiffie

The most grueling physical activity I've ever done was training for pro wrestling. If you didn't puke every day you were doing something wrong. There would be days I could not move because of training the night before. I knew pain and fatigue I never thought existed, and the warmups alone were more taxing than any sport I'd ever played.

Obviously the solution is to put pro wrestling in high schools.
  50. Quaye

What a happy coincidence that the virtually only sport a 250+ pound kid is physically capable of playing is the one that fulfills all the criteria a 250+ pound kid decided were the most important criteria for the value of a sport in building character.

Also, if I were a betting man, I'd guess that Loftus was much more successful as a football player than a baseball player. Which is also (hypothetically for now) a happy coincidence.