the jake peavy arms race

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by erob3833, Nov 7, 2008.

1. erob3833

erob3833 Respect Muh Authoritah

2. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

They already have a Marshall, now they want a Peavy? How many amps do they need??
    Quaye likes this.
  3. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

zoso's joke :approved:

I think they're looking to sign Jose Mesa (boogie) as well
  4. Racehorse

Racehorse Shooter of Bremsstrahlung

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3412

:hmm:
  5. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

And what exactly is the benefit to any team in this deal except the Cubs. Someone gets Felix Pie. Someone gets Mark DeRosa. Someone gets Jason Marquis and his nearly $10 million salary.

Does Jim Hendry get a pony and lifetime supply of scotch as well with this deal?
  6. Racehorse

I don't see how Pie is a good fit for the Orioles, unless they're looking to just add speed to their roster.
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Yeah, Hendry the Thief strikes again.
  8. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

Its almost like a "how can we help the Cubs get this done deal?"

Does Felix Pie even have value anymore?
  9. Quaye

that trade sounds like something hangar would dream up
  10. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Yeah, just add more and more garbage until the player trade meter on the video game evens out. Isn't Adam Jones taking care of CF for Baltimore?
  11. Quaye

not only that, but salary dumping garbage players like Marquis, all in the same deal?

Heh Heh......HENDRY the THIEF!
  12. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I would imagine he has the same value BA does. Good fielder who hasn't shown any ability to hit consistently.
  13. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

But he hits .400 for the Iowa (RIP Shooter) Cubs!
  14. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Now the Cubs are saying they're not close.

It never made sense that they could keep taking on money with the team up for sale. No matter how good it makes the team, they have to be pretty much maxed out revenue-wise, so every new contractual obligation just cuts into profits. That's not buyer friendly.
  15. spiffie

I honestly would be surprised if they are truly maxed out. They might have a limit they keep for profit reasons, but revenue wise I have no reason to believe they couldn't at least support the 2nd highest payroll in the game.
  16. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Right, but cutting into profits isn't the most attractive thing in the world. I don't know if the Cubs have ever been a ROS for the Tribune Company, so I'm not sure we could see what the profits were, but decreasing margin is not a plus when something is for sale.
  17. spiffie

True, but you have to think this is a vanity purchase as much or more than it is a pure business decision. Would the new owners rather have an extra $5 million in profit or a World Series in their first year on the job?
  18. thewalkoffshot

thewalkoffshot Put It On The Board

19. samram

samram Bon Vivant

If that were the case, the Cubs would be in the CC running while basically paying someone to take Marquis and Lilly to fit he and Peavy. Given the current economy, telling a lender you don't care about the profit is not going to sound good, if it ever does.
  20. spiffie

Obviously there's a line. But in terms of the sale of the team, I would be very surprised if the powers that be were afraid of this deal on the grounds Peavy would be too much, especially if they think they can dump Marquis off somewhere.

Also the Cubs are in the unqiue position where even in this shit economy they could likely raise ticket prices without seeing any drop-off in sales. If they bumped bleacher seats by 50% for weekend summer games, you think they still wouldn't sell?

Sounds like the problem is the farm is pretty much tapped for the Cubs.
  21. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I don't know. Maybe they would, but we'll have to see how people's spending patterns change next year, if they do.
  22. chops

chops knows the brett favre of divorce

I think the Cubs did raise ticket prices.

The cheapest bleacher seat is at least $50 for 76 of the 81 home games.

I think it was in Saturday's trib.
  23. erob3833

erob3833 Respect Muh Authoritah

24. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

25. samram

samram Bon Vivant

So the trade should be announced shortly.

I think they need a left-handed bat way more than another starter. They also need a LOOGY.
  26. Racehorse

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3412

I used to view Peavy as kind of a tough as nails type of guy, but this has whiney written all over it, imo. I understand things like NTC's and picking and choosing certain teams, but these reports have a bit of a snobbish wussie like quality to them. If he's so worried about playing on a contending team that's going to spend money to win, why choose the Cubs? Sure they spend money, but they've only been competitive (record wise) 3 out of the last 10 years. Or maybe Peavy would rather get two cheap outs each GS in the NL and is just plain scared of the AL.

Either way... c'mon Jake, sac up.
  27. Quaye

I wouldn't want to commit $$$ to Peavy even if he wanted to be here.

He's an incredible pitcher, but it's just so risky to pay huge $ to starting pitchers. I mean, even if it pans out, you still paid him 80mm
  28. Racehorse

I totally agree that as good as Peavy is, aquiring him is an expensive & risky proposition... I'm just kind of laughing at Peavy's attitude about wanting to stay in the NL and avoiding the AL.
  29. Mega

Mega one more time for herschel

Excellent post. Let him stay in the NL.
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

He's playing CF for the Orioles in addition to his excellent guitar work and songwriting for progressive hard rockers Tool.
  31. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Hendry: C'mon Kev, let's make this deal happen
    Towers: No. I told you. I want 3 or 4 of your best prospects
    Hendry: Iggy Igowinski is going be a superstar! And Ichobod Von Pipple .....shooot,
    the Cub fans will run me out of town if they find out I'm offering you him. He's a future franchise player
    Towers: Jim, I'm not going to let you rip me off like what you pulled on Beane
    Hendry: Ok, I'm gonna throw in Elmo Fufkin, he's a young pitcher, 100 mph fastball, the closer of the future, he hit like 50 home runs too
    Towers: Elmo Fufkin? We're not the Pirates or Marlins. We're not going to just stock your team up for bad players
    Hendry: Yeah, this is going to be the guy to turn your franchise around. You will have sell-outs every day like we do. You would be on a short list of GM's to win GM of the Year!
    Towers: So your not going to include Hoffpauer and Vitters in the deal are you?
  32. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

Don't we wish the Cubbies had acquired Peavy now. :sadnana:
  33. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

I'm sure there would've been plenty of "towel tossing" or Prior or Wood jokes, but since he's on the Sox, it's "Coop'll fix him!!!" [​IMG]
  34. s=D

:frown:
  35. Quaye

36. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Well, Phil was stunned. So he's right again!​
  37. Lefty34

Lefty34 Internet Radio Sensation

What do you think a healthy Peavy lands in, say July, assuming his productions remains at or near the level it has been thus far this season?
  38. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I'd assume you demand nothing less than one top prospect to go along with some mid level prospects and/or journeymen major leaguers.

Jake Peavy might as well be made of gold right now. Your division leaders are going to be salivating over him come trade deadline time.
  39. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Depends on what amount of his deal the Sox will pick up. I think at the deadline, he'd still have $5-$6M left on this year's deal and then a $4M buyout next year. I doubt anyone will assume $10M and give up one of their top 2-3 prospects, but stranger things have happened. Given the Sox' normal reluctance to eat salary, I think a top 10 and a top 20 from any given system is probably reasonable. Frankly, the Sox are probably better off giving a little in quality to get a bit more in quantity if there are multiple projectible guys they can get in one deal (unless they can get a near-ready or ready blue chipper, which they probably can't).

Now maybe that changes if they decide to be major sellers, trying to move one or more of Thornton, Crain, Ohman, AJ, Floyd, even Konerko.
  40. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

They're not going to trade him; they're going to still be in it.
  41. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

I agree, and with the second wildcard, they should change the non-waiver trade deadline to August 15.
  42. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

Maybe if we give up half our starting rotation and bullpen, we can tarnish the org's reputation for years and get Bob Howry and Keith Foulke.
    Ziggy likes this.
  43. Quaye

Look, all's I'm saying is we should convince Ray Durham to come out of retirement and then trade him.
  44. spiffie

John Cangelosi, Ray Durham, and Jake Peavy for Bryce Harper?
  45. Quaye

what's pete incaviglia up to these days?
  46. s=D

Thome to the Dodgers
    Contreras to the Rockies
    Linestink to the Braves

Nothing to show for it.