Tanaka Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by IWMB, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Can't believe this site wasted three pages on discussing something that was never in the cards for the Sox.

Site's hugeness, etc.
  2. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:shrug:

Always nice to attempt to talk baseball in January. Even if it all was just Hahn trying to get people to talk about them the whole time.
  3. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Discuss baseball on this site? Never.

Kenny's a douche and so is MLB for suspending ARod and his 2014 salary, which undoubtedly played a role in this deal I'd imagine, given the luxury tax implications and the basic fact that they don't have to pay him a nickel this year.
  4. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I wonder if being a Yankees fan is really boring.
  5. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I have 2 good friends that are Yankee fans. 1 is your typical NY douche who thinks New York and the Yankees are God's gift to earth and is probably cumming his pants right now. The other is totally bored with it and doesn't pay much attention anymore.
  6. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I still think it's bullshit they get out of the contract. They should have to pay it still and just have it go into central revenue.

I think they're still over the tax though.
  7. Cheeses

Cheeses Useless w/o pics of mamacitas Cupcake Mod

MOTHERFUCKER
    \
    :chad:
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

At that money not all that upset that the Sox didn't get him
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

3 years from though I'll probably be saying "Damn wish we had signed him"
  10. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

We will be watching him pitch some important game with Joe Buck's dumb voice telling us how to feel.
    Cheeses likes this.
  11. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Opt-out clause is awesome for him. If he does well and the rights bubble keeps expanding he could get another even bigger deal in a few years. If he sucks or is just ok, he gets to keep on collecting for 7 years.

I kind of wish he had gone to the Cubs just to see what awful fate could befall him there. I was guessing spider bite that causes him to lose the thumb on his pitching hand.
    Fuller likes this.
  12. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

13. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Well, 24 days until Spring workouts begin...
  14. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

They only get out of it for this year right? They have to still pay it in 2015 through the end of the contract right?
  15. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Correct.

ARod.PNG

:mj:
  16. spiffie

I believe so. But they get out of enough other deals after next year that they should still be able to get out from the tax.
  17. skottyj

In 2016 (according to this: http://mrphilroth.com/mlbpayrolls/ ) they already have 120 mil to seven players without Tanaka.
  18. ChiSoxJoe

ChiSoxJoe Beckham Fan 15

155 mil for a guy who hasn't thrown a pitch in the majors?

Yanks can have him for that.
  19. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, absolutely. I'd rather go get Ubaldo for 3-4 years on the cheap.
  20. spiffie

True, but they have a decent amount of arb guys who will not get too much. If worse comes to worse they dump one of their big salaries and give up some cash to get it off the books. Also I think they're trying to avoid a repeater tax so even if they go over any one year they're mostly trying to avoid the hit of multiple years in a row.

Also, fuck the Yankees. Just sayin'.
  21. skottyj

But they just signed like four huge contracts in the past two months. I can't see them just letting those guys play and not spending any more money. Here's four superstars and a bunch of arb guys?
  22. spiffie

The arb guys include some of their everyday players. They've been cycling in younger guys for the last few years. I'm sure they'll spend more money, probably more like the Brett Gardner deals than the Tanaka deals. They seem serious about not paying repeater taxes.
  23. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

I was wondering if they were working on a sequel to "The Kei Igawa Experience."
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If the Sox were willing to spend an extra $20 million this season I wonder what the plan is now. I wouldn't mind them offering Ubaldo 4 years $48 million and hope Coop will remove the inconsistency. But if they think Johnson can be a #3 and Paulino can be a serviceable #5 they don't really need another starter.

Nelson Cruz looks like he won't get a big pay day and will have to settle for a short term deal. Maybe 1 year $10 million? If the Sox aren't contending, you can flip him for a mid level prospect.
  25. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I've had a gut feeling for a month or so that Ubaldo will end up here.
    1. Suspected they wouldn't actually get Tanaka, and was right
    2. They're among the 10 teams that it won't cost a pick for
    3. With payroll slashed there is certainly money for it going forward
    4. He's familiar with the division
    5. :coop'llfixem:
    We'll see how it plays out, but he seems like he'd be a good fit as a #3-4 going forward.
  26. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

They only went for Tanaka because they won't lose a pick (2nd round), and because he was young, and has a ton of potential.

I can't see them signing Jimenez, Santana, or Garza.
  27. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Dunno why I was thinking they didn't give up anything :blush:

Right it's just a 2nd for being bottom 10 instead of a 1st. Guess I'll stick with the pick.
  28. spiffie

At this point unless the money is going to a top of the rotation guy (like Tanaka projected as) I'd rather see FA money and draft picks being given up going towards everyday players.
  29. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Cubs offer was 1 yr and $35M less.

:larry:
  30. Cheeses

Cheeses Useless w/o pics of mamacitas Cupcake Mod

Horry Kow.
  31. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Considering Tanaka seemed to be a major target and a key to their off-season, missing by that much is pretty bad.
  32. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I'd call that a bargain. The best I ever had.
  33. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Sounds like the opt out clause was the actual deal breaker for the Cubs. No way they'd give him that when they probably won't be good until year 4.
  34. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

6/120 were numbers I heard rumored about a lot. I doubt the Cubs were the only team to offer close to that. The Yankees just went above and beyond because, well… they’re the Yankees.
  35. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

He'll go into the Hall with a blank hat as a nod to the Cubs offer.
  36. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

"If this were a perfect world I would be standing before you in the Hall of Fame as...a Cankee."
  37. skottyj

http://www.bobsblitz.com/2014/03/mlb-approves-yankees-request-for-tanaka.html
  38. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love