Swisher Being Shopped

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by sox1970, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

I'm not going to go to Zoso's extreme...but I will say this--Nick Swisher makes a LOT of outs

He made 383 last year (396 if you include his 13 GIDP)

Podsednik--not a good hitter by any means--made 382 (in 20 less plate appearances).

Swisher makes about as many outs in a given year as Scott Podsednik. Just saying.
  2. Lefty34

Lefty34 Internet Radio Sensation

I was just joking. I even said in the original post that it was a crackpot trade idea. Calm down. Though if I do say so it makes a little bit of sense :shrug:
  3. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

Swisher also makes a lot of outs whenever it's...an important at-bat. I'd rather go with what we have than his dumb ass. His OPS is inflated because he doesn't swing the bat. When he does, he hits at a .249 clip. I don't care how often you get on base, that blows donkey dick. OPS is not everything, friendos.
  4. Lefty34

Actually Swisher, going off of his 162-game averages for PA's and OBP, makes about 370 outs per season, and Sco Po averages 428. If you just subtract their OBP from 1, the probability of Swisher making an out in any given PA is .643, and Pods' is .66 :shrug:

Lefty34 added 3 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Swisher had a 30.9 VORP in 2009. That's.....yep, that's higher than anyone on the 2009 Chicago White Sox :rolleyes:
  5. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Okay, now your just making things up

/half joking.
  6. Lefty34

7. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

[​IMG]

That's why.
  8. Lefty34

What, is that kid supposed to be, like, good or something?

Lefty34 added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Checked it, and yeah, deez kid can play
  9. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Yessum. Austin Jackson

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/prospects/y2009/profile.jsp?t=p_top&pid=457706

International League MVP this year. .300/.354/.405. Needs to slug a bit better, but they want to bring him up and attempt to move Melky to one of the corner spots and resign either Matsui/Damon. Frankly, there's no room for Swisher, so they are looking to get good value for him based off a pretty decent 2009 season.
  10. Against.The.Wind.2005

Against.The.Wind.2005 n00b

What teams would be interested? His being able to play in the outfield and at 1B should garner some interest I'd think.
  11. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Hendry the thief!!!!!1!!
  12. Against.The.Wind.2005

Y'know, his dad played for the Cubs for a bit and he might fit some needs there, not that I care, damn Cubs.:puke:
  13. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I didn't make that argument.

Really, when productive players start getting moved every year or two, it's not unreasonable to ask why they can't stick anywhere. Do you really think it's just because baseball GMs undervalue OPS?
  14. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

The As traded him because they were able to get an extremely large value for him.

The White Sox traded him because he had a down year and was not liked by the manager.

The Yankees are "shopping" him because they will soon have a glut of OFers and his contract is the most dispensable.
  15. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Don't they have two OFs on the free agent market in Damon and Matsui, both of who played everyday last season? If they sign one of them, they could have that guy in LF, Jackson in CF, and Cabrera in RF. They would still need a DH or they could sign Holliday, Bay, etc. Is the glut so great that they would trade a decent player with a favorable contract in his prime and replace him with a rookie and an expensive FA while re-signing at least one of two guys who are 5 years older and will command more money?

Maybe I'm forgetting about someone else still on the roster which changes this.
  16. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Brett Gardner could be in the mix too. 25 years old. Can play all 3 positions. .270/.345/.379, 93 OPS+ in 108 games. Very inexpensive. If the Yankees had a choice they'd take Matsui >>> Swisher and I don't blame them, I would too.

Honestly, I think their plan is to resign Matsui and go after Bay or Holliday.

Apparently, Holliday is asking for Tex money which he's really not worth at all, so that's going to scare a lot of teams away.
  17. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

One thing to keep in mind with Swisher is that his price is creeping up every year, and he's not going be cheap past 2010. He's due 6.75M next year, and 9M in 2011. Then if you want to keep him in 2012, you're paying 10.25M for him.
  18. Against.The.Wind.2005

Interesting, I wonder what he'll be asking for by his mid-30's. His production is ok, but he sure as hell isn't worth those numbers you dug up. Players are getting overpayed to play a game, an increasingly competitive one, but still a game none the less. Of course this is nothing compared to how much Holiday is going to rake in (that his talent doesn't match up to).
    :grindsmygears:
  19. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

Yet when the Sox first acquired him it was seen as a tremendous bargain. go figure.
  20. Lefty34

It still would have been, because the Sox would have paid $5.3 million for what would have been the highest VORP on the team this past season. I highly doubt Swisher would have put up a VORP that high if he was still in Chicago for 2009, but he still would have had the second-highest OBP (by one point behind Jim Thome) and the highest OPS+....all for $5.3 million. :shrug:
  21. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

It doesn't make sense to say he wouldn't have put up that VORP, but then assume the same OBP and OPS+.
  22. Lefty34

You're right, I said I doubted the VORP so people wouldn't freak and scream "BUT DA YANKEEZ HAVE DA BETTER LINEUP!!11!", so then yeah, they would have been paying under 6 mil for the highest VORP on the team :shrug:
  23. Yoda

Yoda Eater of a 1000 Gyros

Way to go. This is the worst photoshop contest ever.
  24. Lefty34

:isee:

:ridiculous:
  25. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Swisher is a turd but I imagine if we had gotten him when we had Robin and not Ozzie, it would have worked out alright.
  27. Mercy

Mercy Contrarian

Something about hot dogs that is just damn irritating.