Sox and the Trading Deadline

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by spiffie, May 29, 2012.

1. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I think I'd rather have Dempster, all things considered.
  2. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

I think the market for ace starters is going to yield some underwhelming returns, with the new CBA rules. There's no point in losing two top prospects for a 3 month rental and no compensation at the end.
  3. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

plz get grenks
  4. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

:lenny:
  5. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Isn't Milwaukee about to offer him a hundred million for five years?
  6. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

7. October

October Local Pessimist

What would it take to get him? A starting pitcher (Axelrod)?
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Are you a secret Score caller?

Greinke for Axelrod? Are you serious?
  9. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

10. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I think the Sox should follow that up with getting Cole Hamels for Nestor Molina
  11. Quaye

They might. They said they'd "go that high". I don't know who Greinke's agent is (or if he still represents himself) but Milwaukee might just be making that public in anticipation of Greinke turning it down.
  12. October

October Local Pessimist

No I mean. Axelrod + _____ + _____ = Greinke.
  13. October

October Local Pessimist

I really don't know what we have for position players in the minors. JoDanks? Escobar? Hudson(lol)?
  14. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Axelrod+
    Quaye likes this.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Dude you keep listing non prospects. Axelrod isn't a prospect anymore he's a 26 year old tweener AAAA player. Escobar is a career utility guy and while Jordan Danks is still young I don't think anyone in MLB views him anything but a 4th OF right now. Reed was probably the most valuable chip the Sox had coming into the year and he's not going anywhere. Molina has some value. I think the best offer the Sox can pull together is Mitchell, Molina and either Thompson or Walker. But I don't know if that can get it done considering some of the other suitors have much better farm systems.
  16. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

october = the new bckthr
  17. October

October Local Pessimist

18. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I wonder if Floyd checks out ok if maybe Milwaukee would consider taking him as part of a deal. My thinking is they may think they can compete next season in that crap division and if they have Floyd (I think he has an option) at $9M or so, it gives them a third starter in the NL with the ability to fill other holes because they wouldn't pay Greinke $20M. I don't know that they would do that, but I really don't know if the Sox have enough otherwise to get him. I think the Brewers would be better off with the picks than the prospects the Sox could trade.

I think the same thing about Hamels. The Phillies aren't looking to rebuild, but they can't give another pitcher $20M+. So maybe Floyd kind of fits in for them as well as a fourth starter.
  19. October

October Local Pessimist

Lillibridge has been DFA'd. Sign him and trade him for profit again.
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

That'd be hilarious if the Sox sign him. He may not pass waivers though.
  21. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

If you're talking about them getting picks if he walks at the end of the seas I don't think they do it like that anymore. It's only if they offer the guy like the average of the top 25 players in the majors and he declines it do they get picks. I think they said that would apply to like two players this season. I could be wrong but there's no such thing as a Type A or Type B free agenst anymore.
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Also they can only get picks if they offer him arb. Who knows, Greinke might just be like fuck it I'll take it.
  23. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I think it's the top 125, which would be around $12.4M. I'd be shocked if they could retain Greinke for less than that.
  24. CaptainBallz

Somebody better inform that blubbering kid who was publicly humiliated by his Dad
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

Where is Brent's Saviour now?
  26. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

27. zmz

28. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

29. CaptainBallz

God, Cherington... same dif to ol' Brant Lillingsmith
    Ziggy likes this.
  30. Fuller

I can't believe that Lillibridge retweeted me without credit :SteamingMad:
  31. Quaye

Damn you 140 character limit. "_to_dream!" is only like 11 more characters
  32. Unregistered

i cnt w8t 2 drm!
  33. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

the 2 people I've ever had to unfollow on Twitter were bible thumpers. Painful.
  34. 1951Campbell

1951Campbell Free Legal Advice/Beatles Hater

35. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Bleacher report makes me dumber after I go there.

"Five obvious reasons why the Sox could or should get Greinke" and 4 of these 5 reasons could apply to any team!

Brewers need to get something for him, Sox starting pitching is depleted, Sox are contenders, Greinke would help in postseason run, Greinke prefers to be out of the spotlight... great fucking list
  36. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

A list just to have a list. Love it.
  37. y2chae

y2chae Panda

In this case I don't place all the blame on the writer, BR encourages bullshit like this. They don't give a shit if the content is good, as long as it generates traffic. And stupid lists are an easy way to get people to go to a site because it usually provides an agree/disagree situation.
  38. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Why do they have to do it in a slideshow?
  39. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

For some reason the slideshows get like 60% more views. People love pictures and not having to read or scroll.
  40. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

You've just described what it must be like to be Will Smith.
    Ziggy, Unregistered and BURGH like this.
  41. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

List is odd. The Brewers are going to want something back, well, yeah. But that isn't a reason as to why he would end up with the Sox. He might want to play for the Sox, but has a social anxiety disorder and probably doesn't want to go to a bigger market.

Awesome analysis.
  42. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

They are going to want prospects. I'm not going to tell you which prospects they might want, I'll just let that little nugget sink.
  43. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Hey did you know teams out of contention usually trade good players that are in the last year of their contract?
  44. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Giancarlo Stanton, please.

I'll be happy with just acquiring Greinke by Tuesday, though..
  45. Unregistered

Apparently the read on Greinke is that he doesn't like pitching in the Cell. Fucking headcase that guy is.
  46. zmz

Yeah, apparently the Sell is the one stadium he hates pitching in. That's great.
  47. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Meh, he's not a 10-5 guy, so as long as they paid a rental price for him, who cares? No way JR's giving any pitcher what he'll want and I don't blame him.
  48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I don't know. If he's that big of a headcase, I wouldn't want to aggravate his buttfuckery.
  49. Fuller

Seriously, we need to steer WAY the flock clear of Greinke. We had him once before, when he pitched under the pseudonym "Javier Vazquez"
    spiffie and Ziggy like this.
  50. Unregistered