Scotch

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by Zoso, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

Must be IL red tape...maybe the license haps are too expensive for their business model or some shit. TJs typically sells spirits in states that allow grocery stores to do so. NY I think is one that doesn't.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Picked up a stellar 20 year old scotch at Costco last year. TJ doesn't sell spirits in IL. The only state I know they sell their brands of tequila and scotch is Cali.
  3. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Drinking Bunnahabhain before switching to beer tonight. Smoky.
  4. Zoso

Laphroaig is pretty vile. I'm a Highland and Speyside guy.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Too fucking smokey. Don't see how anyone enjoys that stuff.
  6. Zoso

It's not the smoke for me, it's the peat. It murders your palate for the rest of the evening. JW Double Black is smoky and sweet, and there's a little cunt hair of peat in the background.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

From my experience, smoke = peet. Double Black barley just isn't smoked to high hell like Laphroaig is.
  8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

It's not the bison taste I don't like, it's the buffalo.
    chops, Quaye and Deuce like this.
  9. Zoso

It's also really complex and morphs into different things over the course of a glass and then it pretty much takes over your soul and gives you nightmares.
    Deuce likes this.
  10. Zoso

Should be getting a Highland Park 12 in the mail tomorrow in exchange for my Laphroaig Liquid Nightmares.

:nicholson2:
  11. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

:darthvadar:
  12. Zoso

[​IMG]

Highland Park 12 Year Single Malt Scotch Whisky

43% ABV

Atmosphere: cold balls outside, rapidly getting warmer inside. Music: Steely Dan's "Any Major Dude Will Tell You" on Spotify

Nose: Sweet. Autumn fruits (pear and apple). A nice mild dose of peat smoke, a touch of malt, some vanilla, some wood, some citrus. Very diverse and balanced, but it still manages to be interesting despite having a "little bit of everything." It appears to be the dead middle of the malt map.

Palate: Dry and sweet, honey and peat and pepper. I find it to be satisfyingly simple.

Finish: Sweet, subtle lasting heat and dry at the same time. Very nice. It has a nice warmth for 86 proof.
    I find Johnnie Walker Double Black to be the blended analog to this. Ultimately the HP 12 wins out for a longer finish due in no small part to the 3% higher ABV.

89/100 would buy Highland Park again
  13. Zoso

14. Zoso

15. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

when did zoso become a baller? when did skotty become a bike nerd? site members sux...

big boner
  16. Zoso

Adapt or die. :shrug:
  17. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

nose: up in the air
    palette: don't know, cock is in the way
    finish: creamy
    chops and CaptainBallz like this.
  18. Zoso

Hot bartender pours me a dram of Platinum, adds ice without asking and then says 25 dollars. I had to turn it down.
    Deuce likes this.
  19. Quaye

ice in scotch? Who is she, cheeses?
    Cheeses likes this.
  20. Zoso

They have like 5 drinkable bottles in the whole bar and two of them are blended scotches. It's sad what passes for entertainment for these suburban plebes.

Maker's - 9 dollars

Four Roses Single Barrel - 20 dollars (this is a fantastic bourbon but they're charging half the price of the whole bottle for a glass)

Lagunitas IPA in a plastic fucking cup - 6 dollars

Get the fuck out of here :laff:
  21. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Any place serving anything in a plastic cup
    :andruw:
    chops likes this.
  22. Zoso

Bars do that a lot. The balls on these places. You can't have someone back there running a dishwasher? Your one job is to hand liquids to people.

:fin:
  23. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Wholesale bottle of that Four Roses stuff is $29. Another website says alcohol cost should be 20-25%. Should be a $7 drink.
  24. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

With the cleaning it's not even that hard. They have everything behind the bar. The sink and a steamer/sanitizer thing. It takes 2 seconds.
  25. Cheeses

Cheeses The canvas can do miracles Cupcake Mod

Bars serve in plastic cups when they think there's a good chance that the glasses will be dropped or stolen. Schuba's serves in glasses while you're in the bar area, then plastic cups when you're in the band room.

:disgust:
  26. Quaye

bars have got some balls on them to charge 5-10 bucks for a drink and put it in a plastic cup.
    chops likes this.
  27. CaptainBallz

I don't think I remember the last time I drank anything in a plastic cup that wasn't a sporting event. But kinda fuck the person willing to drink a craft beer out of a plastic cup anyway
  28. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

what a bunch of weirdos

big boner
    chops likes this.
  29. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

I wouldn't pay $20 for the Small Batch. Fuck that for the Single Barrel.
  30. Zoso

Single Barrel is better/more expensive. Small Batch the term is meaningless like fancy ketchup.
  31. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

32. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

My bad. I meant the Small Batch - Barrel Strength. Friend received a bottle as a gift. Strong stuff. Made all the hair on my balls fall off and instantly grow back in a perm.
  33. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Good Booze I Own:

The Balvenie Portwood 21 Years: Given as a gift in 1999.
    Redbreast 12 Year Whiskey: In a bottle I received from a fine pub in Castlemaine, County Kerry, Ireland.
    Kirkland 20 Year Speyside Sherry Cask: Fucking Costco rules.
    Ron Zacapa Sistema Solera 23: As a Puertorican, I am ashamed that this rum tastes that good.
    Templeton Rye Small Batch: My go to booze.
    Elijah Craig 12 Year Small Batch: Christmas gift from the Mrs.
    Bushmills 1608 400th Anniversary Edition: Going away gift to myself as I left Ireland.
    maurice likes this.
  34. Zoso

I'm having the last glass of the Lasanta now. It's better than I gave it credit for the other night. I had a weird 36 hours of not being able to taste anything. All my coffee tasted watery too, and it was strongly brewed Komodo Dragon blend from Starbucks.

I would probably just stick with the Glenmorangie Original for 10 bucks less (the Lasanta is about 50)...or else splurge on the Ealanta for 120 bucks or so.
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:gfm:
    for getting an Oberon at a Sox game?
    Deuce likes this.
  36. Zoso

Balvenie 21 wouldn't last a weekend at my house.

How much was the Kirkland?
  37. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

It survived going through my windshield when I took a U-Haul airborne after hitting black ice south of Kankakee on I-57 just after the Snowstorm of the Century. Have a hard time finding special occasions to break it out.

It was only $50 or so from the fall of 2012, I think.
  38. CaptainBallz

I'm talking besides sports, concerts, etc. where you should expect plastic cups.
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Hosed-fancy-dinner-party-about at Deuce's place!
    Quaye likes this.
  40. Zoso

We should have a scotch night. That is if you're comfortable with transporting open containers.

:weebey:
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Trunks: How do they work?
  42. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

I'm game. Lack of garage makes my place unsustainable though.
    chops likes this.
  43. Zoso

Ever hear of a couch?

:cmon:

And Dan Mega would be down for this. I had a shot of Johnnie Walker red at his house once. :shrug:
  44. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Taco Bell for dinner, following it up with a glass of Bunnahabhain.
    chops and Cheeses like this.
  45. itsnotrequired

46. Racehorse

Racehorse Shooter of Bremsstrahlung

95 posts about scotch and not one reference to Talisker? :confused:

giphy.gif
    chops likes this.
  47. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Picked up a bottle of Trader Joes 17 year Highland. Will review upon opening.
  48. Zoso

Having a glass of Double Black now. It's a solid deal when it's low 30s in random places. In the Chi area it's always 40-50 range which is pass city. I got it in NWI for 32.96.

If only JW would bottle their shit higher than 80 proof, this stuff would be outstanding. Instead it's merely adequate. Not much going on but "smooth" and "peat." The only 80 proof stuff I enjoy is Crown products.

I'm gonna pick up a bottle of the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte next weekend.
  49. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Is Mega still MIA?

I just invited him to the Block Party. We'll see if he responds.
  50. Zoso

Last time I saw him was 2 years ago at the BP. He's either not on FB or he deleted me. I don't know what his deal is.