Rasslin'...Let Us Speak About It

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by spiffie, Aug 21, 2013.

1. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

How can we have our new (temporary?) home without a thread about pro wrestling?

I have guarded optimism about Daniel Bryan's future. There are so many potential huge pop moments that could happen in the next 8 months, I really hope they don't screw it up too bad.
  2. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I thought this was gonna be about real wrestling.

[​IMG]
  3. spiffie

That would be wrestling. This is rasslin'
  4. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

5. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

6. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

You nerds going to get out of our thread or what?
  7. spiffie

Hey Balls... :you:
  8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

A WWE thread without nerds?

:what:
  9. spiffie

They're the WRONG NERDS!

Also, we met Fed's gf at the bar for Summerslam. She was mad that no one was set on fire. Sounds like a keeper to me.
  10. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I really like the direction. Sure, I'm upset that HHH is one of the focal points but if the end game is getting Daniel Bryan to be the mega babyface, I'm all for it. As far as I can tell, that's the plan and they are on the path towards that plan now.
  11. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The Bryan thing is fine and it makes sense. All smarks should even like it as last time I checked Vince, Steph, HHH and Orton are hated by smarks. Bryan is the darling of all indie fed and smark wrestling fandom. Shouldn't this be what wrestling is about? You want to cheer for the guys you like and boo the people you hate. All the times I've cringed from a nonsensical Cena promo while wondering why people are booing the Punk, Ryback or the Big Show because these heels are actually making valid points about Cena... this is the opposite. You want to cheer for Bryan because he's working his ass off for the past decade to be where he is now and he deserves the WWE Title. The McMahons are assholes, easy people to boo. Throw in the general perceived incompetence that people have about HHH, Vince and Steph when it comes to actual wrestling and not sports entertainment and the like. Then you have Randy Orton, who in the past 3-4 years has been one of the most boring limp dick characters in wrestling, only being able to stick around in the main event scene because his finisher is super over, a little bit of nepotism, politics, and being part of a good old boy network. It's an easy feud to get behind.
  12. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

It's without a doubt the cleanest feud they've had since, honestly Austin vs. McMahon in the sense that you literally have no reason to cheer HHH, Vince, Steph and Orton. I'm sure at some point HHH will try to paint himself as the COOL HEEL, but he's too old for that now. He has a shaved head and is the corporate shill, honestly I don't think he will do it either way.

So what you have is a pure, pure, pure babyface in Bryan who has done everything right but got screwed by the company who thinks he's too small or whatever. Perfect underdog babyface. It's really amazing and I can't believe how many people I've talked to that thought the angle sucked or were at least disappointed.
  13. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I watched Raw last night and I was so hoping that Shane O Mac was going to come out and help Bryan. Also I kind of like where they're going with Punk again. He's the best when he's really pissed off and not a charicature of himself.
  14. October

October Local Pessimist

I'm just annoyed with HHH as a person injecting himself into main events. I am interested in seeing where this storyline goes, but I feel like HHH didn't have to make himself as big a part of it that he has.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

That's HHH... he has to make himself look good.
  16. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Yes and no. He is running that company though so for it to be an interjection of real into a storyline you kinda need the guy running the show and the perceived jackass to be the heel.

Look at it this way people, you love Daniel Bryan and hate Randy Orton/HHH and want Bryan to beat the hell out of them. That's professional wrestling 101.
  17. skottyj

Needs more 3MB.
  18. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

19. skottyj

I just finished watching RVD vs Jeff Hardy from Summerslam 2001.
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If you are a wrestling fan you need to get Hulu Plus and watch Cesaro vs Sami Zayn 2 out of 3 falls match on NXT. It's possibly the best match of the year by WWE.
  21. spiffie

NXT is the best wrestling show in the US right now.
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Which makes you wonder how a company that produces on average 2 hours of worthless television during a typical 3 hour Raw and Smackdown in general has been pointless since they got rid of the brand separation can produce NXT.
  23. spiffie

Because the people involved with NXT have little or nothing to do with the Raw/Smackdown stuff. NXT is left in its own little world.
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Who are the people in charge of NXT besides Rhodes and Regal?
  25. spiffie

I don't know who currently is their writer. The guy who had been the head writer for NXT most of this year has been bumped up to Smackdown. As long as they're left to do their own thing down in FL I'm sure it will work out though.
  26. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Dusty Rhodes I believe is the top dog there. They had a few old indy guys writing for them but a few have since left. I think Jim Ross has a lot to do with it as well.
  27. spiffie

Dusty was the head booker until Jan 2013. Then the dude who just got bumped to SD took over. Dusty still has input I would expect.
  28. skottyj

HBO Real Sports this weekend ran a story about DDP and Jake the Snake and Razor Ramon doing yoga.
  29. spiffie

1,000 years from now DDP will be worshiped like a taller, more leathery Buddha.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The best part of Raw yesterday aside from the Bryan vs Rollins match, was how they let AJ shit all over Total Divas. I'm surprised they did that, maybe they know the cross viewership between Raw and Total Divas isn't all that much, but while it was hilarious letting AJ point out how useless the women's division is, the fact that it's actually true begs the question... why are any of them still under contract?
  31. spiffie

Nattie's a legacy. The Bellas date who the Bellas date. The Funkadactyls are there because they need someone of color, and one of them has some potential. The others... :dunno:

In a perfect world this would lead to AJ feuding with the Bellas, and bringing in Paige from NXT as her partner.

Actually in a truly perfect world this would lead to Sara Del Rey coming in and just murdering everyone in the division, but I know even dreams need limits.
  32. October

October Local Pessimist

I liked AJs promo, but I would say that the woman's division is actually in pretty good shape for what it is. AJ can be the woman's wrestler the men get behind and the others can be the reality stars that the woman get behind. I like it.
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

AJ's promo was a Punk worthy Pipe Bomb
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

So WWE has already made the "Summer" of Bryan stale. They've had the same ending each RAW (Bryan getting beat up by a combination of Shield/Orton and now Big Show) and continued push Triple H over at the expense of the entire roster for three straight weeks. They've made Show, Ziggler, Miz look weak and Ziggler has gone way downhill since the night after Mania (although his ill timed concussion didn't help). Miz doesn't have the standing to be thrown into this storyline. The only face they've managed to make stronger is Cody Rhodes, in what may have been a career defining performance from him on Raw.

Supposedly the originally plan was to have Show attack the heels with the help of Mark Henry to set up a Show & Henry vs Shield tag team title match for Night of Champions. Henry got hurt at a house show before Raw though, I'm not sure why they couldn't just slide Ziggler into that role. Also, I like Henry but he is injury prone.

Also the theme of NoC is that every title is defended. So is the IC title on the line when Axel faces Punk? It should be and Punk winning would be a nice way to give that belt more credibility because I'm almost positive Punk would not be losing non title matches clean as most do when they have IC title.

I get it though, with Cena and Sheamus gone and Kane feuding with the Wyatt Family, this whole Punk/Heyman thing seemingly happening in a different universe, the roster lacks credible face characters right now. It's pretty much Bryan, Show and Ziggler- since like I said Miz is being overbooked. Rhodes is legit taking time off to get married so even though he's due for a big push, he's gone the next few weeks. I think they need to start giving other talented members on the roster pushes. Like perhaps turn Big E face like he is in NXT and give him a push. Or bring up Sami Zayn.
  35. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The Bryan vs Orton thing is still a bit of a mess. Don't get me wrong, it's still interesting but they've created a mess by making it about Triple H/Steph (BIG SURPRISE) and also Big Show and The Shield as well. And I think the Big Show and Shield's involvement in this has been handled well (except that WWE doesn't understand the definition of iron clad contract) but it just seems to be taking a little away from Bryan vs Orton. The Shield involvement is a good idea actually to sell Orton as a heel who actually is afraid of Bryan and wants protection from him. I think the Show thing, they should've just had him in the role as Bryan's protector due to his contract instead of this "I have no money don't fire me" bit they are doing that puts some of the focus on Show.

Also what the hell has happened to Ziggler? He's a mid card jobber now. Losing clean to Bray Wyatt, dude had the WHC just 4 months ago.

One really good thing to come out of the Bryan thing is that Orton seems to care about his job now. He was going through the motions for the past couple years and now he's stepped it up in the ring and is even passable on the mic.

Hopefully though the end game is Bryan wins the WWE Title sometime in the next few months. Punk wins Royal Rumble and it sets up Bryan vs Punk at Mania... I forgive all the overbooking they are doing now. Let Cena fight Taker (which even the biggest Cena hater would have to be interested in that) and Rock and Lesnar go at it if Rock isn't butthurt about getting injured during last Mania.
  36. spiffie

I don't think Rock will be there. Dream Mania:
    Bryan/HHH
    Punk/Lesnar HitC
    Cena/Taker
    Orton/Rhodes
  37. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I'm going to agree there, I don't think Rocks people will let him work. There were issues in filming Hercules because he got hurt, he can't afford to do that.
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Crazy how being in Fast Five suddenly turned him into a big box office draw and gave him a bigger pop culture profile. Look at his movies before Fast Five... they didn't really draw that well and his movies after have done really well.
  39. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I guess Riddick did really well.

The wrestling headlines were funny. Batista draws big at the box office. Yeah, Dave Batista, the Hollywood box office draw.
  40. spiffie

Apparently Meltzer reported that WWE told one of its major licensing partners not to focus much on Rock as they don't plan for him to return until 2015.
  41. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I don't know if I could handle a Bryan vs HHH match, 5 weeks of "this business" promos...
  42. spiffie

If it ends with HHH tapping out to the Yes Lock in the middle of the ring at Mania, I can FF through those promos.
  43. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

It's all about the payoff with Hunter, the problem is in the past he hasn't executed on those payoffs. He's great at generating heat towards himself and honestly I don't hate his promos, I typically enjoy them. The issue lies with the fact that he'll tell Booker T black dudes don't win titles and "YOUR PEOPLE" aren't championship material.... and then he'll beat them in the middle of the ring.
  44. skottyj

He was good in The Man With the Iron Fists.
  45. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

As a man, I always wished I had fists made of iron.
  46. spiffie

Dream Match: Man with the iron fists vs. Man with the hands of stone.
  47. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I still need to see that movie. Written and directed by The RZA and has a former WWE wrestler in it? I'm failing. I actually have it on DVD right now through Netflix, just haven't gotten around to watching it.
  48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Danny Rand wins when Hands of Stone declares "no mas."
  49. spiffie

But what if the Hands of Stone is in fact Ronnie Garvin, not Roberto Duran?
  50. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

A superhero who shoots chi out of his knuckles vs. a 68YO man who probably is morbidly obese? Tough call.