Petulant Sale and the incompetent front office

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by y2chae, Jul 25, 2016.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:helloexactly:
    The Sox certainly will get pitching back in any deal for a pitcher, and that's the one thing that we know they can develop.

A common misconception is that the Cubs are good because they drafted almost all of their main players, when they really only drafted Bryant and Baez. In terms of the 2016 lineup, Rizzo, Heyward, Zobrist, Russell, Fowler, and Montero all came from other organizations. Their entire starting rotation came from other organizations. Chapman, Hill, Cahill? From other organizations.

If you want the Sox to emulate the Cubs, the you should want them to start acquiring good young players from other organizations, and then later fill the gaps with veterans.
  2. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Theo/Hoyer did get Rizzo though; so they were right about that.
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The wait is over in 3 1/2 hours (though they almost certainly can get Shields through waivers).
  4. Cheeses

Cheeses Depraved Pervert, Wilco Fan Cupcake Mod

5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Mr. Bullshit Suburb

Sox targeting Puig in any talks with Dodgers.
  6. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Targeting or being forced to take him? Sounds like every body in LA hates him.
  7. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Mr. Bullshit Suburb

I see it now, KW and Hahn at the podium with the same drivel we've come to expect from this limp dick franchise, we tried but just weren't happy with our returns we would have received, we remain confident this core can compete next year and years going forward.
  8. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

The Sox actually want him, though it may not even matter unless the Dodgers go all out before the deadline. They just acquired Rich Hill and Josh Reddick from the A's.
  9. sycked

Puig would be the perfect Sox pickup, too. With all of his baggage, he's basically a reclamation project. The raw talent is there and yet a contending team just went out and acquired an OF to likely replace him.

And by perfect, I mean awful. At best, Puig helps you tread the water. Fuck that.
  10. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

So Reddick isn't going to the Cubs?

:yes:
  11. CrazyButtfuckMcGee

CrazyButtfuckMcGee No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Bruce to the mutts.
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Puig has been in steady decline for years. He's young enough to bounce back with a different club, but it would be insane for the Sox to target a reclamation project position player when all of their reclamation success has been pitching.

BTW, Puig is owed $8.2 million in 2017 and $9.2 million in 2018.
  13. Cheeses

14. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

If its Shields for Puig, like the rumours suggest, its a no brainer to me. Gven Shields' FIP/xFIP his run of success isn't likely to stay.

So cheaper, younger guy with potential or older, pricey guy likely to regress.

EDIT: I forgot SD is eating a lot of money, but still. I stick by my point.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I would do Shields for Puig all day. Puig would cost a little more but nothing of note in today's market and he still has upside.

However, it all seems to be lies:

16. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Bob Nightengale 15 minutes ago
    The #Whitesox insist they are not having any trade talks with #Dodgers involving Yasiel Puig
  17. samram

samram Bon Vivant

A bit disheartening that we haven't heard anything about the other guys besides sale.
  18. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

"Mired in mediocrity"

-Forever and ever, your Chicago White Sox
    Ziggy, y2chae and CaptainBallz like this.
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah the success/failure of this deadline doesn't rest of Sale or Q being traded. If they get a great offer, that's fine but don't take a lowball offer.

The success/failure of this deadline is moving the guys that have absolutely no business remaining on this roster: Frazier, Melky, Gonzo, Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Shields.
  20. sycked

:earwax:
  21. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

22. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

"Under the radar."

At least that's what I'll keep telling myself for the next hour and a half.
  23. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Definitely the way to go. Market for both will be even greater in the winter, and better assets should be available.
  24. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I'm feeling Octoberish about the whole thing but then can't help but wonder when I read things like this...

Bregman!
  25. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Robertson has a bad contract ($25mm owed through 2018) that would likely require the Sox to eat a lot of money. And you know how much they like doing that. Same with Shields, unless a team really thinks he's going to opt out at the end of the season, which is probably unlikely. Maybe they can trade bad contracts with another team, but doubt they'll just be able to clear the books of those guys.
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The Padres are paying for half of Shields' contract
  27. Cheeses

Yeah, I thought the SOX were only on the hook for around $5 mil of Shields' contract.
  28. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

He's still owed about $26mm from the Sox for the duration of the contract. So I guess the Sox would trade him and send the SD money with him? Not the easiest trading piece is the point. It's not like he's in a contract year with a few million left for a team who wants to take a flyer. Sox took a risk and they have to hope someone else wants to take on a potentially bad contract.
  29. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

So they didn't move anyone but Duke? Fire fucking everybody.
  30. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I think they can still get a waiver deal done for half of these mopes.