Michigan Breweries

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by maurice, Jan 19, 2012.

1. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Seeing more Greenbush out in the stores. Brother Benjamin imperial IPA is my jam
  2. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

5. CaptainBallz

6. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

7. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

8. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

:what?:

Fuck Bell's anyway
  9. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

2 hearted is my fucking jam
    Deuce likes this.
  10. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

That shit sucks.

:pass:
  11. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

:false:
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

13. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I think I broke my palate. Should I rub some dirt on it and get back in there?

I had lunch at New Holland today and got a sampler of 5 beers that are not widely distributed, 3 of which are supposed to be hop-forward. The only one with any discernible bitterness was the excellent Paleooza. The ESB and English-style IPA tasted like macrobrews. Da fuck?
  14. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

15. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Perhaps it is they who are ghey?
  16. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Currently taking a beating on social media re. a trademark dispute.

This has become quite a trend: Big brewery takes on small brewery over a name, then social media decides whether their complaint makes any fucking sense.
  17. CaptainBallz

With all the love for IPAs, beer nerds sure hate IPL(aws)

:smug:
    Deuce likes this.
  18. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

New place called Cultivate opened a little NE of Greenbush. Great concept where they grow their own hops and barley. Great property with a soccer field and playground for kids. But the beer's not there yet. Brewer candidly admitted that they grossly misunderestimated how much fresh hops are required per barrel. Oh, well. Try again next year.
  19. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Went to Our Brewing, right down the block from New Holland, at Deuce's recommendation. Really good, especially their Beirlinner Weiss and rootbeer milk stout. Friendly crowd. Lots of Hope College students. No food but you can BYO.
    Deuce likes this.
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Transient open for business across the street from Tapestry in Bridgeman. Haymarket East opening down the street late summer. Cultivate is a few miles east. Greenbush is a few miles south.
    Deuce likes this.
  21. CaptainBallz

22. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

We need to open a Beer, Bed & Breakfast in Bridgeman. Call it a BBBB. Rent bikes so people can pedal around and get drunk. Get the Brew Buses to drive them there from Chicago with stops at 3F etc. on the way.
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Greenbush bought the restaurant next door (Fitzgeralds), so they now own like 4 properties on that block.

CaptainBallz and Deuce like this.
  24. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

I love Fitzgerald's, because it was totally the redheaded stepchild. Then, they began to prominently display that they too have craft beer and they took on overflow patrons from Greenbush. They must have said "fuck it" full on, took the money and :imout: .
  25. CaptainBallz

I won a Greenbush growler and $10 gift card from a raffle at Open Bottle, so a trip to Sawyer is coming SOON
  26. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

This story is about the MI Liquor Control Commission, but not a Michigan brewery. The commission went full retard and banned Flying Dog from selling a beer named Raging Bitch. The brewery sued the commission on 1st Amend. ground, and the case initially was dismissed, but the 6th Cir. Court of Appeals just reinstated the suit, dropping substantial hints that the brewery will win cash money damages from the state commision.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/13/flying-dog-brewery-wins-first-amendment

On a somewhat related note, I may have previously mentioned that the same commission prevented Founder's from selling Breakfast Stout because there was a baby on the label. That's why, if you buy Breakfast Stout in MI, the label is different. Maybe this decision will help that case as well.
  27. CaptainBallz

what's with all the puritanical halfwits on the MI liquor control commission?
  28. Cheeses

Cheeses The canvas can do miracles Cupcake Mod

Michigan = very Christ-y. Esp. over by the west coast.
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I'd say it's more the chewy middle.

West has a lot of Chicago types. East has the maurices and generic suburban white people. Middle is (was?) the militia capital of the U.S.

Real estate in most of the state is completely worthless, and most of their smart kids and hot chicks move to Chicago.

:shrug:
  30. Cheeses

I drove through Holland and got an xtreme Jesus vibe.
  31. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Totally. Plus Grand Rapids is run by the Amway Mormons.
  32. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Holland has Hope College but, near as I can tell, the students are run-off-the-mill lushes like us.

The region including Holland, GR, and points south may lead the country in craft beer produced per capita.

:shrug:
  33. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Saugatuck is :gg: heaven.
  34. Cheeses

:nicholson:

Spent a few days there with -1.
  35. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

the up rules
    Deuce likes this.
  36. Cheeses

Nice nature haps, but gotta plan out your shit there because past a certain time, nothing is open so good luck finding food/lodging/gas haps.
  37. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

get a clue, city slicker
    zmz likes this.
  38. Cheeses

39. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Wife went to school in Marquette, MI. Last time we visited, went to Blackrocks and Ore Docks Brewing. Ore Docks beat that ass, and had space for a live band. Blackrocks and their shitty D-town bartender can suck all the Ds.
  40. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

41. CaptainBallz

Be sure to try: Black IPAs (thankfully) turned out to be mostly a fad .....

:what:
  42. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

At least he recognizes that Anger is fucking delicious.
  43. CaptainBallz

Went to Greenbush last night (forgot to use gift card/ realized someone broke my growler a few weeks ago - :twitch:). New place next door, Clean Plate Club, is open for business and food sitch is completely different inside Greenbush itself. GB is nothing but BBQ and southern eats (shrimp n' grits, muffaletta sams, etc.) -- pretty limited menu generally -- while the place next door is more of a diner with breakfast/lunch haps, with meatloaf options for dinner.

Only problem is the place next door isn't serving beer yet, so was unsurprisingly empty while the Annex was full and GB was a 2 hour wait. Not a huge deal, but it resulted in GB running out of a bunch of its food options by 8p. Wife's giant muffaletta was awesome (we took home 3/4 of it) and after I got punked out of the BBQ sampler and Cubano sandwich, ended up with a clam po' boy, which was decent. Pork n' beans side was awesome. Would've been best if they told us up front that menu is different now. Probably would've just stayed at the annex with a bomb charcuterie board or bratwurst.

Now I know for next time (next week??)!
  44. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Prices are nuts for a diner in bumfuck. Can't blame them, tho. They've come a long way from being just a tap room with a LEGO table and a smoker on the side.
    http://www.soxhaps.com/threads/michigan-breweries.14462/page-2#post-653226

Still, I find myself spending less and less time there, and more time at the rebuilt Stray Dog. Might not stop there at all after Haymarket East opens. Quite the turn of events.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    CaptainBallz and Deuce like this.
  45. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Unsustainable or did they just never produce much beer in the first place? I was up there a few weeks ago, and their beer was nowhere to be found.

Area is dominated by Jolly Pumpkin, which owns a few places with different names and a fairly fancy restaurant. Right Brain was pretty good. Charlevoix Brewing has a great location and decent beer.

The biggest surprise was Hoplot. Highly recommended and likely to improve as they're growing their own hop.
  46. CaptainBallz

Yeah, plan for next time is to make a beer stop at GB, but explore the other options in the area (Stray Dog, Round Barn, Tapistry, etc.)
  47. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Add me to the list of folk who has their boner slightly deflated every time I go to GB.
    Deuce likes this.
  48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

We're such a bunch of beer hipsters who liked it before it was popular.
    Cheeses likes this.
  49. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Recommended the place to a woman I work out with. She took her family out there and enjoyed the food, but was put off by the loud heavy metal music. I never experienced that there, but could totally see a douchey Kuma's cloning.
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  50. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Mr. Bullshit Suburb

Got me a 6 of Star Chicken Shotgun for consumption
    Cheeses and CaptainBallz like this.