Michigan Breweries

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by maurice, Jan 19, 2012.

1. y2chae

y2chae Panda

10:45 am: Arrived. Line is long.
    11:00 am: They start handing out tokens. They run out. Have to make more (which are numbers on a poker chip but for some reason it takes forever)
    12:30 pm: Finally got token #344.
    1:00 pm: Checked into hotel and went to Denny's
    3:00 pm: Went back to brewery for the start of the party
    8:30 pm: About 8 beers deep and drunk and eating the free food. Give my token to my friend because it would be at least another 2 to 2.5 hours until they reach my number. I know I can't stay and this high alcohol beer, otherwise it'd be bad news. Walk the mile back to my hotel.
    9:00 pm: Go to Wendy's near hotel and get food.
    10:00 pm: Passed out at unknown time but 2 of the guys I was staying with are pounding on the door. I let them in. Instead of waiting in line to get beer they walked to some grocery store and bought 2 cases of Coors Light and some Sparks. Drink a Sparks.
    10:30 pm: Last person that was staying in same room arrives. Continue to drink.
    12:00 am: Pass out

So in conclusion we got there early for ultimately no reason because we all ended up too drunk and left before 10:30/11 pm when it would have been our turn to buy beer. Don't really regret it, had everything I would've bought on draft so :shrug:

Plus I knew I would get too drunk so I didn't even take my car in the afternoon so I would've had to carry a box of beer a mile. Next year if I go, I'm just going to attend the party event and skip the whole clusterfuck in the morning. The party is still a good event. $5, and you can buy excellent beer on draft for $4 a piece and they bring out awesome food, grilled lamb, elk, deer, pig, etc.
  2. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

3. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

Small place. The pizza looked good, but I didn't try it. Only had two beers on tap: Black Betsy Stout and the No Name Imperial Stout. Both were good, but the imperial had a deceptively smooth draw that made it a keeper.
    The place is great, the locale is perfect, the beer... rather average. Not a bad thing, since they are only $5 each for a 16 ounce pint. Still, I was hoping for something noteworthy. Personal preferences on what was available in house:

Silver Foam Lager: Shit. Tasted like a crappy lager. Pass.
    The Fishladder (IPA): Very good IPA. Nothing stellar, but if you dig IPAs, you will enjoy the Fishladder.
    Senator Lyon's Stout: Best of the bunch. Really good stout. Would drink again.
    Some Shitty Doppelbock: Shitty.
    John Ball Brown: A good brown, which is to say, an average beer.
    Campau's $90 Pale: Choice pale ale. Tastebuds were hurting at this point, since I drank the beers in the order they gave me them, but I enjoyed it.
  4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Per FB, Hopslam has been delivered to bars...in MI and IN at least.
  5. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

Yum... I will have a couple of slams tonight
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Deuce likes this.
  7. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

Never heard of #1. Can you get it in Chicago?
  8. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

3Floyds is a good'n

deep dicking
  9. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Just did a quick search on BeerMenus for a few of their beers and it looks like you can get them at a few places.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

In Michigan, and I'm hitting the Hideout in a few hours. May get to Grand Rapids Brewing Company as well for $10 growlers.
  11. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Hill-Farmstead only sells beers straight from their VT brewery. Their IPAs are awesome (Ephraim, Abner, Galaxy) and I hear good things about their saisons too. I don't like that style, so I can't tell you. Real small place out in the middle of nowhere.
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Headed to MI in a few hours. I most likely will drink beer.
    Deuce likes this.
  13. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

coors light-about?

big boner
    Cheeses likes this.
  14. BoKnows

BoKnows Bo Jackson: What Ever Happened To That Guy?

Went to greenbush yesterday, had some quality beers and surprisingly quality sandwiches. They haven't set up the smoker yet cause of the construction they're doing to expand the place, but even their normal menu was good. I also enjoy the fact they give you a legitimate flight of beer with 6 oz. each rather than some weak shot of each kind of beer
  15. BeviBall

Fitzgerald's restaurant next to Greenbush is pretty good... usually hit up both.
  16. BoKnows

Somehow Fitzgeralds only serves like 2 green bush offerings despite the fact they're next door. The bartender at green bush had no idea why they didn't have all their beers, maybe someday it'll happen.
  17. BeviBall

I find that odd too. They don't offer much on tap to begin with but maybe they don't want to steal their business? No clue.
  18. BoKnows

I'd think it wouldn't really steal their business since I'm sure they sell above cost to other people, but I'm just glad I checked this thread before heading up to my family's place in Michigan this weekend so I could have something other than Mickeys or Jimmy's in new buffalo
  19. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Went overby GB today. No smoker sucks, but the turkey club was an awesome substitute. Warshed it down with a Doomslayer while the boys dominated the lego table. Swing by Barneys to make a 6-pack. Also picked up some Witsun and a Doom bomber. Every place I went was deserted because it was after 6 local time on a Sunday. Gotta love shoulder season in harbor country.

Fitzgeralds had some ridiculous sidewalk placard advertising: "We have 2 varieties of [insert shitty beer]!" Yeah, well the brewery literally next door has 12 types of non-shitty beer, so fuck you.
  20. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

do any of these places have coors light?

big boner
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

While I was in the beer aisle at Barneys, some 60 YO moustachioed fat guy asked me if they have "any good MI beers." I waved in the general direction of about 50 beers, and asked him what kind of beer he likes. He said, "Honestly, I like Miller Lite. I don't like strong flavors." That quickly ruled out 49 of the 50, so I handed him a Shorts Pilsner.
  22. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

I don't look down my nose at the skotty's of the world just prefer a cold MGD 64 or 2-3 Mike's instead of higher quality beers, but fuck, some people are just children about trying anything new.

Was at Tribe's Tinley a few weeks ago, and this lady orders a Wit of some kind... nothing particularly challenging. You would think the bartender tossed grass and orange peels into a blender and served it in a hot ashtray. "OMG, I can't even swallow (heheh) any more of that. I just can't... OMG, gimme a Miller Lite."

Then there was a couple, probably in their 50's, both drinking 64's. By all means, keep occupying seats and ordering Miller products during the Friday dinner rush at a place specializing in craft beer. Doesn't make you gay at all.
  23. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah, you are a pud if you go to a craft beer place and order a Miller Lite. Why wouldn't you just go to a Bar Louie or Hooters instead if you don't like craft beer?
  24. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Maybe because it's a nice place? Or they have good food?

You don't have to like craft beers to go to a place that sells craft beers.
  25. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

We're not saying "sells craft beer" we're talking about places that are very specifically craft beer places, brewpubs or breweries. Tribe's (although I've never been, just heard of) is very clearly a "craft beer bar". I've seen people drinking Bud Light at the Two Brothers Brewery, it's not a big deal but it's basically akin to ordering a hamburger at a Mexican restaurant. Maybe it's good and everybody likes hamburgers, but fuck go to Burger King then.
    y2chae and CaptainBallz like this.
  26. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

People suck?

:whoknew:
  27. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

I was going off the website.

We love beer and it shows. It’s what we do. We wake up in the morning and we buy beer. We go to sleep at night and hope that we find more new and exciting beer the following morning. And then we do it again, again and again. Our favorite customer question? “Whats new?” We strive each and every day to bring our customers the best beer we can get our hands on. We assume you love beer as much as we do! So, at out Mokena location, we offer 42 different craft beers on draft! And at our Tinley Park location we are proud to pour 53 drafts plus cask beer from our beer engine when available!
    Don’t like beer? No problem, we do offer a full bar!
    As far as food goes, make sure you check out our menu! We offer an eclectic array of fantastic pub fare including Escargot, Poutine, Bison Burgers and an Incredible Selection of Steaks! You won’t go hungry, nor will you be disappointed! Oh, and YES, my fellow family people we are family friendly! You just have to have the little ones exit the building by 10PM. Oh and here’s a tip: We are very busy on weekends, and while we do accept reservations (ONLY FOR PARTIES OF 8 OR MORE), invariably, there may still be a wait so get here early and grab a tasty brew. If you are looking for a quiet evening, we suggest coming out on a weekday night rather than waiting for the weekend!
  28. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

Two Brothers Roundhouse doesn't even sell domestics. At least in the side rooms, I don't know about the restaurant area up front.
  29. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Not the Roundhouse, the actual brewery in Warrenville. I've only been to the Roundhouse once.
  30. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

Re: the Miller 64 thing...that can't have any taste at all, can it?

I mean, fuck: it's beer. It's going to have calories to have any taste at all.
  31. SoxFan76

SoxFan76 Classic Lofton

When it's cold it tastes like nothing.
    When it's warm it tastes like straight piss.
  32. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

So I'm going to Grand Haven with the 'rents next week. Planning on hitting up Grand Rapids one of the days because I need to get to Founders. Any other breweries/brew pubs I should check out?

Of course being in GH, I'll be hitting up Odd Side Ales often but I've never done the Grand Rapids brews. Mind you, I'll be with my 60-year-old parents.
  33. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Hopcat. You really don't need to go anywhere else, because they have everybody's stuff on draft. In some cases, the drafts there are cheaper than at the breweries that make them. Of course, there's also Founders, Vivant, Hideout, GR Brewing Co., etc. if you're feeling ambitious. Deuce probably could list 20 different places.

If they get sick of the youngish GR bar scene, stop for a meal and a glass of wine at San Chez tapas. Pretty much all of these places are in the same part of town.
    FedEx likes this.
  34. BeviBall

CRACK FRIES

I'm down to my last Odd Side CPA.

:bullshit:
  35. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Picked up 2 mixed 6-packs at Barneys last weekend.

Founders' Harvest Ale is really good.
  36. BeviBall

It's awesome but not for long. It's got a 3 week life span if you're lucky but amazing on tap if you can find it.
  37. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Update:
    Founders' Dry Hopped Pale Ale is kinda shitty. Worse than Harvest Ale, obviously, but also quite a bit worse than All Day IPA as well. Not sure what purpose this beer serves except to hand to people who generically order a "pale ale."
  38. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Update 2:
    Harvest > Centennial > All-Day bottle > All-Day can > DHPA

Sampled previously but not this weekend:
    Devil Dancer, Doom
  39. y2chae

y2chae Panda

So I would like to go the 4 Elf Party at Dark Horse again this year, supposedly it will be a ticketed event this time but their website kind of sucks and has no info on anything except that it's on December 14th.
  40. BeviBall

Ticketed events are better but they can't put on an event to save their lives. They're not the only ones of course. I still laugh at the Toppling Goliath release from the spring where assholes actually brought changes of clothes to get back in line. No doubt they were from Chicago.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  41. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah most of these breweries being small operations run by guys who have no experience on how to logistically handle an event where 500 to 600 people show up to, I guess I can't be all that surprised at the disorganization and inevitable clusterfuck
  42. BeviBall

I really believe Chicago beer nerds are to blame. Every other beer event I've been to outside the driving radius of 312 is usually run very well and there's no line cutting, getting there hours before dawn, etc. SoCal sometimes has the same problems I hear but it's almost always Chicago douchebags that ruin it for everyone.
  43. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah there is a reason posters at BA from all the surrounding states love using the term FIB...
  44. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I fucking hate waiting in line for anything and so I judge breweries on their widely available year-round and seasonal offerings. Dark Horse stouts are quite good and you usually can get them at Walgreens, though they seem to be trickling out slowly this year. Also, a lot of MI breweries regularly have beer events in Chicago, and DH is no exception. Off the top of my head, they have events with Solemn Oath and Fountainhead right around the corner.

In other MI beer news that may interest only me, Jill Sites is out at Greenbush.
  45. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

http://www.darkhorsebrewery.com/events/
  46. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What events are they having in Chicago?
  47. y2chae

y2chae Panda

48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

49. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

My buddy went to Greenbush a couple of weekends ago, said really good things. Renting a house with 20 people for NYE near New Buffalo, hoping to head out there during the afternoon 1 of the days.