Looking ahead to 2016

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by maurice, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Having stuck a fork in these assholes months ago, let's see what's in store for next season in this annual feature, starting with the position players.

C - Hahn has been looking to upgrade here for awhile, but there's not a lot of depth across MLB. Flowers may return as the perennial stopgap--a pretty good defensive player with a below-average bat (even at such an offensively weak position). Strange because, when he was a prospect, he projected the other way. The backup probably will be an inexpensive journeyman. Soto and Brantley are on the roster today, but it could be different guys next year. No real blue chippers on deck, like most other teams. Smith is a decent prospect but will start the year at AAA. Last year's Nieto claim looks like a bust.

1B/DH - Abreu is a stud and hopefully will have this spot locked up for years to come. LaRoche is a dud, but he remains under contract and immovable. No prospects are close, so any every-day 1B/DH will have to come from outside the organization. More likely, they just rotate LaRoche and other position players through this slot.

2B - I'm tempted to mush all the other IF positions together, but let's try it this way. Johnson can't play any other IF position, so I'll slot him here. He's a top prospect for a team that can't develop any position prospects, so color me skeptical. Still, he has the physical tools to be a good MLB player, and they clearly want him to be the guy at 2B. He needs to stay healthy and continue to work on his defense.

SS - Ramirez has a huge team option for 2016 and picked the wrong time to have a shit year. Outside chance that they bring him back with his recent resurgence, particularly if they can't find a better way to spend the money, but I think this spot goes to Sanchez. He's very young (23), has been good in the second half, and probably is capable enough to handle short...at least until top position prospect Anderson is ready to take over...assuming Anderson sticks at SS.

3B - This position traditionally is a black hole for the Sox org, especially after JR let Ventura walk (hobble?) away from the team. Unfortunately, he brought him back in a shitty role, but that's a different thread. There really aren't any strong candidates here. Saladino has played okay and has some tools, but isn't really a top prospect. Davidson looks like a bust--toolsy as fuck, but can't make enough contact. Olt is a joke. He, Beckham, and Garcia can fuck off at this point. The top prospect at this position (Michalczewski) is a couple of years away. Look for Hahn to target 3B during the offseason.

OF - I don't expect to see a lot of turnover here, though Hahn could surprise me and add another corner bat. Eaton quietly has had a good season and a phenomenal second half. Disappointing as a base stealer, but you can live with that if he gets on base 35-40% of the time. Cabrera is under contract, and probably isn't going anywhere. I don't think they're ready to cut bait on Garcia, who has been disappointing and needs to step up his production at age 24/25 if he wants the Sox to keep running him out there. Thompson has a phenomenal pedigree, decent MiLB production, and awesome MLB production in limited ABs. He's also a capable CF, so can stick as a 4th OF. Otherwise, Shuck or a similar journeyman can fill that role. Prospects Hawkins and May should be in AAA next year, but there's no sign that they'll be ready to contribute at the MLB level any time soon.

(pitchers in my next post)
  2. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

As bad as the Sox are at producing position players, they’re equally good at producing pitchers.

SP - I have to assume that Samardzija is gone, unless he flops on the market and decides to take the QO. His bed-shitting 2015 was a massive disappointment, as the Sox clearly wanted to sign him to a long-term deal. The good news is that there's a lot of depth here. Sale is one of the best pitchers in baseball (albeit shitty lately). Quintana remains a diamond in the rough. Danks has had a relatively strong 2nd half and remains under contract. Beyond these veterans, the young depth is really quite impressive. Rodon looks like the real deal, and Johnson looks ready to fill out the rotation. 2015 top pick Fulmer also could be ready in 2016. The org seemingly has considered Beck a future MLB starter for some time (though his MiLB production doesn’t really justify their optimism). The next wave of guys (Adams, Danish, etc.) will be competing to see who’s next in a very productive pipeline.

RP - Robertson has followed Sale’s lead and gone to shit at the end of crap season, but he has a solid track record. It’s a total luxury for a losing team to have a high-paid closer, but he’ll probably return in 2016. Jones looks to be healthy and effective again, and could take over as closer if they decide to move Robertson. In the meanwhile, he should be an effective setup man. Duke and Jennings should be back as lefty setup / LOOGY. The Sox seem to be high on Petricka and Webb, but they need to be more consistent. Montas was a starter in MiLB but projects as a high-leverage reliever in MLB. That’s already a full pen, even before mentioning guys like Albers, Putnam, and the next wave of prospects.

(conclusion in next post)
  3. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:flush:

No future
    sycked likes this.
  4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Unless Hahn sees things differently, the Sox are in the extremely fortunate position of not needing to acquire any pitchers. OTOH, they have great need in terms of offense, especially at C and 3B. Decent chance they’ll also prove to need another MIF and corner OF. Efforts to address these needs in recent offseasons have not borne fruit with the obvious exception of Abreu and arguably Eaton. If Cabrera continues his 2nd-half resurgence, maybe add him to the short list.

Costs remain controlled by the excellent bang-for-the-buck they get from their young pitchers and by the extended looks they give young position players (something that rarely happened under KW). Dumping Shark and Alexei should free up some cash. Hahn has shown that (like KW) he’s not afraid to pull the trigger on a veteran (and unlike KW) without breaking the bank or depleting the farm system, so I expect him to make things interesting this offseason. Only time will tell if the guys he brings in turn out to be upgrades or LaRoches.
  5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Mr. Bullshit Suburb

6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If Montas can work out as a starter that'd be great. If not I think he can be an elite reliever.
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If Eaton doesn't shit the bed at the start of next season and Melky and Sanchez continue their second half play into next year, the Sox only really need to address having bats at a few positions. C & 3B are the major holes but Abreu will be good we know that. God forbid a position player pans out or exceeds expectations on this organization. A lineup with Eaton, Melky, Sanchez, Abreu, Thompson and either Micah (moving Sanchez to SS) or Alexei being at least average to good at the plate in respect to their positions may give hope at a lineup that doesn't suck.

Then the only true holes in the lineup would be C, 3B, RF, DH. Could argue that even though Flowers sucks at the plate his defense might make the position less of a priority to address. DH you could also possibly fix by throwing Micah there and telling Laroche to fuck off and be the back up 1B/DH. In that scenario you could also still get rid off Alexei and hope that Anderson is ready. I don't think Avi will hit well enough to make up for his horrible defense so I think it's time to move him. This will never happen but I'd like to see the Sox make a splash and get Heyward at 10 years $200 million.
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Being optimistic I would like to see a lineup of:

CF/LF Eaton .280/.350/.410
    2B Micah .270/.340/.400
    1B Abreu .300/.370/.550
    RF Heyward .280/.350/.450
    LF/CF Thompson .270/.330/.425
    DH Melky .290/.330/.420
    SS Sanchez .280/.320/.430
    3B ???
    C Flowers .220/.280/.380
  10. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

How long is Avi locked up for?
  11. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

2015: $523,000, 2016: Pre-arb. Eligible, 2017-19: Arb. Eligible, 2020: Free Agent
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Garcia is the new Viciedo. Young. Talented. Cost controlled. No defensive value. Physically powerful in the post-roids era, despite lack of production. They'll give him every chance to succeed.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah he's a guy who should be producing but isn't.
  14. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

15. Cheeses

Bring everyone back, please, and watch your ST base drop to 5000.
  16. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Haven't watched all year. Robin is still the manager?
  17. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Until the White Sox can produce position players from their farm system, there's no reason to believe they will be competitive.
  18. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

Or until they can figure out why so many player's stats suddenly go in the toilet the second they put on a White Sox uniform.
    Ziggy and Unregistered like this.
  19. skottyj

So 100% renewal?
    Cheeses likes this.
  20. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Saladino cooled off tremendously after a hot start (.231/.272/.342) but is he a potential option for SS? I agree with mo that it should be Sanchez at SS with Saladino as a UTIL infielder perhaps. The key is going to be (as it's been for what seems like forever) 3B. If they can get something above a corpse there, they aren't in a totally awful spot.
  21. skottyj

Was talking with a buddy yesterday and I said: "Remember when you wanted to sign Pablo Sandoval?" We both just laughed.
  22. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

.245/.292/.366. Weight: 350 lbs.

Boston Red Sox: $17,600,000

Boston Red Sox: $17,600,000

Boston Red Sox: $18,600,000

Boston Red Sox: $18,600,000

I remember arguing with friends that I didn't trust him in this city. I thought once he discovered Italian beefs (presumably the place closest to his apartment/house since that's the best in the city), he'd be 400 lbs by August. Turns out, he was able to do that pretty much anywhere he went.
    maurice likes this.
  23. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

Here we go another season with the same results as before. As we end this year we go into next with the same holes as last year. C, 2b,3b,RF.. and now we add SS to that list. And since the Sox and most of their fans refuse to understand a complete rebuild is needed from Kenny on down to the minor leagues, this looking ahead is on attempting to get back to the playoffs in 2016. I am not taking into account at this time money.

A way we go.

Trades:
    I don't want to move this guy, but he is the best chip they have to get what the SOX need in the near future.
    Moving Jose Quintina and either Sanchez/Johnson to the Reds for Todd Fraizer and Brandon Phillips. This gives the team the 3B they have been wanting since 2007, and provides a decent 2b.

Free Agents:
    The 1st day of FA, the Sox sign Mark Burehle to a 1 day contract so he can retire a White SOX.
    The Sox need to fill their other gaping hole in C through FA. Matt Wieters is there #1 Target this off-season. Flowers will move to the back-up as this fits him well.
    The Sox also need a RHSP in the mix, one that has success in the ALC and one that the Sox have some knowledge of. This man is Doug Fister.

Roster:
    C- Wieters/Flowers
    1b-Abreu/LaRouche
    2b- Phillips
    SS- Still working on this
    3b- Fraizer
    LF- Melky
    CF- Eaton
    RF- Thompson/Avi ( Battle during ST, I also sign a VET as a backup)
    DH LaRouche/ Position player needing rest.

Rotation
    1. Sale
    2. Rodon
    3. Fister
    4. Danks
    5. Johnson

Bullpen
    CP- Robertson
    RP-Duke
    RP-Jones
    RP- Jennings
  24. Cheeses

25. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

26. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

If Sandy doesn't want it I'm sure they can call Omar Vizquel or Robbie Alomar.

Seriously the White Sox front office roladex is like 15 guys deep.
  27. skottyj

28. whitesox901

whitesox901 Banjo and Kazui's great adventure

Susan Slusser Verified account
    ‏@susanslusser

I'm hearing that Athletics minor league hitting coordinator Greg Sparks will be the #WhiteSox asst. hitting coach.
  29. SABRSox

I honestly don't care what the Sox do at the mlb level for next year. They're still gonna suck.

We need to solve the problem of not developing position players. Can't have any sustained success if we don't have talent coming up regularly.
  30. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

:fatguy:
  31. SABRSox

:shrug:

Trading Quintana for two aging players doesn't really excite me.

And besides, this team isn't serious about winning with Ventura around.
  32. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

Sox aren't trading Q for anything other than high level prospects. Actually, they aren't trading him at all.
  33. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Who said anything about aging players?
    Ziggy and rustysurf83 like this.
  34. BeviBall

God, that post by Anthrax...

Quintana for Frazier and Phillips. May as well ask for Votto and the bones of Schotzie while you're at it.

:insane:
    Team Speed and maurice like this.
  35. BeviBall

He's referencing Anthrax's post from 3+ weeks ago.

:difference:
  36. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

37. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Sox declined the 10 million option on Ramirez.
  38. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

39. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Surprised they didn't think they could flip him for something at least. He was still a 1 WAR player last season :shrug:
  40. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Meh, not work the possibility of getting stuck with him.
  41. Cheeses

Smell ya later, Alexei.

:slam: :jb:
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  42. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he signs a 2 year deal with the Sox for less $ annually.
  43. skottyj

Yeah; I don't think he's gone. They paid him a million bucks to become a free agent; they'll give him 14 for two so basically 15 mil for two and he'll be back.
  44. y2chae

y2chae Panda

If they give him 2 years $14 million, fuck this organization.
    Ziggy and sycked like this.
  45. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

There's really no point in bringing him back. They're not going to compete next year.

Spend the money on a long-term upgrade at 3B or C.
    Ziggy and Cheeses like this.
  46. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The deepest position in our below average farm system is middle infield, might as well try and figure out who is worth a damn in that bunch. Also I'd like to think even this front office has better ideas than bringing Alexei back for even 1 year, much less 2.
  47. Cheeses

Bringing Alexei back just screams :cud:
  48. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

I was thinking more like 2y/12m.
  49. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Saw the damn :slam: live

:jb:
  50. BeviBall