Kinsler to Detroit for Fatty????

Discussion in 'The Other 29' started by IWMB, Nov 20, 2013.

1. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

http://tracking.si.com/2013/11/20/tigers-rangers-agree-deal-prince-fielder/

:bullshit:

Really not happy they're potentially getting bailed out of the contract.
  2. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Yeah fuck that shit. Tigers need to be saddled with that shitty contract. WTF is Texas thinking?
    Cheeses likes this.
  3. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Texas is desperate for a big bat and they're probably not bringing back Cruz. The guy who took over for Nolan Ryan is apparently a Jerry Jones wannabe.
  4. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

can't imagine that detroit won't be sending any less than $5mm a year
  5. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Or maybe 1,000,000 Hot n' Readys. Though not on the same plane as Prince.
  6. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Looks like it's $4.2M. They'll save $76M over the length of the deal.

:maher:
  7. Quaye

i imagined wrong!

but i was kind of close!!!!

Kinsler's past his prime but goddamn did Detroit get blood from a stone on this
  8. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Great move by the Tigers selling high on Prince. Kinsler seems like he will fit right in
  9. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Fucking Detroit gets off the hook. Damn it.
    Cheeses likes this.
  10. Quaye

are they really? Kinsler is 70mm+30mm in salary sent with Fielder....for a player likely to decline almost as quickly as Fielder and isn't as valuable a player (debatably)

I might have the numbers wrong here though
    whitesox901 likes this.
  11. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...rade-prince-fielder-texas-rangers-ian-kinsler
    Quaye likes this.
  12. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

168-92=76

Just like I said :nod:
  13. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Fielder's potential to decline is huge. He plays bad defense, bat doesn't nearly justify the salary, and filled a position that should have a plus hitter if you are contending. Now they have the flexibility to move Miggy to first while keeping Martinez, or otherwise improve the team. Getting rid of him and freeing up a ton of cash just makes Detroit better down the line. Sucks they were able to pull this off.
  14. Quaye

Sure but Kinsler will be 32 and more than 1/3 of his value is tied up at defense at 2B. How'd Robbie Alomar's 30's go? Chas Utley? Etc
  15. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

I looked before I leapt. I thought Kinsler was a F/A at the end of 2014 for whatever reason.
  16. samram

samram Bon Vivant

If Detroit is looking for a way to spend some of their windfall and would like a 3B, Jeff Keppinger would be an excellent addition.
    Cheeses likes this.
  17. October

October Local Pessimist

So the Tigers just can fuck up with the worst contract ever and get off the hook. Looks like us Sox fans are blowing the wrong god.
  18. Quaye

there's another way to look at it, which is they went all in on fielder to win a world series and win a world series only. they did not achieve that and kinsler is probably a worse player going forward than fielder
  19. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

That's what I think as well. Fielder is declining sure, but eventually you can stick his fat ass at DH and still get some value. Kinsler is a guy who as Quaye said, brings a lot of value defensively. That defense will decline as he gets farther into his 30s. He's also .242/.312/.399 career away from the Ballpark in Arlington.
  20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

You just can't really look at it as a 1 for 1 deal. Is Kinsler + Max better for the team than Fatty? Yeah, I'd imagine that'd be the case for that team.
  21. Quaye

But you kind of can look at it as a 1 for 1 deal when comparing the team they had to the team they will have next year.

You're right that they probably don't re-sign Scherzer without this. But otoh they're going to overpay Scherzer by a factor of 2x-3x and be stuck with another shitty contract in 2 years
  22. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I mean, yeah, if we're only looking at next year than the Rangers definitely win.

But I don't care about next year, since my team and yours won't be any good. This looks like huge win for the 2016 Tigers which is really bad for the 2016 SOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  23. Quaye

i don't agree. fielder's contract will be bad in 2016 but so will kinser's and scherzer's
  24. Quaye

also, i should note that although the sox won't be worth a shit in 2014 i still have a vested interest in the tigers not winning the world series because: fuck them
    indianpalehosedsoxfan, Ziggy and IWMB like this.
  25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah Scherzer you would think will have a bad deal the moment he signs. Past season was his first all star caliber season, so you have to think he's not going to be a lock to post a sub 3 ERA each year.

Regardless he's probably going to get $20 million a year because that's what Cy Young winning pitchers get (and even those that don't win Cy Youngs) and I'd take the bet he doesn't performance at a $20 million a year level in past 2016.
  26. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Absolutely, but I think keeping the time frame in mind is important. If you look at 2016 which is probably the earliest the Sox could be really good again, the Tigers will still be hamstrung one way or another. Hell, Sanchez will still be making $16-$17M and I'm going to guess he won't be what he was in 2013.

And Verlander wasn't exactly lights out all season either and he's signed for like $25M+ for the next 30 years or so.
    Ziggy and Quaye like this.
  27. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

I never realized how huge and backloaded Verlander's deal was until this topic came up.

After making 20MM this year he's getting 28MM from 2015-2019.

Also according to MLBcontracts they're sending 6MM yearly to Texas from 2016-2020 for Fielder.
    Quaye likes this.
  28. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

It's a good thing the Tigers owner isn't filthy ri...oh. :frown:
  29. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

He's also very old (84 last July). If he dies I wonder how free-spending his heirs will be.
  30. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

84 isn't that old, cheeses is still going strong.
    Quaye likes this.
  31. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

:deadhorse:

Sent from my Trio Stealth_8 using Tapatalk 4
  32. Cheeses

The Tigers are owned by the family business corporation, though, and one of kids is the CEO, so I would assume they'd keep on with the program after he dies, so long as they have a good GM.
  33. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:mcnabb:

C'mon, :oldman: Cheeses jokes never get old.
    Quaye likes this.
  34. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

They're as old as Cheeses.

Sent from my Trio Stealth_8 using Tapatalk 4
  35. Cheeses

36. Quaye

cheeses old, news at 10
  37. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Better make that 4:30. The home has a strict lights out policy. Like Oz for fuddy duddies.
  38. Cheeses

39. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

40. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

He's going to die in that heat!
  41. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

And now Fielder's career is over

:deepsigh:
  42. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

I've already looked it up and have a link, but I too won't post it
    maurice likes this.
  43. Cheeses

44. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Retired with the same number of homers as his old man.