James Shields to Sox

Discussion in 'SOXual Healing' started by Pig, May 28, 2016.

1. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Got this notificaton:

The Chicago White Sox are reportedly in discussions to acquire veteran right-hander James Shields from the Padres, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune's Dennis Lin, who reports the discussions have "significant momentum."
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

:yeesh:

:yeesh: :yeesh:
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Dumb fucking trade if true
  4. Unregistered

I know you can never have too much pitching and all that, but how about a consistent bat and maybe a bullpen guy instead of a SP? Although I imagine Latos will likely get less and less reliable as the season goes on.
  5. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Should definitely address starting pitching before adding bats and bullpen help.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

Definitely would be a KW trade and it would demonstrate unquestionably that he's still in charge.
  7. samram

samram Bon Vivant

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...res-discussing-james-shields-trade-white-sox/

And this from Keith Law.

8. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching*

9. Unregistered

10. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Big Game James Shields would do wonders for this third place team.
  11. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:okay:
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

13. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

Sounds like they think Latos is turning into a pumpkin, as we have Sale, Q, Rodon and a serviceable 5th in Gonzalez.

I think they need some relief help as well.
  14. y2chae

y2chae Panda

It better be fucking E Johnson and like a B level prospect. Tim Anderson for a decent starter but one that's owned 21 million this year and the next 2? The 2.5 year $53 million left on his deal should devalue him away from Anderson or Fulmer.

Fuck this organization if they make that trade. I don't care if Anderson becomes Beckham, the trade at face value is dumb. Especially when your starting SS has a 0.3 WAR right now.
  15. sycked

James Shields "likely" to be traded in the next 24 hours. White Sox are considered the favorites.

unchballs:

Tim Anderson, we hardly knew ye?
  16. Unregistered

An insanely expensive 34 year old pitcher who just gave up 10 runs to the Mariners last week... Is just the thing this team needs to get it over the hump.

Sox shouldn't (and assumingly won't) have to give up Anderson—probably just some whatever prospects—since this might just be more of a salary dump with SD happy to get some other stupid team to cover the ~$60mm (minus whatever money they're sending over) owed to a mediocre old SP.
  17. BeviBall

The team that is hitting Shuck 5 and DHing Rollins today definitely needs the next Peavy.

:granny:
    Ziggy and maurice like this.
  18. Unregistered

9 hits in his last 2 games. AND getting rid of Sands (or Shuck)? Now this... I can slightly fap to.
  19. BeviBall

Shields deal agreed upon in principle per Hayes. Padres supposedly eating half the contract. No Anderson but most likely Tatis Jr.

:captivated:
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I'm fine with that. Tatis is like 5 years away. Getting Jay would be really good. Jackson can't hit for shit and is better as a 4th OF (Garbage!!!!)
  21. Unregistered

:waiting: for Jon Jay to be included.

Then :notbad:
    Cheeses likes this.
  22. October

October Local Pessimist

Shields sucks, wouldn't mind Jay. But Shields won't be better than Latos/Gonzalez/Rodon. Shields is Jake Peavy 2.0.
  23. Unregistered

Shields is probably better than Latos. And you don't want to mess with Rodon and send him to the pen, so I'm guessing Latos is the odd man out.

Pretty sure Shields is now the highest paid player on the team by a lot.
  24. BeviBall

Latos or Gonzo off to the pen and I hope it's Latos. I can see him becoming a problem child with that demotion though so earwax will move the better pitcher (Gonzo) there.

:fever:
    Ziggy and gbergman like this.
  25. Unregistered

Gonzalez has given up 10ER in his last 5 games, he shouldn't even be in this conversation. Guy is probably our #3 starter at the moment. They would send him to the pen.

Maybe they'll do the UNTHINKABLE and go with a 6-man rotaysh.
    maurice likes this.
  26. Unregistered

No Jay it appears. :angry:
  27. BeviBall

We're giving up nothing which is fine and as long as a bat, or bats, are still coming elsewhere, that's fine. Thing is Jay is solid defensively.
  28. Unregistered

Gave up nothing except a lot of money the team could use on actual impact players, as opposed to a 6th SP. But hey, I didn't like the trade from the first rumor so hopefully I'm wrong.
  29. October

October Local Pessimist

Erik Johnson will never be in a white sox uniform again and that alone is reason for me to like the trade more than I initially did.
  30. BeviBall

There's that $13MM in savings coming into play. Lots of players walk after the season so maybe if they don't shit their pants in June, that could signal more moves are coming sooner than later.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  31. Unregistered

He's signed through 2018. He can walk after the season, but no way is he making more than the $30mm or whatever he's owed, so he's not going anywhere. Hope he's good!
  32. BeviBall

Yep, saw he's signed through 2018 but paying $27MM for 3 years is pretty good if he's the same guy he was last year. In fact, it's terrific. I mean, you can't fault the guy for eating cock in SD since everyone does.
  33. sycked

Big Game James for the third place AL Central push.

:jb:
    Ziggy, October, whitesox901 and 6 others like this.
  34. Unregistered

You hope pitching is contagious and all that shit, so yeah, hopefully he looks at the other starters and goes "ok, no bitchassness."

35. BeviBall

Let's have a Hapsabout on the last week of season where we're battling with Cleveland for 3rd. We can reenact

:fever:
  36. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Tatis is a decent prospect but he's like 17 and no one can really predict how he will turn out. He could be a starter level quality or he could be shitty.

Johnson is an AAAA arm.
  37. sycked

Reminds me of acquiring Manny Ramirez a few years back with him taking his sweet ass time to report to the team.

Big difference here, though.
  38. BeviBall

Kind of worried about Shields' prevalence to give up the long ball but

:fuckit:

He won't be worse than Latos.
    rustysurf83 likes this.
  39. Unregistered

And $5MM this year and $10MM in 2017 and 2018 sounds a lot better when you break it down.
  40. Cheeses

Cheeses Do not be afraid to crush the cucks with your mind Cupcake Mod

That pube beard... :cmon:

upload_2016-6-4_16-36-44.png
    sycked likes this.
  41. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Paying only $5MM this year means plenty of LaDouche money left.
  42. gbergman

gbergman Legendary Drunken Youth

Padres need to dump Kemp and Melvin Upton too. They have the 9th highest payroll in baseball and field the shittiest of teams.
  43. Unregistered

I don't even think the Sox are stupid enough to take on Kemp's salary.

$21.5MM/year through 2019. Padres really do have some horrible contracts on that roster.
  44. gbergman

Thanks to AJ Preller. Idiot who thought he could trade himself into the playoffs. Look at all the teams that get good. They have great farm systems, and develop their players. Cubs, Royals, Astros, Giants, Nationals. Padres trade anyone away the second they get good.

Padres, and White Sox?
    :nope:
  45. Unregistered

And before that, Jed Hoyer got to do that cool thing where he left the Padres as GM and went to the Cubs as GM and immediately pantsed his old team for Anthony Rizzo.
    gbergman likes this.
  46. gbergman

Yea, he was part of that trade in which the Padres sent Adrian Gonzalez to Boston for four minor leaguers. Rizzo was traded for Andrew Cashner, who is a good pitcher but Rizzo is the perfect power bat the Padres need at Petco Park. Padres are a farm system for the rest of the major leagues.
  47. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Fuck the Padres and A's, so shitty the Flubs have Rizzo and Russell.
  48. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

Pretty much a full retard move to make a deal with a guy who just left your team like the Padres did. The A's trade made at least a little sense.
  49. Unregistered

Hoyer probably did that whole "look, between us, you guys are getting the better deal here! We know Rizzo sucks!" thing to the Padres too, and they fell for it like the hayseeds they are.
  50. BeviBall

Big fucking surprise: Robin is moving Gonzo to the pen.

:earwax:

:shocker:
    Cheeses likes this.