I like beer

Discussion in 'Alehose' started by Timmy, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I wonder why it is so hard to get a decent craft beer market going down here. Is it that the state has stacked the laws against independent brewers or is it just that Texas beer drinkers are too daft to step out of the mainstream of macros and the 2 or 3 big Texas breweries (Rahr, Shiner, Lone Star)?
  2. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

I think it’s the fact that the average craft brewery in this area isn’t that good
    maurice likes this.
  3. Fuller

Clearly, you have never been to a BJ's Brewhouse. (11 locations! Now in Euless!)
  4. Cheeses

Cheeses Nice game, pretty boy Cupcake Mod

Plenty of local micros on tap when I was in Austin.

:shrug:
  5. Fuller

I'm sure they have a vibrant craft scene down there.
  6. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Waco has a better craft scene than Dallas, at least in terms of distro. How is that remotely possible?
  7. Cheeses

There were plenty of options for breweries for me to try, but we had plans for almost every meal, so just stuck with going to a few bars during our downtime.

St. Roch's Bar, Shangri-La, and the Brixton were plenty fine.
    Fuller likes this.
  8. Quaye

I mean, if it’s still open it is probably not as shitty as the ones that are closed. Not guaranteed to be better....but odds are...
  9. Quaye

But in any case that sounds like a cool place to check out! Thanks for the recommendation!
  10. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I still don't understand how some of the breweries in Chicago still stay in business. Like Finch, who I don't think have ever brewed a good beer. Even some of the above average ones, it's just so saturated, a person like me goes to a bar/store and if I want a craft brew I probably stick with what I know in the big names- Revolution, Half Acre, 3 Floyds, Goose, etc. Not to mention the big names of out of state that I would Just would be really rare for me to go to the store and buy some Burnt City or something similar.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  11. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I drank my way around Colorado over Christmas Break. 'Twas fun.
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Industry connections and/or deep pocket daddies.
  13. Cheeses

I’ve always wondered if there is any money in running a small craft brewery. I’d be Rev does just fine, but they are now pretty massive. But a Mars or On Tour?
  14. chops

chops never met prope

On Tour doesn't accept cash.

:hulk:
  15. Cheeses

Btw I think you owe me 1 beer from On Tour. And I think 2 other shitheads from the board put their beers on my tab.

:hulk:
  16. chops

chops never met prope

17. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I would think standard operating procedure is to always put beers on Cheeses tab and then sneak out.
    Deuce and chops like this.
  18. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

19. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Marz isn't making any money yet, because they're pouring it into their new brewpub.

They should do fine after it opens, assuming they can get anybody to go to such an odd location.
  20. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

And not a single pastry stout. Unsustainable.
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Still on the shelf at multiple WF locations.
  22. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Peak BCBS for sure. Lots at the megastore on Belmont/Lincoln/Ashland at $11.99 per. Can’t imagine how long some of these sleazy liquor stores that want several dollars more than MSRP will have these. Nearest liquor store where I live looks like it hasn’t moved a single bottle at $17.
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Thursday starts at 2pm. Probably too early for anybody but me, Deuce, and Bevi, but I'll probably go.

Friday tapping schedule still TBD for some RF reason. I'll pass on that if it starts too late.
  24. sycked

Did you RFs show? I can either proceed home or go there.
  25. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Can't do today but in for tomorrow after work if I don't get crunk at On Tour.
  26. sycked

Opted to hit up the Bell then home. RIP
    BeviBall and Cheeses like this.
  27. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Mr. Bullshit Suburb

Tried Cigar City's Jai Alai White Oak the other day. :shrug:
  28. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Jackie's back?

:badger:
    chops likes this.
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Going tonight after basketball, because fuck walking in the rain.

I'm off tomorrow and can go back to Haymarket for lunch and/or to Dusek's for BCBS covfefe haps.
  30. Jackie Treehorn

The White Oak Jai Alai was fucking tremendous.
  31. Jackie Treehorn

Tried this local brew called Crooked Thumb's really drinkable for being 7.5abv and really good IPA called Shade Tree, so many breweries popping up in the Tampa Bay Area, so much for the unsustainabilty of craft beer though.
  32. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

There's some big Goose Island taping at Empire in Naperville this Thursday. They're tapping all of the different variants of BCBS. 8 ounce pours ranging from $15-25. I can't imagine they'll be getting a lot of people to come for those prices.