*Game 111 - O's @ Human Pieces of Excrement - CSN Now*

Discussion in 'Game Day' started by BeviBall, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Shields 1.1 IP 8 ER

Way to sell high at the deadline, Hahn you :tyler:
    Cheeses likes this.
  2. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

Honestly don't think there was a market, about a week before the deadline some stat geek on 670 was spewing on how Shields advanced stats during his hot streak were no different from the beginning of the year and his start with the Sox, basically he said he was going thru a lucky streak and was gonna regress back
  3. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Supposedly a Shields for Puig offer was on the table but the Sox were not interested
  4. Retarded Ox

Yeah I heard that but nobody has confirmed it which leads me to believe it was a bunch of bullshit
  5. BeviBall

If it sounds retarded from a SOX perspective, I always believe it until proven otherwise.
  6. Retarded Ox

7. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Manny Machado with 3 HRs and 7 RBIs in three innings? Holy lol
  8. Cheeses

Cheeses Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors Cupcake Mod

Hope Mo is enjoying his free tickets.

:homerlaff:
  9. BeviBall

10. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

You're all insane. If there was any market for Shields that didn't include the Sox basically paying his entire salary for the next 3 years to pitch for someone else, they would have jumped at it. GMs aren't retarded though, unfortunately, so I'm sure they barely had interest in a rather awful contract for a pitcher on the wrong side of 30 who seemed to have declined greatly this season.

Let's at least be reasonable when talking about how Hahn didn't do anything at the deadline. They would have loved to get rid of guys like this especially.
  11. BeviBall

Thanks for your hot take, Brooks.
    CaptainBallz and y2chae like this.
  12. Unregistered

Yes, yes... So much easier to be outraged that they didn't actually pull the trigger on the deal that wiped all that money off the books and got a possibly valuable bat back in the process than to think that maybe that deal didn't actually exist.
  13. Retarded Ox

Just ignore my posts, don't group this retard with the other retards JEANS!!!
  14. y2chae

y2chae Panda

When bums like Andrew Cashner and Wade Miley were being traded there was certainly a market for Shields. The Puig thing makes sense because they clearly have no more use for him and Shields at $28 million for 3 years is nothing to the Dodgers. If the Sox chip in $8 million to make it a even $20 million the cost is so low in 2016 salaries it's not even worth mentioning. Especially the Dodgers who just need to find someone healthy to pitch and Urias is almost certainly on an IP limit.

No saying they get anything more back than a relief pitcher or maybe some utility IF type but hey it makes more sense than having James Shields on the roster for 2017.
  15. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

If there was even as much as a call on Shields that didn't involve paying the entire salary I would've jumped, even if for a low A guy. We heard there was activity on Shields while we don't have confirmation there was smoke... Was it White Sox created smoke? Who knows but there was something there.
  16. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

This team is literally too stupid to trade him. They think they've got a good deal on a 3/4 for the next 2 years.
  17. Cheeses

18. Unregistered

I don't believe that. I think the only teams willing to take a flier on him wanted the Sox to pay most/all of the way. Which they don't do.

Cheap? Yes. So stupid that they insist on keeping a quickly declining pitcher who they don't really have any attachment to, that's still guaranteed $42 mm for the next 2 years? Doubtful.
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

How many fucking times do we have to explain that the Sox only are on the hook for the remaining $28 million? If you knock off $7 to 10 million the money is almost nothing to a MLB team.
  20. Unregistered

Yes dude, got it. Not sure why you think I'm confused about that. Fine, it's not all their money - that's still his total salary. And now you're still asking a team to take money off your hands for an over the hill SP who isn't very good any more. Why you think teams were throwing offers at the Sox left and right for a shitty pitcher SD couldn't wait to get off their books is beyond me. They probably low balled the shit out of every offer, like the Sox pay all but $1million of his contract or something and they told they to get fucked out of cheapness. That's always been their policy: don't pay players to play for other teams.
  21. Cheeses

22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

They paid John Danks and Keppinger to go away because they were shitty, that was about $20 million in dead money. They wouldn't be willing to send over $10 million with Shields to another team?

No IWMB is right, they legit thought they had something in Shields that he would provide value to a 2017 team because the team is run by a bunch of stupid fucks. The fact they didn't even trade Gonzo, Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Melky, Frazier- extra assets not needed on a team going nowhere proves they think have some sort of talent collection that shouldn't be broken up unless they got some crazy offer.

Because we now know they basically could've said the Duke deal was not a sell off, because they planned to play Tilson right away. If they had started selling off players like Shields for some low A pitcher or whatever, you couldn't spin that at selling off. And the reason it didn't happen is because the Sox weren't interested in being sellers. Should've taken whatever deal they could've for those players, they serve no purpose on a 2017 Sox team. Of course the FO doesn't realize that, they think they can compete in 2017.
    whitesox901 and FedEx like this.
  23. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

Sox also paid most of Durham and Linestink's contracts to play on other teams.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.