Footy 16/17

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by IWMB, Aug 12, 2016.

1. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

No one gives a shit about the MLS anyways it appears. Looking at the TV ratings that I can find, a lot more people would rather watch a bunch of teams that they couldn't point to on a map from Liga MX, EPL, and the Champions league. Obviously Liga MX slays in Spanish, but more people care about a bunch of English teams than their local MLS team.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Well, the competition is better. I don't watch MLS for the same reason I don't watch college sports.
  3. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

As more and more parents are keeping their kids out of football, you could probably expect a talent spike.
  4. rustysurf83

This is very true. Soccer in the US just needs to hold on about ten years until football dives off a cliff. Helps that the NFL has become a shit product as well. Only problem comes back to what someone mentioned earlier. A lot of people have a hard time buying in to a non-local team and the MLS isn't great to watch. I don't know if a lot of Americans really care about technical and tactical proficiency but the gap between the MLS and other major leagues isn't close. Figures, last I saw MLS came in at #22 in median player salary.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yes MLS ratings nationally are terrible. But if the reason then to add pro and rel to MLS is to "increase player development" I would say that is "pretty stupid".
  6. rustysurf83

Trying to watch the MLS again. At least this time the game wasn't delayed for an hour...
  7. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

The playoff format is a joke. Very tough on the higher seed having to go on the road 1st and get a result. Aways goals is a dated concept and should abolished from any format using it.

They would be better off with a 3 game series. No extra time until the 3rd game if necessary, just W-L-D and if you win the 1st 2 it's over. Let the higher seeds actually have an advantage.
  8. y2chae

y2chae Panda

You saying the higher seeds get the first 2 games at home?
  9. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

No, alternating each game. Higher seed gets 1 & 3.
  10. rustysurf83

The home and home does seem dumb. It is shit either way for the higher seed and increases the likelihood that penalty kicks will decide the winner which is just as dumb as shootouts in hockey.
  11. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Would be a good idea, just have 4 in each conference make the playoffs and do a best of 3 for the conference semis and finals, since doing best of 3's with 6 teams per conference would make the playoffs crazy long. This 6 in each conference is dumb.
  12. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Oh yeah, the play in round is never going away, so this would start after the single games for 3 through 6.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

MLS is raising its expansion fee to $150 million. Plus new teams are to have a soccer specific stadium and youth development program. That could be close to a $500 million investment. But yeah, league should totally have pro/rel... I'm sure that'll attract investors
  14. SABRSox

Investors... who cares?

I'd rather see supporters clubs build themselves up than watch Richie Rich's try and fleece local municipalities into building them stadiums so they can have a soccer team.

Pro/Rel would probably be better for taxpayers, as well as US soccer.

Also, compete on the same schedule as Europe.
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah supporters clubs with zero budget are going to fund growth in US Soccer.

:sleeping:
  16. SABRSox

:shrug:

I'd rather see AFC Wimbledons than I would the bullshit that is currently happening in St. Louis re: MLS.
  17. y2chae

y2chae Panda

AFC Wimbeldon also operates on a much smaller budget than a typical MLS franchise. Throwing money into the game will attract fans. And I don't mean attracting "retirement league" players, I mean shift the focus more towards getting quality players in their prime like Giovinco, Lodeiro or what Atlanta has done before their first game, beating out Arsenal to get Almiron and now about to sign Oscar Romero. You can't get these players to come by funding clubs through supporters groups.
  18. SABRSox

I'm more interested in building up local academies, and I think it's good that MLS is requiring them. However, the soccer-specific stadium thing is fucking nauseating. We don't need to keep pouring public money to benefit the rich. That's horseshit, and I'd rather let smaller clubs try and do it on their own and see if they can succeed, than let some rich asshole fleece a city, and pass on the franchise cost to taxpayers.
  19. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I think we all can agree that taxpayer paid stadiums are bad in any sport.

But cut the hipster Euro supporter club nonsense.
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yes, taxpayer funded or any public funding for private use stadiums is garbage. I don't see what that has to do with pro/rel though. Are MLS teams going to play in college soccer facilities? That won't draw fans.
  21. SABRSox

Ok, but how do you expect teams to pay $150m franchise fee, plus build their own stadiums, without public assistance?

At least with Pro/Rel, some small local clubs could, in theory, make it work locally, get good and win, and then maybe make it work in a bigger league. Likely? Probably not, but who knows? Why lock them out?
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What scrappy low budget team is having continued success at the Premier League level?
  23. SABRSox

It's hard to argue that there are any low-budget teams in the EPL now with their lucrative TV deal.
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

25. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Arsenal's yearly swoon? :thinking:
  26. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Season

:flush:
  27. SABRSox

Arsenal v Bayern. So, like, 3-nil to the Arsenal?
  28. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

29. SABRSox

This year's CLF is in Cardiff? Interesting.
  30. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

At a standing desk pretending to work. Have to leave at 3 to pick up BULLS tickets, though, so will miss some.
  31. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Fox Sports streaming is so fucking bad.
  32. y2chae

y2chae Panda

IWMB going to watch a shitty Bulls team?

:faint:
  33. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

IWMB going to watch thug NBAball?

whitesox901 likes this.
  34. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

IWMB has a 4th date with a girl?

maurice likes this.
  35. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Anyway, Bayern are on the board

:fin:
  36. SABRSox

Yeah, that didn't take long.
  37. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

PENALTY ARSENAL

38. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:goal:

Alexis on his own rebound. 1-1
    :yes:
  39. SABRSox

Alexis is such shit at penalties.
  40. SABRSox

Anyway, very important away goal.
  41. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:larussa:

Good counter, but right into Neuer.
  42. SABRSox

Kinda wish you had Jack Wilshire there for that one.
  43. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Well that escalated quickly.
  44. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Ok, time to shut this shit off.

Good thing I don't really give a shit about this season (or team altogether anymore).
  45. SABRSox

Yikes... I just don't get what Arsenal were trying to do in this game. If you are going to sit deep, you need to make tackles. They didn't do that.

And Gabriel is just trash. Team completely changed when Kos was taken off.
  46. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

this calls for an avatar change!

:shithead:
    zmz likes this.
  47. Cheeses

Cheeses Involuntary Immigrant Cupcake Mod

Hey, it's not everyday that you read a headline involving a 23-stone man eating a meat pie while tending goal.
  48. SABRSox

He wasn't tending goal. He was the backup keeper (never gonna play) and he only ate the pie because some betting website had put a bet on if he would or not. Now he's being investigated by the Football Association.
  49. y2chae

y2chae Panda

He quit the team to avoid the investigation
  50. SABRSox

Well that says it all, eh?