Footy 16/17

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by IWMB, Aug 12, 2016.

1. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Prem kicks off tomorrow

:anus:
  2. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

3. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

4. y2chae

y2chae Panda

American Lynden Gooch appears to be Sunderlands first choice left winger/forward as he makes his PL debut with a start.
    Deuce likes this.
  5. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

6. BeviBall

Double post for Pulisic

:larussa:
  7. BeviBall

8. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Been half hoping for a draw...no way I can swing Columbus in November.
  9. BeviBall

10. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Well, they sure made that look easy.
  11. BeviBall

12. BeviBall

13. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

14. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Cato Institute Shill

Pulisic is gonna be a beast
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Landycakes coming out of retirement?
  16. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

17. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Couldn't stand not being the center of attention in American soccer?
  18. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Now that I think about it, I'm actually very surprised that this is allowed. You'd think MLS would have a deadline that a player needs to be added by in order to play in the playoffs. What's to stop someone on a free from coming aboard in November in the middle of them?
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The deadline is in a week or so
  20. rustysurf83

How the fuck does Klinsmann still have a fucking job? Who the fuck just rolls with a new formation against Mexico at home in the first game of World Cup Qualifying? Maybe you should have tried out a 3-5-2 in one of the friendlies dickhead...Also, no need to be concerned about the far post on corner kicks.
  21. BeviBall

CRC strikes at the end of the half. Team sux.
  22. BeviBall

4-0 Ticos. Good fucking grief.
  23. SABRSox

LOL USMNT. Joel Campbell out there clownin' guys.
  24. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Klinsmann needs to go
  25. rustysurf83

Fire Klinsmann. If he doesn't get fire tomorrow, then fire Gulati. Find another GK, there's no fucking way Guzan is the best available in Howard's absence. Someone else should at least get a shot. The team fucking quit. Take the armband from Bradley, not even sure if he should be in the XI at this point. Meanwhile, rumint is that if JK is fired, they are going to re-hire BRUCE FUCKING ARENA!

:gfy:

I'm going to start rooting for Ghana or some shit.
  26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Mid cycle like this and in the middle of club season you aren't going to have good options available. Arena is fine as a stop gap
  27. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

28. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Was busy last night and am just getting to the highlights. I actually don't think Guzan was too bad, other than the 2nd one he got a hand on. That said, he needs to find somewhere to play in January. Unacceptable for the US #1 to be sitting on a bench, I'd rather have him playing 90 minutes a week in League 1, FFS. Howard never starts vs. Mexico if Guzan had been playing.

Overall, I'm definitely concerned but not ready to panic. Still have 7 'winnable' games left, and historically it only takes 13.2 points to get 4th.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Guzan is barely on the list of problems. As IWMB says, the problem is a starting international goalie should not be sitting on the bench for his club. At least not of a team of our caliber. The Hex format is so forgiving there is no reason to panic either it's just that these two results combined back to back like this are unacceptable.

Marcelo Bielsa is out of a job... but he's more of a guy you hand the reigns to at the start of a cycle to transform the team, it's much harder to do it mid cycle when you need results ASAP. Still, wouldn't be a bad hire.
  30. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The 4th place Hex team gets Asia's 5th place team which is likely to be Uzbekistan, Jordan, Qatar, Iran, Iraq... some Middle Eastern country that isn't good

Mexico won 2 out of 10 games for 2014 and got 4th place... :laff:
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Klinsmann fired.

Probably getting Bruce Arena though.

Still better than this shit show.
  32. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:faint:

Can't believe it actually happened.
  33. BeviBall

34. SABRSox

Bruce Arena would be the worst choice we could make.

I say we get some crazy Italian in here.
  35. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Whoever they get is going to be a stop gap. No one of value is coming aboard 3/5ths into the cycle.
  36. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Great idea sabr, hire "some crazy Italian"

Arena is here to get us to 2018 and unless he gets us to the semi finals he's not staying on.

The only notable international managers available right now are Biesla who I think is great, but he has crazy tactics and he's a hire you make at the start of a cycle not in the middle when you need results ASAP. There is Hiddink who used to be pretty good but his past couple international jobs have indicated he's not a good manager anymore. Arena is the safe and correct choice to make at this time.
  37. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Whomever the next new coach is going to be, is it more likely that he's had success in the international leagues right? It's not going to be an American?
  38. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

No. It's going to be Bruce Arena, an American, who led the US from 98-06 and has managed LA Galaxy since 08. He's a stopgap.

To put it into context, this is a baseball team changing managers in mid July. The international soccer "season" is a 4 year cycle. No one good is available at the moment. After the World Cup in 2018, they'll then find the next legit guy.
    Prope likes this.
  39. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The coach post 2018 could be anyone. Job will be appealing. A lot of resources, decent talent pool, much less pressure than coaching a big European team and pays well.
  40. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Spurs go down to Monaco in the 48th minute. Tie it on a PK 4 minutes later.

Then give up a goal a minute later

:biglaff:

They're out of the UCL if this holds.
  41. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I guess I should have said that I meant post 2018 World Cup.
  42. SABRSox

Arena is fine so long as you tell him straight up that he's fucking fired after the World Cup, regardless of how the team performs.

If they extend him beyond that, and it would not shock me if Gulati does, because he totally sucks, then this was a terrible decision.

I want my crazy Italian because I want managers who will call out the MLS for being what it is, a backwards, investment protecting scheme rather than a league that can produce the proper competition, or the proper structure that can produce international level players from home-grown club organizations. This pay-to-play youth system, or the college system afterwards, coupled with the crap wage structure MLS pursues, along with flat out refusal to have relegation for shit organizations, does not help the US compete against European and South American talent, both on the field and off.
  43. y2chae

y2chae Panda

So much derp in this post. First of all, name a candidate you want instead of saying "crazy Italian". Just saying "crazy Italian" sounds like you don't know who you actually want as the head coach and instead are prepared to bash any American that gets the job. Me and IWMB have repeated stated that Arena is a stop gap. There is no reason to believe he will coach the team past 2018 at this point.

As for home grown players... Matt Miazga was brought up through the NYRB system, has 2 senior caps, got a transfer to Chelsea at age 21 and has already played in 2 league matches with them. He's on loan at Vitesse and doing pretty well. Jordan Morris is a homegrown player who has 12 caps and turned down a chance to join Werder Bremen. Kellyn Acosta is 21 years old, has 4 caps, could be a mainstay in the national team in the future. Gyasi Zardes 31 caps. Erik Palmer-Brown is a 19 year old that was brought up in the KC academy and is on loan to Porto and playing for their reserve team. Juan Agudelo, another Red Bull product who has 21 caps and is still relatively young. The US system has and will continue to produce players.

The pay to play system is dumb and backwards but US soccer is moving away from it for the most part. Most MLS team academies are affordable so that talent doesn't slip through. It's getting to the point where teams like FC Dallas, who have a good academy are losing prospects to Europe because they don't have a reserve team because they can't offer competitive play. Winston McKinnie just joined Schalke

Me and IWMB have routinely explained why pro and rel is not viable in America and having pro and rel won't actually improve player development. If they let the Charleston Battery into MLS are they going to all of a sudden produce better talent? No.
  44. SABRSox

US Soccer needs a fucking reality check. With all the athletic talent in this country, there is zero reason why the US shouldn't be a powerhouse internationally.

Sure, soccer isn't the most popular sport in the US, but that's changing. However, other sports are still better options for young athletes. It is entirely possible for even a minor league baseball player to out-earn an MLS professional. Why would you choose soccer in those circumstances? The wage structure has to change in order for better athletes to choose the sport.

As for relegation, I really do believe that if the leagues were competitive in terms of place and standing, you'd see clubs get more creative and more willing to do the investments in feeder programs and reserve clubs that are necessary to stay up in the top league, and that inevitably produces better players at the end of the day. When you let shitty teams languish at the bottom of the league forever, they have no incentive to do that. Maybe the Charleston Battery have a kickass academy program that allows them produce players to win the NASL. Why shouldn't they be allowed to see what happens with an MLS promotion? It would certainly be more interesting to see them, than to see what toxic waste the Chicago Fire trot out next year.

As for the "crazy Italian," yeah, he's not anyone specific. I don't really know who the US should hire. Like you said, it's mid-cycle and you can't really get anyone who isn't a caretaker right now. But I have noticed in the past, that MLS, and Gulati, really didn't like it when Jurgen flat out told them that the US could never compete when an owners cabal ran a league that is seen, internationally, as a retirement home for aged players at best, and a joke at worst. Two Italian coaches now have refused to cap any players from MLS, as the competition is not up to the quality required for international soccer. They are not wrong.

Jurgen may have, tactically, been a terrible manager. And he also had a horrible habit for throwing his players under the bus after matches. But he was absolutely correct about the failings of US professional soccer. So you have a dilemma... either all our international players go abroad to Europe to ply their trade and play at the level required for World Cup football, or you fix the MLS so they don't have to, and you try to grow the game in the US that way. I suppose the third option is to do what Swansea's new ownership is doing, and basically take an American-ish team over to the Premiere League, but those are some really high stakes.
  45. y2chae

y2chae Panda

What athletes is soccer losing that they could've had if MLS pays more? I'm sure that number is greater than 0 but I don't think we're losing dozens of athletes to football, baseball or basketball. Some inner city kid in Chicago, New York, Miami, Baltimore, Houston, etc. probably decides to play basketball because that's just the sport everyone in those areas plays. If you want to criticize US Soccer for not setting up academies and camps in those areas to attract players that aren't seen as "suburban white kids with money", then fine. It has little to do with MLS pay structure though, when MLS is paying top US internationals a lot more money than European clubs were willing to give them. That's the only reason Bradley, Bedoya, Altidore, Dempsey are even in MLS right now, because they are getting more money per year than any European team was willing to give them.

Minor league baseball players do not out earn MLS players, at least not anymore. The MLS minimum is now $51k. A player playing AAA ball makes $2700 a month if they are in third year of AAA ball. If you are on the 40 man but do not have any MLB service time, you make in the low $40k's.

As for why MLS has a strict salary cap and doesn't have pro and rel, well they want the league to remain viable and not fold like the previous NASL.

I'm not saying MLS has it's problems. It does, but Jurgen's strategy of just blaming MLS and it's lower standard of play failed. USA went to the quarterfinals in 2002 with a roster of mostly MLS players, in an era where the league was considerably weaker than it is today.
  46. SABRSox

I was accounting for signing bonuses in minor league salaries, but the majority of minor leaguers never get bonuses... that pay level is shameful otherwise.

The NASL stuff... I feel like that's just an excuse to continue the MLS structure. It made sense to do that when it was basically AEG and Lamar Hunt owning all of the teams, but at this point, they can break up the central structure and start running like proper sports organizations. Most stadium situations are settled, the teams seems to be viable and turning profits, so why not open it up? They don't have to go nuts all at once, but at some point they need to abandon the investor structure.
  47. rustysurf83

http://midfieldpress.com/wp-content...ess-Group-Silva-Summary-Document-091116-1.pdf

Pro/Rel would not be a bad thing for US Soccer, contrary to what MLS would like you to believe. The youth system is largely broken, and although the fully funded Development Academy teams are a step in the right direction, a large portion of your player pool doesn't live close enough to a large population to make it realistically feasible. There is also a stark difference between American and European cultures that preclude a model based off of their Academy systems from working. People in the US aren't willing to treat youth players like commodities in the manner that the Ajax, Barca, Bayern do. Why would you when the ultimate payoff for a select few is probably making $100k in the MLS, and $40k in NASL is more likely for the majority? The expansion of Development Academy to the girls' side is an illustration of how out of touch USSF is with the youth system as a whole. Most won't be fully (or partially) funded, it further dilutes talent, precludes participation in any other activities, and increases travel requirements. All so Sally the soccer player can get a leg up to make $30k in the NWSL. Realistically, I think the US has to pray that Pulisic can become a superstar, actually win something, and start to create a South/Central American like soccer culture.
  48. y2chae

y2chae Panda

That report was commissioned by the owner of Miami FC so it's a wank report and lacks credibility. IWMB has brought this up many times, good luck in getting anyone to give a shit about MLS if LA and New York have no teams in the top tier and instead the league has teams in San Antonio, St Louis, Carolina and Jacksonville. American soccer culture is not European soccer culture.

That said, yes the youth system needs improvement. The reason the USSF is expanding the DA to girls is because they don't want to seem sexist especially with this labor disagreement with the USWNT and they see the USWNT as a cash cow so they want to continue developing talent. Not saying they are making the right call, but that's the reasoning. As for US men's development, we currently have the deepest talent pool in USMNT history so it's not like we're taking a step backwards. Globalization has helped with all the German born players but there are many American born and raised youngsters playing in top European youth teams, or even getting first team minutes like Pulisic or Gooch.
  49. rustysurf83

:rolling: :rolling: Decided I would try and watch an MLS game. Penalty area lines in the Toronto/Montreal Conference fucking Finals are all fucked up. :rolling: :rolling: Game currently delayed while they repaint the field.
    :maher: MLS, going to watch CL on the DVR instead.
  50. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Playing on that turf is a joke too