Courtney Hawkins

Discussion in 'Trolling for Minors' started by MVP, Aug 24, 2012.

1. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

34 k's in 51 at-bats now.
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

He can step right in and be the Sox' new K leader when Dunn is finally off the team. Perfect!
  3. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Really awesome to see our player development is lockstep with our major league team.

.157/.228/.451 in A+ :suicide:
  4. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Don't forget the strikeouts.
  5. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Phil Rogers was on Mully & Hanley today and said he got a report that Hawkins hadn't taken a pitch in something like4-5 games.
  6. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

7. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Boy is my face red.
  8. Pig

Pig I Am The One Who Locks Cupcake Mod

Are Hawkins and Dunn on the same shitty new swing-only approach that fucks up prior successes?

Sounds about par for the franchise.
  9. Nuschler Face

Nuschler Face RKMeibalane

Not good. When I hear about things like this, I wonder who's being held accountable for such a poor approach. Obviously, Hawkins can decide for himself if and when he wants to swing the bat, but who is giving him instructions on how he should approach his at-bats? With the exception of 2005, the Sox have relied on the "home run or nothing" approach dating back to Jerry Manuel's time with the team, and they don't seem to be interested in finding another approach. If similar tactics are being taught and used in the minor leagues, the Sox are in bigger trouble than they realize.
  10. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I think we should make a distinction between home run or nothing and let's just swing at everything as hard as we can and never take walks.
  11. Unregistered

That's true. If we had a bunch of 40HR guys with tons of K's that would be one thing. Instead it's just guys with tons of K's. Juan Uribe may have had more influence on this organization than anybody realized. When all else fails, swing as hard as you can.
  12. Nuschler Face

I'm not sure if I see a difference, although your suggested approach implies that one could swing hard and miss, never making any sort of contact, including home runs.
  13. Nuschler Face

White Sox Baseball: They Looked Like They Were Trying
  14. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I honestly don't even care about the Ks. K all you want, but jesus christ take a walk every so often.
  15. Nuschler Face

Walking requires both knowledge of the strike zone and at least a small amount of patience. Sox hitters have neither, which again raises questions about the philosophy of hitting that's taught in their organization.
  16. spiffie

spiffie Got his zipper stuck

Being selective about pitches, swinging very hard and often missing, but hitting a lot of 2B/HR is good. Even with 200 K's.

Swinging at everything, often missing, and hitting very few XBH is bad. No matter how many K's.
  17. zmz

Mark Gonzales@MDGonzales
    19s

OF Courtney Hawkins, Sox's 1st pick in 2012 draft, has left rotator cuff and biceps muscle strain. Hopes to return in 3-4 weeks.

:greatjob:
  18. samram

samram Bon Vivant

This here season has just a been a huge leap forward for the organization.
  19. Unregistered

WELCOME RICK HAHN!

Man, KW has to feel like a fucking king. Probably banging some bar skank he met at some AA game right now.
  20. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Hahn must be thinking "How many straight drafts do I have to come up completely empty in to get that job?"
  21. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah KW didn't do Hahn many favors outside of Sale and maybe Santiago.

Hopefully Hahn's philosophy is building the farm system. I can't imagine what Buddy Bell brings to the team. He has to be one of those old school baseball guys that preaches bunts, steals and TWTW.

I just don't think it's a coincidence when he was running the farm system, the Sox couldn't produce a position player that could hit (or even work a count) worth a damn.
  22. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

2 homers tonight.

3 since he came off the DL the other day.
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

0-5 with 5 Ks yesterday.

Now 68 Ks (and 12 HR!) in only 130 ABs.
  24. Unregistered

25. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Future's bright, boys! ​
  26. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

27. zmz

28. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

29. Unregistered

He'll slide right into Dunn's place as the woefully low batting average HR hitter. WHITE SOX TRADITIONS
  30. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Adam Done replacement in 2-3 years?
  31. AnthraxFan93

1.5 years.. Dunn contract up 2014.
  32. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

Mark Kotsay will serve as the bridge between the two. That or DeWayne Wise.
  33. AnthraxFan93

I didn't mind the idea of Kotsay; just not the player.. One of the faults of Ozzie's tenure..

I was watching a ST game with the Angels and the Sox.. the anncouncers made a comment..

"You know the only time it seems in recent years Wise is on MLB club it's with the White Sox."
  34. Unregistered

They must have forgotten that glorious June of 2012 when he was tearing it up in the Bronx.
  35. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

:suicide:
  36. Pig

So we could have had Sale AND Trout?

*WSI explodes*
  37. AnthraxFan93

No Kenny would have traded away Trout; I heard (enter player who was in his prime in the late 90s) is on rader.
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/minor-league-roundup-hawkins-is-starting-fresh-video/

Article is about Hawkins and Tim Anderson's good starts to the season. The future looks bright. Abreu, Erik Johnson, Semien will be contributors at the MLB level. Davidson, Webb and Micah Johnson look to be on that path. Anderson, Hawkins, Thompson, Beck, May and Danish are all promising prospects.
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Hawkins looks to be back. Anderson looks to be not a SS; he has 5 errors in 5 games.

Pretty much all of the legit position prospects the Sox have developed are OF or 2B.
  40. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Perhaps Anderson can convert to 3B, although Davidson is blocking him there. Not a bad problem to have though if Davidson and Micah Johnson pan out and there isn't a spot for Anderson, can always use him as a trading chip
  41. Unregistered

Sounds about right. SOX!
  42. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

4 errors today alone, making 16 on the season. Hawkins is doing well, however.
  43. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Final season stats: .249, 19 HR, 84 RBI, 53 BB, 143 K, 11 SB.

Not spectacular, but a hell of a lot better than his 2013 at the same level.
    RBI total was tops in the Carolina League, and HR total was second.
  44. Pig

He's only 20, so I would think 2014 is more indicative of what he will eventually be capable of. Last year was a mess so this is a lot more encouraging. :thumbsup: