College Basketball 16/17

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by IWMB, Sep 27, 2016.

1. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

And UNCWs coach is now NC State's coach.
  2. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Fighting zmz's up 2 at half

:nervous:
  3. BeviBall

Put it here too. Illinois got an absolute steal with Underwood. 10x the coach I thought they'd end up with.
  4. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

:wipehands: for life, my nigga.
    Deuce likes this.
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Whitman is probably the best AD they've had since the 80's
  6. whitesox901

Was Illinois in the tournament?

EDIT: Nevermind, I understand now.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

Hadn't seen his name pop up at all until a buddy texted me about some private jet flights last night. Short of Marshall - who as others have noted likely wouldn't have taken it - this is about as good as I could expect. Little uncertain on the recruiting front, but can't argue with his head coaching record to date.

Whitman doing a really nice job. Especially considering what he walked into.
  8. BeviBall

Both coaches in tonight's 4A final "haven't heard of him." Fucking guys.

He's a slightly older Self. He will win here.
  9. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

[​IMG]

Edit and
    :tagit:
    Deuce and Cheeses like this.
  10. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Kid is a :fagot:
    zmz, IWMB and Cheeses like this.
  11. Cheeses

Cheeses Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors Cupcake Mod

Tag title:

fagot2?
    gaygentleman?
    getagripfagot?
  12. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:rfjr:

:thisissobad:
    y2chae likes this.
  13. whitesox901

Go Northwestern win that gayme.
  14. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

:minizoso:
  15. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Once one of those guys get $700,000 they'll talk about how they were at the hospital when his kids were born.
  16. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:waiting:

Went to the UIC CBI game tonight. Only a few hundred people in attendance. Seems like they gave away almost all of the tix for free, including my 4th row, center court seats. None of the people in the stands were current UIC students as far as I could tell. Maurice Jr. Jr. flirted with a (smoking hot) cheerleader and got a free t-shirt.
  17. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

You've attended just as many UIC games at the Pavilion as I, an alumni, have. Unless this wasn't your first, then you've attended more.

I've actually been to 2 UIC games but one was at the United Center vs UIUC. UIC won.

:biglaff:
  19. Cheeses

UIC basketball? That can't be good.

:larry:
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Compared to what? There's a floor on how shitty you can be with all the talent in this part of the country. They're probably an average Div. 1 college team, which is to say that have a 6'9 guy who can effortlessly dunk and a few decent perimeter players from various area high schools. If you like basketball, that can be fun to watch up close for a couple hours while also watching college girls shake their asses. It's not like I drove to Peoria to watch HS games.

The best player on the opposing team was a 6'9 guard from Japan.
    WTF?!?
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    sycked likes this.
  21. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:crappin:
    chops likes this.
  22. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Fed and I were at the Pavilion for a HS showcase about two years back. I'm betting a team like Bishop Gorman or the Memphis team (Harrison, I think) could give UIC a run for their money.
  23. y2chae

y2chae Panda

UIC basketball has been pretty much a joke for the past 15 years. Doesn't make much sense, just pay money to get someone willing to do the dirty work with CPS you could've been Butler before Butler and been in the Big East by now. I'm just assuming the people in charge at UIC are just morons because had they tried to invest money in basketball it would've given the school a more national problem, plus being able to ditch the Horizon League would've resulted in more money. I don't know if this current coach is any good but I figure if you had a class with all 3 star recruits that just developed over 3-4 years you could make a run as a mid major.
  24. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Once DePaul gets their new arena they'll become the powerhouse they deserve to be.
  25. Alanzo

Alanzo Well-Known Member

I was at this game too-- my wife went to UIUC. Embarrassing loss.
  26. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

The new Big East essentially turned into the Catholic conference, they absolutely would not have allowed a massive public school in.
  27. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Forgot they became basically a basketball only conference with the Catholic leftovers when all the other major schools went to the ACC.

New goal. Pay CPS players. Become mid major power. Get into the AAC which is filled with giant public schools.
  28. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

UIC is leaving a lot of money on the table in a lot of areas. Low-tier area law schools live in terror that they might open UIC law school, which is essentially a license to print money. To avoid the consequences of this, John Marshall approached UIC about becoming UIC law school, which is essentially asking permission to throw money at UIC without requiring them to do any of the messy work of actually starting a school from scratch. Then there's the campus. So many of the buildings, including two tall ones, look like ass because they're naked concrete. It couldn't possibly be THAT expensive to just cover them with some plastic panels and signage. Spending a few bucks to spruce up the campus would result in more applicants, especially as the area around the campus just gets nicer and nicer.
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah the ugly campus is probably my biggest gripe of attending that school. (That and 75% of the TAs couldn't speak English well but I'm sure that's common in most huge urban universities)

They are a lot of new modern looking buildings, but yeah the two tallest ones are just ugly blocks of concrete.

Run by morons.
  30. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Retardation is Illinois
  31. y2chae

y2chae Panda

At least the tuition is still relatively dirt cheap. It's $5k a semester and with it's location you can live with your parents and not pay for any room and board. UIUC and ISU both cost $15k a semester.

UIUC is considered a better school and top 5 in civil engineering. Yet my boss, me and one other co worker got the same job and pay as all the UIUC grads in my group.

I still think DePaul is the biggest rip off in the area. You pay close to $40k a semester when you could go to Loyola for half as much if you still want to go to a private Catholic school.
  32. Cheeses

$40K a semester?

:what:
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Being in one of the most desireable areas to live in Chicago probably inflates the cost
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Oh wait DePaul does a retarded quarter system. It's more like $20k a semester.
  35. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

DePaul isn't anywhere close to Loyola though. Also, it seems every single young teacher that thinks they're going to relate to the black inner city kids and have a Dangerous Minds breakthrough moment went to DePaul and is originally from the NW Burbs.
  36. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Close as in academics wise?
  37. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

He must not mean that, since Loyola is better academically.
  38. BeviBall

Going to Gotham for the SS.

:ecstasy:
    Deuce and chops like this.
  39. chops

chops knows the brett favre of divorce

DePaul carries a little more weight in the Chicago Business world when getting a job.

Otherwise :shrug:
  40. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Academics. Doesn't Loyola blow DePaul out of the water?
  41. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yes it does
  42. Cheeses

Aren't both Loyola and DePaul nominally the same type of religious order in their origins? Franciscan or Jesuit or some shit?
  43. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Exactly, which is why the idea of paying for DePaul over Loyola is retarded. Which was the point I was trying to make.
    Deuce likes this.
  44. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Loyola are the Jesuits, DePaul is Congregation of the Mission
  45. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The best argument for Loyola (if you're a straight dude) is that Loyola has 2 chicks for every dude.
    No.
  46. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

IU gets Archie

:notbad:
  47. zmz

48. BeviBall

49. zmz

Called it like a year ago. I'll have to dig up the post when I'm not on Tapatalk. He's going to kill it at IU
  50. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

[​IMG]

zmz breaks another story. Best insider in the biz.