*Around MLB Haps - 2015*

Discussion in 'The Other 29' started by IWMB, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Watching Twins/Tigers at my desk. Good start for Price, 6 up 6 down.
  2. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

JD Martinez homers, then Avila hits a 2 run shot. 3-0 Tigers

:flush:
  3. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I'm watching Blue Jays/Yankees — Tanaka is looking great so far.
  4. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

2018 all star game awarded to Washington, making it 4 NL parks in a row

2015: Cincinnati
    2016: San Diego
    2017: Miami
    2018: Washington

:cmon:
  5. samram

samram Bon Vivant

And you know the Coo are going to demand one soon after they've gone through the trouble of turning the place into a mediocre 21st century park. The Braves have a new stadium opening in the next couple of seasons for no good reason, so they'll need one too.
  6. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Good thing the game doesn't count for anything, right?
  7. gbergman

gbergman Legendary Drunken Youth

All are newer ballparks that have yet to host an All Star game.
  8. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

Gotta justify all that taxpayer subsidizing somehow. I would not be surprised to see Atlanta in 2019.
  9. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

So far, the losing teams have combined for 13 runs in 12 games.
  10. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

Procello getting $82.5 million over 4 years.

:mcnabb:
  11. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

Sucks there's no day baseball on today.
  12. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

One of the stupidest MLB things. There's momentum in a new season and then half the teams are off and nobody plays until 6pm.
  13. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah they have day games I think every other day this week, why not keep it going
  14. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

The home teams set the start time. If none of them want to play day games, what is MLB supposed to do?

The west coast teams don't even play their openers during the day, no way they're gonna play game 2 then.
  15. Cheeses

Cheeses Social justice for everyone but white men Cupcake Mod

16. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

In 2016, the AL will be designated as the HOME team!!

See, they fixed it for us!
  17. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I don't know, understand how to market their league properly and capitalize on the momentum of opening day? :shrug:
  18. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

How do more games people need to skip work for do that at all?

19. sox1970

sox1970 Smarter than Terry Bevington

I don't care about the second day not having day games (although it's surprising).

It bugs me that Baseball doesn't promote Opening Day better. First, it should be opening day for all 30 teams. Lose the Sunday Night game--sorry ESPN...go pound it.

Then, make it 15 day games (It's Opening Day, not Opening Night, or Opening Series, or Opening Week) with about 5 games at noon, 5 games at 1pm, and 5 games at 3pm central time.

And last--start the season on Thursday, not Monday against the hype of the NCAA. Have the day to yourself. Opening Day should be the Thursday before the Masters starts, and the season should end on a Wednesday Night--not against NFL Sunday.
  20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I don't get what you gain not having the Sunday Night game. You complain they shouldn't go against CBB and NFL, but want to get rid of a game where they have the night basically all to themselves? Pick a side.

And what is the gain from having teams who don't want to have day games play in one? I watched a lot of CLE/HOU because it was on at 6 with nothing against it. Nope, better to have nothing going on in the evening when people do their primary TV watching because...:oldman:.
  21. skottyj

I'll be watching the 8 games at the same tonight on DirecTv.
  22. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Tonight is like October: No Cubs
  23. skottyj

Well then that's going to look stupid. I didn't know how many games there were tonight I just know that there's the 8 game display so I went for it.
  24. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Oh, I see.
  25. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Would you get the local game on there anyway? Or do they all have to be games in the EI package?
  26. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

They should build an ultimate Opening Day Park with 15 baseball fields facing inward on one super field and have all teams playing at the same time. There's a good chance a donger hit in an AL Central matchup could land on an NL East field.

Imagine the HYPE
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  27. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Why bother having home openers during the day at all?
  28. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Clearly people are willing to take off for Opening Day. I don't get what your point is. Are you even making one?
  29. sycked

sycked If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today.

30. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Not really, I just don't think it's that crazy to think some teams could afford to do a day game on Wednesday & Thursday and make sure Opening Night/Day turns into Opening Week — seems like a way better way to market than one game Opening Night, a cluster of games on Opening Day then half the teams taking a day off the next day.

More than simply the lack of day games, half the league with a day off today seems a bit odd.
  31. Cheeses

I'm with Fedex. Major fail by MLB not having at least one or two afternoon games today.
  32. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

One of the few times when MLB has the undivided attention of the sports world.
  33. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

The day off sucks for sure. But Cheeses I don't know how you can call it a "major fail by MLB" when start times for non-national TV games aren't something they have any say on.

Let's face it, the majority of people would rather their team be playing at night so they can watch/attend it after work. That is who the Marlins, Rays, Brewers, DBacks, A's, M's, Dodgers, & Flubs are scheduling for, their own fans who don't give a rats ass what's going on league wide. Not nerds like us who wanna slack off at work.
    Cheeses likes this.
  34. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

What undivided attention? Everyone's attention is on their jobs. It's the middle of the afternoon on a Tuesday, for fuck sake :lol:
    CaptainBallz likes this.
  35. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

You're right, I can't think of any sporting event that builds hype and intrigue during the work day when people have their undivided attention on their work and not any sort of sporting event. OH WELL :shrug:
  36. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

:mcnabb:

You can't seriously be comparing nearly meaningless 1st week of the season baseball to a 1 and done playoff tournament, that most people have at least a little bit of coin invested in.

C'mon dude, you're better than this.
  37. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I'm really not.

MLB fucking sucks at marketing their league. I firmly believe they can make Opening Night/Day/Week much more important than they do. Would simply putting a few games on during the day or making sure every team plays the next day do it? Who knows but I think it's worth a try.
  38. Cheeses

Me and a few MLB loving coworkers would have plenty of time for fucking off and either watching the game live or on Gamecast.

:shrug:
    FedEx likes this.
  39. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

If there's one thing American desk jobs are all about is undivided, constant attention to your work and no distractions.
  40. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I'd enjoy it too.

But like I already said, we aren't the target. You guys think teams should sacrifice ticket sales so we have something to do in the afternoon?

Hey Brewers, play a day game today no one will show up to so your fans can watch Gameday in the office. Great marketing!
  41. Cheeses

42. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

:stanley:
  43. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

A team like the Dodgers won't draw because they have back-to-back day games? Obviously in hindsight the weather sucked but the Cubs could have easily played a day game and not lost any significant amount of ticket sales.

Plenty of teams in the league that wouldn't lose a dime running back-to-back day games during the opening week of their season.
  44. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Plus revenue streams for teams are going to be mostly due to TV money (or in the near future for teams that haven't cashed in on the RCN boom) so losing a small percentage of revenue for a better marketing outlet might be beneficial in the long run.
  45. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Go look at the Dodgers schedule. They play at 4:50 on May 13th for some reason and at 5:10 on Memorial Day (they don't even play a day game on Memorial Day!) Other than that, they don't play any other M-F games not at 7:10. So obviously they've done their homework and decided that day games during the week aren't any good for business.

And Ricketts is doing everything in his power to get as far away from day games as possible. Only 6 of them M-Th this year.
  46. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Still to this point no one has done anything to prove what makes day games "better for marketing". The teams pretty clearly see them as terrible for the most part :shrug:
  47. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Well maybe not the day games but at least have 12 games on what is basically the second day of the season.
  48. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I, for one, fucking hate day games on non-holiday weekdays. Given the schedule and travel requirements I understand it's a reality of MLB. But they suck and should be avoided at pretty much all costs.
  49. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yeah, Chae, I totally agree that the off day is shit. Don't think you'll find anyone who thinks otherwise.
  50. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

No, I don't have anything that definitively says day games the day after Opening Day would be better for teams and better for the league's perception but I'd like to think they'd get more coverage on major media outlets, etc. Honestly, I don't even care that much about the day games, that's a semantics argument. Doesn't honestly bother me much at all.

The day off is the big issue and completely retarded. There's no reason ESPN.com's homepage should look like this the day after Opening Day:

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.