A wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by maurice, Mar 20, 2009.

1. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The NCAA Div. I finals are going on in StL this weekend, and they're being broadcast on ESPN2 or 8 or whatever. Iowa is crapping the bed a little bit, but not their man man Metcalf. That dude is a fucking monster. Also, look for a guy from NorthMotherfuckigWestern to win one of the weight classes (again).

What, were you expecting this thread to be about something else?
  2. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Was watching it earlier, and some dude from Ohio State who wrestles at 141 looked like he was 40
  3. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The finals were outstanding. Metcalf lost and, with a few seconds left, his opponent celebrated with a back handspring. That was a bad idea, since Metcalf was right next to him. Wackiness ensued.

Fuller should be interested to learn that like half of the finalists went to HS in PA or OH.
  4. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Is there a video of said wackiness?
  5. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

How did I miss this thread? Turns out I missed the tournament too. Anybody know how Edinboro University did?
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

The national champ at 165 is from Edinboro, and they had one other guy in the finals. They finished 6th in the team standings, behind Iowa, tOSU, Iowa State, Nebraska, and Cornell.

The Big 10 dominated. All 11 schools finished in the top 25.
  7. Quaye

Quaye I basically hate Jeans

you know high school wrestling's real right?
  8. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Here's the (video camera pointed at the TV).
  9. Infinite1

Infinite1 Master and Ruler of the World

Thats not wrestling ?

Did Elite XC just get bought ?? They are advertising Shamrock vs Diaz ?? I thought they were dead
  10. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

EiteXC essentially is dead. Strikeforce bought most of the contracts. Hence Shamrock vs. Diaz, Lawler vs. Shields, etc.
  11. Infinite1

12. GaelicSoxFan

GaelicSoxFan Buys Kroger brand pop

What about Kimbo Slice?
  13. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I think he's a free agent.
  14. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

15. Fuller

Wow, that was epic! Dood was like a deer in the headlights. Very impressive, almost like a reverse Fireman's Carry...
  16. Fuller

17. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

18. Fuller

19. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

Damn you MARSTELLAR
  20. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

21. Infinite1

Oh this is real wrestling ?? :bolt:
  22. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

You already made that post . . . in this thread . . . 2 1/2 years ago.
  23. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Div. I finals going on now. Big 10 raping everybody up in here:

Team Results heading into the finals:
    1. Penn State 124.0
    2. Minnesota 94.5
    3. Iowa 87.5
    4. Cornell 86.0
    5. Lehigh 57.5
    6. Oklahoma St. 57.0
    7. Ohio St. 56.5
    8. Illinois 53.0
    9. Virginia Tech 35.0
    10. Michigan 34.0
  24. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

25. Fuller

Really looking forward to Jordan Oliver v Logan Stieber at 133. I'd love to see Chris Honeycutt snab Edinboro's fifth National Champion. Also, nice run for Megaludis after taking fifth in the Big Ten tournament. For this true freshman to be wrestling for a title is quite an accomplishment!
  26. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

On ESPN now.
  27. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Megaludis deserves credit for getting that far and for two close points matches with McDonough, but it's disappointing that he really attempted no offense in either match. It's almost like he was shooting for a narrow loss.
  28. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

I'm not going to pretend I know a thing about amateur wrestling but I've enjoyed watching these kids.. Wish we would have won that last one in sudden death. That black kid Ruth dominated his match.

deep dicking
  29. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Ruth and Taylor are just phenomenal, but Molinaro is my guy because he's like 4 feet tall and grinds down lanky motherfuckers like he's some kind of Canucklehead. Great way to cap off his career.
  30. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

My brother told me there's a UFC guy rising with a PSU background I think he said his name was Davis?

deep dicking
  31. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Yeah, Phil Davis was national champ for PSU in 2008. He headlined the most recent UFC in Chicago which was broadcast on Fox. His opponent at that event wrestled for MSU. Davis currently is the wrestling coach for champ Dominick Cruz's team on The Ultimate Fighter, Friday nights on FX.
  32. BURGH

BURGH Lafferty, Daniel

:901: :901: :901:

deep dicking
  33. Fuller

Watching on the DVR now. Oliver got robbed. I don't understand how the red did not give him the takedown at the end. Congrats to Stieber. He could be a four timer
  34. Fuller

I bet Molinaro is glad Dake moved up another weight this year!
  35. Fuller

Taylor is a machine!!! Ruth is doing an impressive job of avenging last years loss to Amuchastegui!
  36. Fuller

I have to say it was disappointing to see Quentin Wright lose in OT. I remember when he first put himself on the map as a sophomore at Bald Eagle pinning Matt Dunn at the Beast of the East. He will be Penn State's only Senior next season. Penn State loses Wade and Molinaro, but they slip redshirt Andrew Alton in Molinaro's spot. Talk about reloading!! Their roster is SO stacked...
  37. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Wright is as talented as Rush and Taylor, but he hasn't been nearly as consistent.

PSU will be loaded as long as Sanderson is running things.
  38. Fuller

They add Gulibon at 125 next year. Nico will bump to 133. Luke Frey will probably battle Martelotti for 141. Then the two Altons. I feel bad for poor Dirk Cowburn. He will probably transfer out I'd imagine. All they need is a killer HWT...
  39. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Finally got a decent wrestling coach in Bport, so maurice jr. #1 started training a few weeks ago at age 6. Seems plenty young to me, but remarkably some kids start at 3 or 4, so he's got a little bit of a learning curve before he's ready to compete. He seems to love the sport, his training partners, and his coach who wrestled at Iowa under Dan Gable and still competes in his mid-30s.

#1 has been doing BJJ for awhile with a number of different instructors. He entered his first BJJ tourney today and won gold in 2 divisions.
    #nonhumblebrag
    After the second title match, the opposing coach lost his mind and challenged me to a fight. His world champion instructor and several of his students (including the referee) told him to stop being a sore loser and chill the fuck out.
    :facepalm:
  40. Fuller

That is really cool. 6 is a great age to start.

I hear they are looking for a good public defender in Pymatuning Township, PA ;)
  41. itsnotrequired

itsnotrequired Has Had Sex With His Wife At Least Thrice Can Post in Locked Threads

:andruw:

my dummy son is seven and can't even ride a bike

big boner
  42. Fuller

43. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Kind of an obvious choice. Well, unless you're uptight about child molestation.
  44. Zoso

Zoso *autistic screeching* Cupcake Mod

I'm liberal on all matters.
  45. y2chae

y2chae Panda

46. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

47. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

:andruw:

Boy/girl distinction is irrelevant before puberty. I've seen dozens of girls who would smash all but the very elite boys in their weight class, and all of them want to challenge themselves by competing against boys. The worst "injury" I've seen among the little ones was a bloody nose.

The bottom line is that it's not for everyone. Kids who love to wrestle really should be allowed to wrestle because it's great for them in sooo many ways. For kids like the one who ran away, it's best to learn that about them at a young age.
    Fuller likes this.
  48. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

It kinda sucks, though, because wrestling probably is important to a parent of the kid who ran, and there's always a risk that they'll take it out on the kid. Maybe not now, but the long-term prospects are potentially problematic.

I know a dude from Indiana who's, therefore, a huge basketball fan. He never played basketball himself, sucked in his one year of wrestling, and is essentially a doughy pussy, so he was excited at the prospect of living through his children's athletic accomplishments. His oldest is the tallest kid in his class, so he ended up being the C on the bball team, but he's soft as hell and has aspirations of being a stretch-4. He's not THAT tall so, in HS, he'll probably be a perimeter player.

Unfortunately, his grammar school team has no other tall kids, so his dad has spent years trying to turn him into a tough low post player. It's never gonna happen. The kid just simply doesn't have it in him. But, instead of recognizing that, the dad constantly berates his kid about not being strong enough and makes him practice plays with his back to the basket that never work in real game situations. What a shitty way to grow up.
  49. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah especially at age 4 or 5 there's likely to be no advantage of being a boy vs a girl. My parents probably should've enrolled me in wrestling because I was hyper around that age. I'd hang out with a kid of a family friend and my parents said I'd always be tackling him when he took my toy and he'd cry and I'd have to apologize. My parents did sign me up for tae kwon do (of course) when I was around 7 or 8. I quit after a year though, I found it boring, you just learn a bunch of kicks.
    maurice likes this.
  50. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Stretch 4 is more valued in today's game than a back to the basketball center. Dad should be happy.