2017 World Baseball Classic

Discussion in 'The Other 29' started by IWMB, Feb 23, 2017.

1. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

Trout is the best player in the game and the nation. This is why I ask. I agree others should be on there, Hosmer while a nice player isn't the same caliber as Rizzo.
  2. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I don't hate the starting the 11th with runners on either. I don't want it in the day to day game but in this it's pretty cool for this tournament. I can't remember if it was Hosmer or Duffy last night said that Saturday night even with the roof open it was the loudest they had ever heard in a baseball game; even with playing in a World Series twice. That place was rocking.
  3. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Spring training is pretty much a waste of time for position players that know they're Opening Day starters. It's for pitchers, guys that need to prove themselves, and younger guys to get experience and be able to work with the ML staff.

It's definitely hard to take team USA (and Canada for that matter) seriously without their A team.
  4. skottyj

Could it be a contract thing?
  5. AnthraxFan93

While I do love the idea overall of the WBC.. in 6 months, is anyone going to care?
  6. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

It's simply the player's choice. With a lot of agent influence, of course.
  7. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

You can say that about any international comp sans the World Cup. Olympic hockey is fun, for instance, but once the season restarts it's like it never happened.
  8. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

The atmosphere last night was incredible. It helps when everyone from the fans, to the players are having fun and not so stuck up about everything.

As far as the runners on, it's a super cool concept but does have its flaws. For one, if you want to cite "pace of play" and "speeding the game up" the potential for more runs in extra innings and thus more pitching changes, etc. does anything but speed the game up. If you want to add excitement and scoring, then go for it. DR used the runners on rule to their advantage having the first guy bunt (which almost everyone is going to do immediately), Colombia then walked to load the bases (which almost everyone is going to do and again, doesn't speed the game up) then blew the doors of Colombia with bases loaded, 1 out. It's a lot of fun and definitely adds some extra element to otherwise mundane extra innings. Be warned though, the 11th inning lasted like an hour on its own, contributing to what I think was the longest WBC ever.
    chops likes this.
  9. skottyj

It sucks now that the games here will move to the West Coast so they'll be starting at 9pm local time. No chance of me staying up for those.
  10. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

There's a big difference between pace of play and finding an ending. I think it's safe to say that a 7 run inning would be an outlier, so citing the time it took to complete is pretty irrelevant. Most of the time, the game will end soon (in innings, not length of time), which it did, and that's the intent - to not use up pitching. Colombia used 2 additional pitchers to get 1 out each, which is better on them then potentially burning through a couple innings a piece.

Overall, I think the rule is fine in a tournament like this, but should never see a ML game. Extras is part of the game - having to manage a pitching staff through it and then the effect is has on the week ahead.
  11. skottyj

Since the All-Star games doesn't mean shit now you can do it in there too. I just can't imagine an important game down the stretch being decided like that.
  12. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Oh, I agree. Absolutely use it for WBC, even All-Star Game if you want. I'm mostly talking from a major league game perspective. It's a little too gimmicky and easily exploitable.
  13. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

FWIW, I believe the previous game Japan/Netherlands—which also went to the 11th—was the longest WBC game in history before this one. They both eclipsed five hours.
  14. skottyj

Looks like the Isreal dream is gone. This has to be the worst thing to ever happen to the Jews.
    Deuce, y2chae and chops like this.
  15. AnthraxFan93

You think for being the chosen ones.. they have better luck at life.
    whitesox901 likes this.
  16. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

17. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

18. s=D

s=D Message Board Historian

More like IsFALSE hopes.....heh...heh

I'm sure they could build a better team with acquiring more talent by expanding their scouting department or country borders.
    sycked likes this.
  19. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Palestine would have beaten Japan.
    Deuce likes this.
  20. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Deuce would be their #1 starter (by default)
    Deuce, Ziggy and y2chae like this.
  21. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

They have WAY better hurlers than Deuce.

Or at least guys with more practice throwing stones at Jews.
    Deuce likes this.
  22. Deuce

Deuce Has Dysentery

23. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

The USA team, which is made up of the best group of guys they could actually convince to play in this thing, made it to the final round and face Puerto Rico for all the championship tonight.

Starting pitcher is Marcus Stroman, who could have technically played for Puerto Rico since his mom is from there.

I'm sure we'll all be up until 11PM or later to see the final score. :|
    chops likes this.
  24. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Palestine would have won the whole damn thing.
    Deuce likes this.
  25. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

26. y2chae

y2chae Panda

27. Iwritecode

28. Cheeses

Cheeses Involuntary Immigrant Cupcake Mod

29. skottyj

I for one have loved this tournament. I watched the game last night like it meant something to me. Probably cause it seems like this is the first time the US players have acted like they give a shit.

Article on MLB.com ranking the US vs PR position by position. They gave second base to PR. I just don't understand (at least yet) all the Javy Baez love. The US has Kinsler and Daniel Murphy. I'm sure someone will come on here and say something about WAR or BABIP or some shit that I don't care about. But USA all the way fucktards.
  30. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Glad Southwest added ESPNs to their channel lineup; I'll be able to watch tonight, albeit an Espanol.
  31. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

You're actually not wrong this time though.

Baez only had a 2.7 fWAR last season largely sunk by his shitty offense.
    Kinsler had a 5.8.

Also, BABIP doesn't matter when comparing players unless you want to figure out which one may have been more lucky than the other the prior year :tittyfuck:
  32. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

But THAT NO LOOK TAG

:jerkoff:
  33. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

The obsession on twitter/cubs fans was so insufferable
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Still haven't seen it
  35. skottyj

If the game goes extras tonight will they start the 11th with runners on?
  36. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Yep, same rules apply
  37. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Might go tonight - who knows, cares.
    Cheeses likes this.
  38. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Is it even sold out?
  39. Unregistered

I don't see tix on Ticketmaster, so I guess? Probably mostly scalpers hoping LA is suddenly interested in the WBC now that USA is in the championship.
  40. y2chae

y2chae Panda

41. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

42. Unregistered

Sick site, dillweed.

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 1.04.31 PM.png
    zmz and chops like this.
  43. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

44. Iwritecode

45. zmz

46. zmz

Cheapest ticket is $40 before fees

:pass2:
  47. Cheeses

Cheeses Involuntary Immigrant Cupcake Mod

Isn't there anyone's desk nearby you could steal a pair off of?
  48. zmz

49. zmz

50. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I think the typical 10 year old kid is going to see how Puerto Rico plays and acts and think they are the cooler team. I'll be :waiting: on maurice to chime in and share maurice jr & jr jr thoughts