2017 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports Haps' started by Prope, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Pace just spoke to the media, and he was asked about whether or not he had to make the trade, this is more or less what he continually said:

"We had calls for our pick at #3 with teams that wanted him, and we knew SF had calls. We had him graded high, and when you have a top 5 pick, and you can get a QB of this caliber the last thing you want to do is sit on your hands and lose out. I wanted to be aggressive."

He ended it by saying, "I hope people are as excited as I am, because QB is the most important position in football and you cant be a great team until you address that position."

Friendly reminder that Jay Cutler, who most of us (including me) were excited about, cost the Bears 2 first round picks, and in return only 1 playoff win.
  2. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Couple second round names:
    Obi Melifonwu, S, UCONN
    Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
    Malik McDowell, DE, Michigan State
    Forrest Lamp, OL, W. Kentucky
    Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
    Budda Baker, S, Washington
    Antonio Garcia, OT, University of somewhere in Texas
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy I Can Get Laid in Germany

That should end the whining from those who think Pace got fleeced, but we know that not the case and anyway it depends on how Mitch plays. I think he's at least the best QB of the draft, but that doesn't mean shit. Also, Pace will probably trade down, but I'd like Obi or Cam.
  4. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Pace has a 5 year deal, the end of which would coincide with the end of Trubisky's third year, at which point we should know what he is. So he's put it all on the line with this and if it works, he'll get an extension and if it doesn't, he'll be gone. I don't have a big problem with that.

The one thing he should push for is to fire Fox after this year so he can get a coach and OC that can develop a QB over those last 2 years.
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

The Trubisky pick show Pace is in charge. Fox wants to win now, the Pace thing shows he's confident in his job security, like you said he's going to at least see out his 5 year deal because they wouldn't fire him until you know if Trubisky is legit or not.
  6. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Still don't agree with the trade but yeah, it's clear the Bears thought someone was going to trade with the Niners and take him or the Niners made them believe something like that would happen.
  7. y2chae

y2chae Panda

With what they gave up for him, I'm not saying he needs to start opening day but he needs to start by at least week 3 or 4. Which I'm fine with, fuck Glennon. But makes the Glennon make less sense. Just sign Sanchez and use that money on AJ Bouye.

Or was the Glennon signing part of an elaborate ruse to try and prove they weren't interested in a QB?
  8. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

I think it will be a bit farther down the road than week 3 or 4. I think they will take their time with Trubisky. And that is fine with me. We're not going anywhere anytime soon
  9. chops

chops never met prope

Am I the only who doesn't like this shit? Coupled with the Glennon signing.

Fuck it, maybe it'll be awesome in the long run, but :yawn: and :fuckitall:
  10. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I don't really get the point of such a ruse. They still paid a big price to move up and they were the only team that could guarantee SF still got their guy.
  11. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Pace made it clear yesterday in his talk to the media that Glennon is the starting QB. He also talked about the Favre/Rodgers deal, so it seems that they are going to take the process slow. That being said, you know what you're getting with Mike Glennon so I can't imagine Fox wouldn't want to put him in as starter as soon as possible.

Also, Pace made a joke that BOMBED, and then he had a story about Trubisky's car that only he laughed at. I think the word 'dork' is an apt description for Ryan Pace. Just a real weird dude.
  12. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Fox would probably prefer Glennon because he's a VETERAN. And he's probably sad it's clear Pace expects this to be another losing season of rebuilding.
  13. Fuller

Fuller Trump had no ideas, he just went too far

Their schedule is pretty front-loaded, but the 2nd half looks relatively winnable. I think the top end for this team could be 8-8, but 7-9 is probably realistic.
  14. y2chae

y2chae Panda

It's looking like 5-11
  15. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Adam Jahns tweet storm:

Adam Jahns‏Verified account @adamjahns 1h1 hour ago

1. The 49ers might have been playing their hand well, but there were absolutely teams calling to move up for QBs.

2. The Browns, Chiefs, Texans and Cardinals all had interest in moving up. Told that Browns and Chiefs coveted Mitch Trubisky.

3. The #Bears wanted Mitch Trubisky. He was their draft at that point. Bluffed or not, team made correct move to get him. Regret = worse.

4. In the end, the Chiefs and Texans did actually move up to draft quarterbacks. So don't doubt their attempts to move up at all.

5. Don't forget what happened in 2014. #Bears were stunned when Aaron Donald was selected right before them. How'd that work out?

6. Regardless of what teams were offering 49ers' deals, the existence of them spurred bold action by #Bears. I wouldn't fault them for that.

7. Don't think the Browns wanted Trubisky? Think again. They passed on Deshaun Watson. Trubisky was their guy from get to.

8. There are always ways to recoup picks in the draft. #Bears stuck close to value of swapping picks from 3 to 2.

9. In the end, if Mitch Trubisky turns out to be a franchise QB for the #Bears will anyone remember what they traded? Time will tell.

I don't know if I agree with #7, but everything else seems legit.
  16. Team Speed

Team Speed Well-Known Member

I don't dispute any of that but the 49ers had a well known target in the first that only the Bears pick would guarantee them. So at some level I feel like the Bears were still negotiating against themselves.

It's over now - hope they can get some picks back today / tomorrow.
  17. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I'd expect multiple moves during the second to acquire more, but Malik McDowell or Forest Lamp are tough players to pass on.
  18. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Don't hold your breath. I agree with sam that Trubisky and Pace will be evaluated in 3 years. With what they gave up for him, he'll need to be a budding star at that point (which is pretty unlikely, but I digress). Knowing that's what's at stake, Pace should give him most or all of this entire year to develop before pressuring Fox to start him. I mean, dude played out of the shotgun in college and, reportedly, never even heard the term "hard count" in his life. He's got a long way to go.
  19. y2chae

y2chae Panda

He needs to be Derek Carr by year 3
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Also Bears could've just drafted Carr themselves in 2014
  21. chops

chops never met prope

Comparing Glennon to Favre seems dumb for Pace. Learning under Mike Glennon? Fuck, that's like learning how to get divorced from cheeses.
    BeviBall, sycked, Fuller and 4 others like this.
  22. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Bad example, cheeses has been divorced so many times he's an expert. He's the Brett Favre of divorce, and I'd absolutely go to him for advice on the matter.
    Ziggy and chops like this.
  23. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I don't think he was comparing the players so much as he was comparing the situations.
  24. chops

chops never met prope

Shitty comparison from Pace, Rodgers learned under a known good QB, Mitch is gonna learn under a pud with a backwards neck.

I'd probably be less pissed over the draft had the bears not signed glennon. Fuck that guy.
    4-12 here we come.
  25. samram

samram Bon Vivant

I'd be surprised if Favre even knew Rodgers' name.
    maurice and chops like this.
  26. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

I'm still seeing a lot of people just so pissed off about this, whether it's Facebook, twitter, or some other boards I go to, it all seems pretty simple to me:

Trubisky is either ends up a franchise QB, and you never remember about the picks traded, or Trubisky sucks and both he and Pace are gone.

This franchise has been to the playoffs 5 times in the last 25 years, and finished 3-13 last year, but now all of a sudden trading two 3rds and a 4th to address the QB position is going to set the franchise back???
  27. Unregistered

This will also be a good way for them to say "we tried trading up for a franchise QB and it didn't work, back to drafting only defensive players in the first round."
  28. chops

chops never met prope

Hopefully he ends up being the franchise QB, but he's got shit for an OC, shit for a "starter/veteran" to learn under, shit for a head coach.

If Trubisky was their guy and the guy they've been coveting, why the fuck did they sign glennon? Fucking grinds my gears.

You can't change shit now, but I'm still not liking the whole offseason so far.

The thing about the trade is, you didn't give up all that much as the Bears still have a 4th and who cares about next year's 3rd round pick at this point.

I really hate Mike Glennon is my main gripe.
  29. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

Isn't it a good thing to let rookie qbs sit the first season to learn?
  30. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Capture.PNG

:deepsigh:
    chops likes this.
  31. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

Possible that Pace didn't know until a couple hours before.

That would explain Glennon / Sanchez as well.
  32. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Maybe (hopefully) he'll be mad enough to resign.
    Ziggy and chops like this.
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Maybe the team has already decided Fox's time here is about over. He certainly wouldn't have approved of drafting Trubisky, he would've wanted an impact guy like Adams
  34. SABRSox

SABRSox Hollywood Mega-Hunk Bob Balaban Cupcake Mod

John Fox hasn't done shit here to warrant being the driving force on whom we draft.
    Ziggy, Fuller, Prope and 1 other person like this.
  35. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

It's actually the third year where things get turned around. He swears it is.
  36. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

Trubisky says his favorite player growing up was Walter Payton. #Bears

:ok:
    chops likes this.
  37. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Should have said Zorich or Butkus. That order.
  38. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

"Hey Mitchell, does your piece of shit car say anything about your character?"

Chicago media...
  39. Unregistered

"Trubisky, that's Polish right?"
    Cheeses likes this.
  40. samram

samram Bon Vivant

Payton was probably dead by the time Mitch was in kindergarten. Hell, Neal Anderson was probably retired by the time he was born.
    chops likes this.
  41. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

"Do you put ketchup on your hotdogs?"
  42. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Should've said his favorite player ever was Kyle Orton
    chops likes this.
  43. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

HASHTAG DICK PORTILLO
  44. chops

chops never met prope

anyone have a transcript?
  45. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

HASHTAG HIZZONER
  46. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

HASHTAG MALORT

HASHTAG FRONCHROOM
  47. SABRSox

Bears trade back in second round and recoup much of what they gave up yesterday.
  48. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

Not a bad trade.
  49. SABRSox

Obi Melifonwu in Rd 2?
  50. Prope

Prope RIP soxwon

They had him in the senior bowl, so they know a lot about him. Certainly a possibility.