2016 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by IWMB, Jul 21, 2016.

1. BeviBall

BeviBall No wallet. No crack. Not me.

I don't know why they didn't take the first offer for any of those guys. Unless, there were no offers for any of those guys.

:hippie:
  2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I was wrong, Will Smith isn't even a LOOGY, his lefty splits are bad this year and career wise he's not that much better against lefties. His WAR is -0.2 and he gets traded for a 2015 first round pick and a tier 2 catcher who could perhaps develop into a starter. Meanwhile the Sox keep Dan Jennings, a lefty who has been effective against both sides of the plate and has a WAR of 1.0. Sox keep him because I guess a shitty team needs half of a pen?
  3. BeviBall

Benintendi would've been an amazing addition. Doesn't have that NL stench to him either. I'm OK with them not taking that deal even though there may have been a PTBNL but we all know they won't do shit in the off-season.
  4. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah the value of Sale and Q won't drop in the offseason, they could get higher due to more teams in the market for them, more assets to trade in the '16 picks. However I fail to see how the pen arms, Melky, Frazier value increases. Gonzo and Shields could increase in value if they finish strong but that just leads me to believe the Sox think they have a rotation and will keep them to compete.
  5. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Unless the PTBNL was Moncada or Devers (and it wasn't because PTBNL are never elite prospects) it's a bad deal for the White Sox. You should be thrilled they turned down that deal, not just "ok".
  6. BeviBall

I haven't been thrilled with anything SOX related since TCQ slammed his bat.
    Team Speed likes this.
  7. Stockdale4Veep

Stockdale4Veep Knows the Dewey Decimal System

Attendance wise they lost 6-7k after the white flag and only got it back because of that 2000 team going good and only 2 players from said trade got them there.

Since 06 they've been bleeding fans, coupled with a good cub team to compete for local attention, Sox could wither even more into obscurity if they go :fuckit: sell.
  8. Stockdale4Veep

How many more sales promo games left this season for Sale to drop his value?
  9. Stockdale4Veep

:tcq:

Edit: wtf this isn't a tag anymore?
  10. y2chae

y2chae Panda

As IWMB said, the Sox make most of their revenue off TV money. The attendance revenue is secondary. The Marlins and Indians are drawing worse and in contention and still making moves.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

And with much smaller payrolls to boot.
  12. Unregistered

Unregistered The Facebook of Fucking Cupcake Mod

Hahn mentioned they have a lot of "special" players that it would take a lot to part with. Which can only mean they've come to the conclusion that Robin is largely the reason why they're so bad?
  13. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

The idea that attendance drives revenue in 2016 sports is pretty great.
  14. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

I like where this is going!

[​IMG]
  15. y2chae

y2chae Panda

http://fansided.com/2016/08/02/mlb-trade-rumors-5-players-traded-waiver-deadline/2/

Dumb as fuck column of the day.

Does this moron know how the waiver wire works? Sale wouldn't clear and probably get claimed by the worst team in the league. Then that's the only trading partner the Sox have.

The Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox, Pirates, Cubs have the best farm systems in the game... also why would a shitty team give up their farm to get 1 player?
  16. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

When shit for brains like Hawk Harrelson were running teams things like that were possible. Now nearly every GM is an MBA and those deals have essentially died save for a few super rare cases.
  17. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

Wasn't it KW who made that stupid comment about not being able to spend a dollar because he only had 50 cents? The team has always considered the attendance a limiting factor in the payroll.

The White Flag trade has been the absolute worst thing to happen to this franchise in the entire JR era. They are absolutely petrified of having a White Flag part deux and losing fans again. Even though the attendance has been steadily decreasing every single year since 2006 (minus a completely unexpected and unexplained uptick last year :dunno:).

It's not quite down to to 1998 levels, but it's not far off either. We'd probably be better off ripping the band-aid off all in one shot rather than just bleeding out over the years.
  18. y2chae

y2chae Panda

KW is full of shit.
  19. Retarded Ox

Retarded Ox I wish Quaye would hug me.

This trade would be way down on the list of worst things to happen to this franchise in JRs era, even if the Sox happened to catch Cleveland that year they werent doing anything in the playoffs, the team wasnt good. they traded three upcoming free agents for a bunch of minor leaguers, two of which were major contributors to the White Sox in 2000. Two of the worst things that immediately pop in my mind is JR handing GM duty's to Harrelson and even worse JR being the major player in taking away a season from one of the better White Sox teams in their history.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  20. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah I think it's almost universally agreed the white flag trade was a good idea in the long run
  21. skottyj

skottyj Owner of Many Baseball Hats

I thought that was Jay-Z.
  22. Iwritecode

Iwritecode Writing Code Again

I'm not talking about the trade itself. I'm talking about how it's made them gun shy in doing a total rebuild because they are afraid of losing the fanbase. Instead we get this re-tooling BS year after year.

Yes it was good in the long run but the FO has seemed to have forgotten this.
  23. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

My buddy the Yankees fan at dinner tonight. Sycked has met, skotty saw kill that Bullitt.

"The Cardinals didn't make any deals. Well, they got that one guy I've ever heard of."

Can't make this shit up.
  24. AnthraxFan93

AnthraxFan93 BASEBALL GURU

Sat by my phone last Monday while on vacation waiting for a move... Part of me wanting Sale gone, part of me stating wait till the off-season ( you will get more for that pile of white trash). Then nothing came out of Monday.. Either the Sox as they always do are asking too much for their players, or no one really wanted their players. This is outside of Sale and Q.

That's why they are making moves.. the Sox haven't been in contention in close to a decade. The avg division place since their last playoff appearance is 3rd, without factoring in this current season.
  25. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

[​IMG]
    BeviBall likes this.