2016 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Take my Konerko, please?' started by IWMB, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Cheeses

Cheeses Depraved Pervert, Wilco Fan Cupcake Mod

2. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Not sure why you keep bringing up contracts. Robertson is a little overpaid but there was definitely a market for him given all the bums switching teams. Frazier and Melky are not on bad contracts at all. Dan Jennings and Nate Jones are extremely tradeable pieces. Shields is getting half his money paid by the Padres. Gonzo is making $1 million.
  3. CrazyButtfuckMcGee

CrazyButtfuckMcGee No wallet. No crack. Not me.

Never too late to change the site's name to CoolGuyHaps. Seriously, why do we do this to ourselves?
  4. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

The Sox are never a team with truly bad contracts, they simply don't let themselves get crazy with their money. That's been one of the more frustrating parts of this regime. You sign guys out of their prime to decent deals, wonder why they suck, rinse repeat. There's not a single guy on the team that I'd say has a "bad" contract. Danks is about the biggest example, hell even Adam Dunn was on a pretty favorable deal IMO.

That's what makes it all the more frustrating. This isn't like trading, a, well, James Shields, and having to pay half his salary. They have guys with small amounts of value on friendly contracts and they can't move them. That's pathetic.
  5. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

You simply CANNOT hold onto David Roberston through the deadline.
  6. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

It's absolutely inconceivable that they couldn't move Melky, Gonzalez, or more BP arms.

They apparently made a mind-numbing executive decision to stand pat.
    EbayAndBeerHaps.com
  7. Cheeses

melaniasjackshaps.com
  8. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

You guys, we're only in year two of the 3-year plan (I think). Let it play out.
  9. y2chae

y2chae Panda

10. Cheeses

11. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Is it really that surprising that teams didn't want to give up much value for a guy owed over $25MM with a 0.3 fWAR and ranks 88th in xFIP among relievers this year?
  12. zmz

zmz By the Banks of the River Chicago

13. whitesox901

whitesox901 Aubergine Dreams

Red Sox fans are really the fucking worst.
  14. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

No.

What's surprising is the Sox still think Robertson provides them with value.
  15. CaptainBallz

CaptainBallz Windowlickin' Good

Pretty, pretty fucking done here... Gotta break the news to +1 that scout seat haps probably not gonna happen
    maurice likes this.
  16. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Jokes on Chae for following Simmons.
  17. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

His new show is a ratings disaster.

:shocker:
    CrazyButtfuckMcGee and zmz like this.
  18. CaptainBallz

19. whitesox901

20. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

I feel like none of the second tier guys the Sox could have moved (Melky, Frazier, Robertson, Shields) will clear waivers. So they probably really are done until offseason by which point they'll have convinced themselves to buy again.
  21. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Pay half his salary and move him for a C level prospect. It's the fact he's still on the roster on a team going nowhere. Also, as stated before you could've gotten legit assets back for Melky, Frazier, Jones, Gonzo
  22. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Robertson and Shields may clear waivers but probably not, it only takes 1 team. No chance Melky or Frazier clear- neither is on a bad contract.
  23. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I don't follow him because I think he's smart
  24. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

I don't think shields clears. He's bounced back well enough that he's probably opting out anyways - so likely a short term rental for acquiring team.
  25. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I saw the first episode. It was so horrible.
  26. CaptainBallz

:slowclap:
  27. Cheeses

28. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I highly doubt he's going to pass up $44 million.
  29. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Plus he's due what $25 million for the next 2.5 years once you take out the Padres money? The guy just has to be a #4 for that to be worth it, so yeah you're probably right.
  30. CrazyButtfuckMcGee

All I know is that whoever is dumb enough to watch the next game will be treated to 9 innings of

:allgood:
  31. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Why are we taking out the Padres money? He's still being paid that.

He'd need to get $14.66MM/yr for 3 years just to match what he's got coming.
  32. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

Someone start a Year 3 of the Plan: Offseason Wish List thread.
  33. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Was thinking about going Saturday for the pullover giveaway but

:fuckallthat:

Too pissed to spend any money on this team for the next couple weeks. Maybe I'll go to a game on the cheap when they are out of it in late August or September
  34. y2chae

y2chae Panda

I was talking about his appeal to a team re: waiver claim. I doubt he opts out as well. No one is giving him $22 million a year
  35. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

Ah, I see.
  36. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

When?

Oh right, they have 3% odds to still make the playoffs.
  37. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

I think I'm going Saturday. We shall see.
  38. Team Speed

Team Speed Fun Bad

I didn't realize shields was 34 - so yeah he's probably not opting out.

There's a chance it's a total dollar decision for Shields at this point. He may be able to get a 3 or 4 year deal for more overall money and not have to play for the shitty Sox if he opts out.
  39. y2chae

y2chae Panda

We should have a final season outing between me you and sycked where we just rip on the team all game. That one game we all went to in April was probably the most entertaining I've been to all season since we just made fun of Hawk for the last 4 innings.
    sycked likes this.
  40. IWMB

IWMB Resident Umpire

41. whitesox901

42. Cheeses

43. maurice

maurice Gangster of Love

I have tickets to one more game this year, then I'm done. Hopefully the new kid is starting in CF that day (and every other day).
    Which is both why he won't opt out and why he should clear waivers. Any team that claims him is on the hook for the remaining contract and doesn't get the money the Sox received in the trade.

That being said, the way they're standing pat today indicates that they have him penned into the 2017 rotation. Just zero intention to flip him after a quick Cooplfxm. It's like these fuckers have never heard the phrase "buy low, sell high."
  44. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Yeah pretty baffling that a baseball front office doesn't seem to understand simple economic concepts
  45. CrazyButtfuckMcGee

Sox totally think this team will put it together, as is, in 2017. Stupid Indians just got too hot.
  46. Cheeses

Indians deal their best prospect for Andrew Miller.

SOX deal Zach Duke for a box of chewing gum.

:earwax:
  47. FedEx

FedEx Delivers

CHARLIE LEESMAN...

yeah, Let's do it.
  48. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Tilson called up!!!
  49. Cheeses

50. y2chae

y2chae Panda

Reeks of 15-16 Bulls. Just bring in Hoiberg and Kerr/Warriors magic will happen!!!!